Author Topic: Can you turn Genos off with smart switch?  (Read 1916 times)

Pincho Paxton

Can you turn Genos off with smart switch?
« on: May 24, 2021, 06:36:30 PM »
I have a lot of gear connected by MIDI now, so I have got a Smart Extension that can turn everything off in one go, but the Genos has a long closing down routine so I don't know if it is saving something, or doing something important during shutdown.

Can I shut off it's power without using its power switch, or not?

Offline alans

Re: Can you turn Genos off with smart switch?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 08:10:37 PM »
I think maybe it's not a good idea,it's like switching off your computer/Ipad etc. by pulling the plug out of the mains socket,computer based technologies need to organise themselves for shut down in the proper manner otherwise the startup can be disorganised for them.I would stick to a proper shutdown if I was you.Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 09:27:48 PM by alans »
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline overover

Re: Can you turn Genos off with smart switch?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 08:21:50 PM »
Hi Pincho Paxton,

I do NOT recommend simply "switching off" the Genos by disconnecting the power supply. The Genos basically is a (Linux-based) computer, and there is a good reason that the power switch is designed as a software-controlled button (which should also be used).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari