Author Topic: MusicSoft Styles  (Read 10862 times)

Offline NASAMike

MusicSoft Styles
« on: May 25, 2021, 08:28:02 PM »
Looks like the Yamaha MusicSoft site has styles now but it seems that a ton of the ones they used to have aren't available.  Am I missing something?

Thx,
NASAMike

Offline pjd

Re: MusicSoft Styles
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 06:39:26 PM »
Hi --

I don't want to tee off on Yamaha Musicsoft too much, but many months after launching the new Web site, it still looks like a "work in progress." I miss the range of MIDI files once available through Musicsoft, which was (once) my first on-line resource.

Yamaha needs to seriously evaluate this ongoing project...

Still enjoy playing, so none of this weighs heavily on my mind -- pj   :)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 10:45:58 PM »
Well, a big company like Yamaha can do better! But this goes for many other web sites too.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 11:30:19 PM »
My bet is Yamaha is giving up on MusicSoft as they can't make any money at it.

I loved it when I started as they had great styles, well worth paying for. But nowadays very few people pay for styles. There are too many free on the internet.

My belief is that this indiscriminate sharing of styles has led to the demise of MusicSoft, and other sites like it. And we're worse off for it, because good styles are hard to find, but that's life.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 11:59:45 PM »
I’m with you Fred. And not only has the free stuff spoiled the market for legitimate style creators, but you typically have to cull through hundreds of the free styles just to find the odd gem. It’s seldom worth the effort.
Mike

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 07:54:38 PM »
Hi
If you want styles or midi files for Genos, Tyros ,Ketron and Roland

https://www.d-o-o.de/

Choose the English flag at top of page if you are not German
This company have a great range at reasonable cost

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:57:00 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 08:29:43 PM »
I have downloaded 5 styles as a test run to see what they are like. I will post my comments when I get a chance to try them.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: NASAMike

Patrick Phipps

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 10:13:48 AM »
Not sure about MusicSoft Quality as I havent accessed any yet, but the quality of of most of the midi files leave a lot to be desired. Where can the best quality midi file be found? Please

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 10:37:05 PM »
Not sure about MusicSoft Quality as I havent accessed any yet, but the quality of of most of the midi files leave a lot to be desired. Where can the best quality midi file be found? Please

Please see John's response in Reply #5 above.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline NASAMike

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 06:08:41 PM »
My e-mail chain with Yamaha:

The Styles Library doesn't have all the old styles from the previous library. Are they going to be available or are they available elsewhere? I currently see 208 styles but there used to be many hundreds more.

Thx,
Mike F.

--------------------------------------------------

Hi Mike,

Thank you for contacting Yamaha.

Unfortunately we had some trouble with the licensing for the style files and many of them had to be taken offline.  We actually had to take the whole style file library offline for about a month recently while we worked out some licensing issues.

Our team is working on resolving the licensing for our style file collection and hopefully we'll be able to have many more files available online in the near future.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Kind Regards,
Thomas

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 09:03:28 PM »
I found the best midi tracks come from Hit Trax https://www.midi.com.au/ and most can be purchased with embedded lyrics. If you want the embedded lyrics, be sure to select the Karaoke midi.

good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline NASAMike

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 02:42:47 PM »
I purchased 5 styles to try out from https://www.d-o-o.de/

They were very good! 

Had to tweak a few instruments/effects to give them a little more pop on my s970 but very good quality overall and I'll be buying many more from them I'm sure.

Thx,
NASAMike

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 12:31:01 AM »
Yes, I can confirm, the 5 styles I bought were all well made. Not just technically, but had obviously been done by someone with real musical and arranging chops. The intros and endings were a pretty accuratel reflection of the original recordings, and the main variations all good. Good enough that if you are willing to play your own intro/ending you will almost certainly find they work well for more than just the song named.
They give reduced prices when you buy several, and at around $5 each are excellent value. And the process of buying and downloading was pretty slick, and another point in their favor is that they take PayPal. So if you already have a PayPal account,  payment is both fast and safe. 
I had never bought from them before, and knew nothing about them prior to this purchase, but would definitely recommend them based on this experience.
Mike

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2021, 04:44:58 AM »
If you are looking to use midi song files, you ought to just down load the karaoke version of the song from YouTube.

The song styles I see listed in the Country section at the doo.de site are 20 years old or more. The few I saw when I sorted by “NEW”, I have already created my own custom song style. Those were by Josh Tuner and Billy Currington. 

Yamaha just needs to make the on board Style Creator system easier for users. I keep cracking the warped logic needed to assemble using the current mess they offer to us, but it has taken me years to get as far along as I have. I wish I had some actual piano/music theory knowledge, I think it might speed things up making the styles. However, I generally use math to figure out what notes I need to record to get the keyboard to play the correct notes on occasion.

Offline Oldden

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2021, 08:31:51 AM »
If you want a look for some free midi files, there is a search option on vanBasco.com
Also the karaoke player which plays midi files with lyrics is very good, it’s free but windows only if I remember.
Oldden