Author Topic: midi files: I just dont get it.  (Read 6355 times)

Offline winternotes

midi files: I just dont get it.
« on: May 30, 2021, 04:10:25 AM »
I am fine with styles. However, sometimes I would like to use a midi file. I have files for specific songs. However, when I want to play a specific song, I have to go find it every time in this massive collection that I was given. I would like to be able to create a folder somewhere that I could copy a selected files to. Then I would like to be able to change the key of the midi file and save it in the new key.
Reading the manual is useless to me.
I have come across "create a new folder" However, I do not know if that is for styles or songs. Thank God I have Grand children to help with my phone. However, this is over their heads.
Most of the time, I will be using styles.
I may want to switch in the middle of a gig to a midi file.
Where would that be.
I have tried copying a midi to a folder. That works. However, I have not been able to save the file when I transpose it. I am a confused mess !!
Thanks
Having fun in retirement

Offline panos

Re: midi files: I just dont get it.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 09:42:36 PM »
Hi winternotes,
In order the changes you have made to a midi file to be applied,
you have to go to
Song Creator and make any change you wish(by also calling the Mixing Console)
and afterwards go to
Channel
5 Setup
and press "EXECUTE"!!!
Now you can save your modified midi.

As for the folders:
A folder made by a user can contain several things that the user wants to be in that folder.
Usually for our convenience, we are giving the folder a name like "My Midi Songs" and we are saving ONLY midi files in that folder, so we know where we must search for our midis.

To have access to your midi files you have to press Song Select (top right on your keyboard)
or the letter "A" (beside your screen).

By pressing one of these two buttons the keyboard "understands" that you are searching the folders to find midis.

So in a folder of yours that there are only styles in it,
the keyboard will show you that this folder is empty (of midi files) when you press the letter "A".

But if you press the letter "E" on that same folder, now the keyboard will show that there are styles in it, and it is not empty at all.

So press the appropriate letter each time around the screen, when you want to search your folders for:

Styles(E)
Midi Songs(A)
Multi Pads(I)
Registrations(J)
and voices(F,G,H)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 08:31:55 PM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline johan

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 04:41:58 PM »
An alternative way to easily switch to the correct midi file is to store the corresponding midi file in your registrations. In this way, you only have to search for the correct file once (when you create/adapt you registration) and then during a gig, you can easily start playing the midi file. Just keep the midi files on the same location once you have created the registration!
This is how it works on my SX700 but I guess the same applies to the Tyros.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline winternotes

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 10:29:33 PM »
Thank you all !! I will try these suggestions !!
Having fun in retirement

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 11:26:52 PM »
Excellemt tutorial Panos!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: panos

Online overover

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 11:33:34 PM »
Hi winternotes,

please note that the Song must be set to the beginning so that the current settings can be written with "Execute". As a precaution you should therefore always press the SONG STOP button (not PAUSE!) before pressing "Song Creator > Channel > Setup > Execute". (And of course don't forget to finally SAVE the changed Song as a file.)

It is also important that all boxes are ticked in the Setup display in the upper area "SONG". The lower boxes, however, normally should NOT be ticked. This is especially true for the checkmark at "KEYBOARD VOICE", because this would, among other things, write the current Keyboard Voices (Right 1-3, Left) into the MIDI file. And this would cause problems when using Registrations. (See also the attached picture.)

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)