Author Topic: 88 weighted key piano with arranger functions  (Read 5028 times)

Offline guitpic1

88 weighted key piano with arranger functions
« on: May 23, 2021, 12:00:11 AM »
I’ve always had my eye on a Clavinova.  I have owned a DGX series and bought one for the grandkids.

Also, I own a Genos.

But to get a quality 88 weighted key piano with arranger functions...the leap from an $800 DGX to a $12,000 Clavinova 809 seems a bit of a jump.

Am I missing something here?

Tx
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline mikf

Re: 88 weighted key piano with arranger functions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 02:39:53 AM »
Well it’s a bit more than just the keyboard, it’s a superior piece of furniture, good speaker amp system but I agree they are pricey, but I think some of it comes from the very different marketing/distribution strategy. They are generally sold through up market city center piano stores. But you don’t need to go to the 809 to get a nice piano with decent keyboard feel. The 805 is very good, but also look out for a deal on a 705 they want to clear, or even used.  I have one I bought new just when the 8– - series came out and it’s very nice. They sold it to me for much less than the 805 because they wanted to clear it. I played it  side by side with the 805 and 809 and couldn’t find enough difference to fork out the extra thousands they wanted.
Mike

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 09:21:02 AM »
I agree with Mikf, there is certainly no need to splash out on the 809. I have the 805, having upgraded from the 605 and can recommend it to anyone seeking a good ‘piano’ .
You also have to think about the size of the 809, have you got the room for it?

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 08:05:11 PM »
The 805 and 809 are virutally the same size; but the 809 is about half an inch deeper.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 02:19:48 PM »
I understand that the CVP series has arranger functions.  Are arranger functions found on the CSP or CLP series?

Thx
guitpic1

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 02:34:07 PM »
No. Only the CVP in the Clavinova range has arranger features.  But some of the DGX series have some some scaled back arranger features, mainly auto accompaniment.
Mike

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 05:27:57 PM »
I’ve always had my eye on a Clavinova.  I have owned a DGX series and bought one for the grandkids.

Also, I own a Genos.

But to get a quality 88 weighted key piano with arranger functions...the leap from an $800 DGX to a $12,000 Clavinova 809 seems a bit of a jump.

Am I missing something here?

Tx

Roger,

Question for you.  I know you have recently purchased a DGX670 are you dis-satisfied with the key bed that you are now thinking a CVP series?  I ask because I have a CVP 307 that I'm very happy with  but I'm looking at the DGX670 for a part time winter escape cottage we have.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 05:30:20 PM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 05:32:59 PM »
Hello Steve

I’m not dissatisfied at all. 

I’ve just been curious about the Clavinova series and arranger functions.  And I would have thought that more than just the CVP series would have arranger functions

I might consider a Clavinova some day

Tx
guitpic1

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 05:40:44 PM »
Hello Steve

I’m not dissatisfied at all. 

I’ve just been curious about the Clavinova series and arranger functions.  And I would have thought that more than just the CVP series would have arranger functions

I might consider a Clavinova some day

Tx

Roger, Thanks that's what I need to know for a few minutes I was thinking maybe I should purchased a used CVP.  I really need to get a hands on of the DGX670 I'd prefer it to the Roland FP30x ( same price range). I like the idea of some arranger features but I'm not ruling out a higher end Roland FP60x or even the FP90..........time will tell. I've been a Yammie "fan boy" for years so I'm leaning Yamaha vs. Roland.   I will be selling my SX900 soon.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 02:30:04 AM »
Well, if you're wanting the same library of sounds?

The Genos is the same chipset as the CVP809 (the 6.1 speakers on the 809 are *incredible*)
The PSRsx900 is the same chipset as the CVP805 (both based on but scaled down from T5, but with Genos compatible Live! drums)
The CSP170/150 is the same chipset as the CVP705 and psrs970 (based on T4)
The DGX670 is a scaled down chipset from the CVP701/PSRs770  (based on T2, but with T4 drums)

The CVP307 is based on a T1 (but actually superior to the T1)
Which means while the speakers will be significantly inferior to your cvp, and the key touch a bit lighter, the sound chip is actually superior to our CVP300 series.

