Author Topic: Audio recording question  (Read 10456 times)

Offline Stratcat

Audio recording question
« on: May 31, 2021, 03:39:01 AM »
Hi all, quick question
Can the Genos only record audio in .wav format?
The sx900 gives the choice of wav or mp3 but .... I don’t see anything like that in the Genos
Thank you
Jim
Best Wishes,
Jim
PSR S970, PSR SX900, 1987 Strat+

Offline overover

Re: Audio recording question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 06:15:10 AM »
... Can the Genos only record audio in .wav format?
The sx900 gives the choice of wav or mp3 but .... I don’t see anything like that in the Genos, ,,,

Hi Stratcat,

yes, Genos can record Audio exclusively in .wav format (44.1 kHz, 16-bit, stereo), but can NOT record Audio in MP3 format. (This is when "Audio Quick Recording" is used.)

In addition, on the Genos you can not change (as with the SX900) the storage location of the recorded Audio file between User Drive and USB stick, but the Genos saves "Audio Quick Recording" .wav Files always in the internal User drive.

By the way: "Audio Multi Recording" (in the proprietary ".aud" format) also uses the mentioned .wav format in the background. The user has not direct access to these .wav files in "Audio Multi Recording". But, as described in the Genos Reference Manual (page 98), .wav files can be exported or imported.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 06:21:57 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Stratcat

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 02:26:19 PM »
Thank you for your reply Chris
Hopefully the next Genos will be friendlier like the SX900 in this regard
Jim
Best Wishes,
Jim

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 02:39:08 PM »
Thank you for your reply Chris
Hopefully the next Genos will be friendlier like the SX900 in this regard
Jim

Hi Jim,

I don't think the current state of the Genos regarding "Audio Quick Recording" is really a problem. It is generally recommended to always record a WAV file and to convert it to MP3 format later (on the computer) if necessary. Only with the WAV format do you have the full recording quality. And with a size of the Genos User drive of about 58 GB, in my opinion it is not a problem that you cannot optionally record directly onto the USB stick. (At least there are no problems with USB sticks that are "too slow". ;) )

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Stratcat

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 03:15:16 PM »
Chris, I do understand that wav quality surpasses the quality of a compressed mp3 file.
However to upload it to Box (per se) which I have limited storage and many files already stored there
I am trying to limit the size, and MP3’s quality are good enough for me in my situation
The conversion process after recording is fine but is time consuming to at least some degree and direct recording to mp3 is handy to have.
There was a reason they put it in the sx900 and that reason exists for all future keyboards as well.
Jim
Ps I hope I’m not sounding ungrateful for all the great things the Genos offers but there’s nothing wrong with improvements

Best Wishes,
Jim

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 03:32:02 PM »
Use Audacity with lame for converting to mp3. It is very fast, and the result is good.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page