Author Topic: External Monitor with Genos?  (Read 3632 times)

Pincho Paxton

External Monitor with Genos?
« on: May 25, 2021, 11:39:54 AM »
I want to use an external monitor with my Genos to see it's menus when it is connected by MIDI, and played remotely across the other side of the room.

Any tips, and ideas... anyone tried it?

Offline acparker

Re: External Monitor with Genos?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »
There are USB -> VGA adapters that are compatible with the Genos.  It will display the menus, or other screens as needed.  I have one that I use at Church to project the lyrics on the wall for the Congregation.

Unfortunately, I don't have it with me ... I left it with the projector at the Church.  But, if you search these forums, you should be able to find out which one(s) are compatible.  That's how I came across it.

Hope this helps!

Adam

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 11:58:51 AM »
Hi Pincho,

I have answered you here in detail:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,50787.msg459783.html#msg459783

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline valder

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 06:13:48 PM »
I use the USB 2.0 UGA Multi display adapter
supporting dvi vga hdmi

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 06:58:05 PM »
I use the USB 2.0 UGA Multi display adapter
supporting dvi vga hdmi

Hi valder,

thank you for this information!

Please note that the abbreviation "UGA" just means "Universal Graphics Adapter", so it is not a designation of a specific BRAND. Various such "no-name" devices are offered as "USB 2.0 UGA (Multi) Display Adapter".

If the adapter you are using works with the Genos, you have been "lucky", so to speak, because the Genos only supports a few, very specific chipsets with graphics adapters.

Even with graphics adapters that have already been tested by Yamaha, it could happen that the manufacturer "suddenly" installs a different chipset in a later production batch, so that a device of the same type bought later will NO longer work on the Genos ...

Could you post a link to a source of supply for exactly the adapter you are using (e.g. on amazon or ebay)? Is it maybe this adapter?
>>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/123940526698

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 07:20:52 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 02:11:03 PM »
Did anyone ever get a full size picture on their screen. My picture will not go full size without sort of tearing at the top. I can get a small picture in the middle of my screen which is sort of OK.

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 02:59:10 PM »

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 03:05:32 PM »
Good morning
follows the genos 1.44 update link with the compatible adapters. I bought mine on the Mercado Livre:
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1880466760-adaptador-de-video-usb-20-x-vga-dvi-hdmi-multi-display-uga-_JM#position=14&search_layout=grid&type=item&tracking_id=f711646f-b2f4-4010-b8fd-0787879cd0e0

https://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm:39-1274342/

Thanks for this information, valder!

By the way: There are several different links that all pointing to the same version of the "Compatible USB Display Adapters List for Genos". The latest version of this list obiously is "As of Jul. 2019".

Best regards,
Chris

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 03:26:10 PM »
Did anyone ever get a full size picture on their screen. My picture will not go full size without sort of tearing at the top. I can get a small picture in the middle of my screen which is sort of OK.

Hi Pincho,

the native resolution of the Genos Main Display is 800 * 480 px. Modern (or relatively large) TFT displays usually have a much higher native resolution. The actual size of the displayed image depends primarily on the external display. Often you can scale the displayed image in the settings of the display, i.e. display it larger. It would be ideal if the aspect ratio of the external display matches that of the genos (~16 : 9.6).

I recommend you to send a PM (private message) to Frank Steinbrecher (username "frankmusik") here in the forum. Frank is the owner of a music shop in Germany, works very closely with Yamaha Europe and has, among other things, dealt very intensively with the subject of "external display on the Genos".

Here is a link to Frank's forum profile:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=15297

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 06:24:17 PM by overover »