How crazy is that?

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 05:54:08 AM »
Everyone is different, but in general I would have thought that library of sounds matters less to piano players than accompaniment. And most people buying DGX our CVP probably are doing so because they are really piano players who want a bit ‘extra’.
Of course it is true that the sound library also matters on quality of the  accompaniment, but less so than for people who likes play with lots of different simulated lead voices, or synth type sounds.
Mike

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 11:22:39 AM »
Well, if you're wanting the same library of sounds?

The Genos is the same chipset as the CVP809 (the 6.1 speakers on the 809 are *incredible*)
The PSRsx900 is the same chipset as the CVP805 (both based on but scaled down from T5, but with Genos compatible Live! drums)
The CSP170/150 is the same chipset as the CVP705 and psrs970 (based on T4)
The DGX670 is a scaled down chipset from the CVP701/PSRs770  (based on T2, but with T4 drums)

The CVP307 is based on a T1 (but actually superior to the T1)
Which means while the speakers will be significantly inferior to your cvp, and the key touch a bit lighter, the sound chip is actually superior to our CVP300 series.

How crazy is that?

Mark, Thank you for the comparison/explanation of the chipsets found in the various keyboards.   I really found it interesting that the DGX many dollars less expensive than the 300 series has a superior chip in it.  A lighter touch than the 300 series will most likely be fine for my use.   

As a side note I watched a couple of your You Tube videos, nice work!

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 01:59:05 PM »
Everyone is different, but in general I would have thought that library of sounds matters less to piano players than accompaniment. And most people buying DGX our CVP probably are doing so because they are really piano players who want a bit ‘extra’.
Of course it is true that the sound library also matters on quality of the  accompaniment, but less so than for people who likes play with lots of different simulated lead voices, or synth type sounds.
Mike

Mikf,  Exactly why I'm looking at the DGX.  "and most people buying DGX are piano players who want a bit extra."

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline YvonP

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 03:01:47 AM »
Hello Guitpic1,

When you connect a device like iPhone, iPad, etc, with the Yamaha Smart Pianist app to a CSP 150 or 170, a P-125 or P-515 or other compatible model, you get many additional features, including music styles, capacity of setting several parameters of the instrument and many more exciting functions. I just looked at a few of many Youtube tutorials: impressive! And you benefit from a colourful, user friendly touch screen.

On a CSP, according to a video of Gabriel Aldort, you control about 700 voices, 450 4-variations styles, a VH2 voice harmonizer, and so much more. And the app is free.

I wish it was compatible with my Genos…

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 04:13:16 PM »
Interesting responses all.  Still, for the $$$, I have been impressed with the 670.

And, in answer to my original question, it appears the CVP line is the only other piano with styles…true?
guitpic1

Offline YvonP

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 06:03:33 PM »
Guitpic1,

The P-515 has 40 2-variation drum and bass only styles built-in: totally boring arranger, almost like an old rhythm box; i rented one for one day just to compare it to my Roland FP-80 I had then and the only thing I liked more on the P-515 was the speakers quality.

After my post, I went on Yamaha’s website to confirm that I was accurate about the Smart Pianist app: I will keep moderate about its features; I would just add that it works with a lot of recent Yamaha digital pianos, like CSPs, CLPs, CVP809 and several more, so to have a backup band with you on a Yamaha digital piano, you don’t have only two options, unless you don’t want anything else than the power cord connected to your unit!

And that app is way more than an arranger; but its features depend mostly on the instrument it is connected to: typically Yamaha!

I have it on my iPad pro 12.9 ( totally useless by itself, except to explore it ) and I wish I could try it on a compatible instrument eventually.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 06:07:02 PM by YvonP »