Author Topic: Good News!  (Read 3413 times)

keynote

Good News!
« on: May 24, 2021, 03:18:42 AM »
It's been a while since I've posted on the forum so greetings to all. I hope everyone is doing fine. I wanted to share some good news regarding my Genos and the User Drive where I store all my MIDI files. I had a situation where after I booted up my Genos and I went into the USER Drive to play midi files the files opened quickly and everything was great. BUT, after about 5 to 10 minutes everything started to slow way way down. Pressing the screen to load a midi file sometimes took several minutes to load which needless to say is quite unacceptable. This went on for months. Well, I recently resolved the conundrum. To make a long story short I utilized the Genos network Storage feature that connects the Genos to a Computer as a Hard Drive (F) in this case, where you can see all the storage contents from the Genos on your Computer. When I connected Genos to my computer I noticed a Windows 10 message pop up saying the Genos USER Drive had error(s) on it. I went ahead and allowed Windows to scan the drive and it said it repaired the error(s) successfully. So after disconnecting and restarting the Genos and going to the USER Drive I fiddled around with some midi files and BOOM! Works GREAT no matter how long I have the Genos on. No slowdown, no glitches whatsoever. So I am really relieved after spending months trying to figure out what could be causing the problem. I finally have a fix. How the USER Drive acquired errors on it in the first place I have no idea. If anyone else is having issues with their Genos USER Drive there is hope. :) I was thinking I might have to send my Genos to an authorized Yamaha service center. So I also saved some bucks in the process. Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 03:20:41 AM by keynote »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, KeyboardByBiggs

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Good News!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 04:06:06 AM »
Good to hear. Glad to see you got the problem solved, and others may benefit.

Just so others are clear, the feature is called "USB Storage Mode" (a throwback to days gone by), and is activated by turning the power on while holding down the Playlist button.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 10:28:45 AM »
Hi keynote,

thank you for your report regarding the repair of the Genos' User drive in USB Storage Mode using the Windows function "Check Disk"! Before doing this, please always save (copy) the User Drive data on the computer!

Incidentally, Yamaha does NOT recommend this method. The recommended method in the event of problems with the User drive would be to first back up the data (which can be done relatively fast with the Genos via the USB Storage Mode mentioned), then to FORMAT the User drive again (using the format option in "Utility > Storage" on the Genos!) and then to copy back the saved data from the computer to the User drive.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Runner4Fun

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 01:00:03 PM »
Question. Is the Genos User drive an old style spinning HDD or an SSD? If it's an SSD as I understand them, they don't give you errors. They simply stop working completely and must be replaced. An HDD may have a few damaged sectors but you can often recover all the data. Did keynote's drive have corrupt files and hence, why Windows could fix it? I always like to know why something broke before I try to fix it.

At any rate, I'm glad keynote's Genos is now working normally :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 01:52:08 PM »
Question. Is the Genos User drive an old style spinning HDD or an SSD? If it's an SSD as I understand them, they don't give you errors. They simply stop working completely and must be replaced. An HDD may have a few damaged sectors but you can often recover all the data. Did keynote's drive have corrupt files and hence, why Windows could fix it? I always like to know why something broke before I try to fix it.

At any rate, I'm glad keynote's Genos is now working normally :).

Hi Lee,

the Genos User drive is located in the internal eMMC Flash Memory. This is similar to an SSD drive, but eMMC chips are much cheaper.

With mechanical hard disks it can also happen that the file system, ie "the formatting", is damaged. So here, too, it does not always have to be a question of mechanical damage to sectors. And with flash memory (e.g. SSD, eMMC, USB sticks or SD memory cards) the file system can be damaged (corrupt) for whatever reasons. This could happen, for example, if the power fails during a write process.

Newer Windows versions such as Windows 10 or 8.1 should generally be able to properly repair FAT32 file systems, even if, like the Genos, it is an eMMC memory. The "safer" method, however, would be, as I said, in such cases to simply reformat the user drive (after previous data backup).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor, Runner4Fun

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 02:15:30 PM »
Hi Lee,

the Genos User drive is located in the internal eMMC Flash Memory. This is similar to an SSD drive, but eMMC chips are much cheaper.

With mechanical hard disks it can also happen that the file system, ie "the formatting", is damaged. So here, too, it does not always have to be a question of mechanical damage to sectors. And with flash memory (e.g. SSD, eMMC, USB sticks or SD memory cards) the file system can be damaged (corrupt) for whatever reasons. This could happen, for example, if the power fails during a write process.

Newer Windows versions such as Windows 10 or 8.1 should generally be able to properly repair FAT32 file systems, even if, like the Genos, it is an eMMC memory. The "safer" method, however, would be, as I said, in such cases to simply reformat the user drive (after previous data backup).

Best regards,
Chris
Thanks for that, Chris. Useful info to know ;)!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.