Author Topic: coughing voice - like in Ferris Beuller?  (Read 2700 times)

Offline jcm2016

coughing voice - like in Ferris Beuller?
« on: May 22, 2021, 09:22:15 AM »
My kid asked me if I can make the keyboard do what Ferris Beuller does with his - a coughing sound that changes pitch up and down the keyboard.  I didn't see anything in the manual or online.  Any thoughts on how to address this truly juvenile and not musical question?  Thanks

Offline Gleston

Re: coughing voice - like in Ferris Beuller?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 09:11:39 PM »
First you may tell us what is your keyboard.

Many most recent Yamaha keyboards have the option for sampling sounds. You can use the Yamaha Expansion Manager software and download a sound from computer to the keyboard.

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 09:40:00 PM »
For older models you can have 4 coughing sounds by creating an Audio Multi pad by pressing the pad buttons.
The pitch will not change though by playing an Audio Multi pad
(The format should be .wav and not .mp3).

The sound will remain the same as has been recorded.

By using a registration you can have as many audio pads as you want.

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 10:43:38 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  I have a PSR SX-900.  If I follow the path of a sampled sound through the expansion manager, will the sound be higher and lower up and down the keyboard?

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 11:42:23 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  I have a PSR SX-900.  If I follow the path of a sampled sound through the expansion manager, will the sound be higher and lower up and down the keyboard?

Hi jcm2016,

yes, when you import only one single wave file into a new, initialized Expansion Voice, this wave automatically can be played up and down the full keyboard. (The Original Key is set to "C3" by default.) You can of course then map each imported wave to only a certain range of keys (and also to a certain velocity range, if desired).

Note that a single wave can only be played sensibly over a certain key range. As is well known, the change in pitch is only implemented by playing back the wave (in this case also referred to as "sample") "slower" or "faster". And then this sounds a few keys lower or higher than the original pitch mostly no longer good (at least no longer "natural"). This is the reason that we normally work with Voices that are "multi-sampled". (Each wave/sample is used for about 3 semitones or preferably just for one single note/key.)

Please see also the attached picture!

If you have any further questions on this topic, please contact us again here!

P.S.
Please use Expansion Manager (YEM) V2.7.0, as the latest YEM version 2.8.0 is still buggy!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 12:04:13 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 08:34:31 AM »
Thank you very much for the guidance.

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 12:10:45 AM »
Many years ago I had an el cheapo Yamaha that would sample any sound.  I burped into it and played "Burp Jingle Bells" for my dad and I thought he was going to have the big one he was laughing so hard.

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 08:28:44 AM »
@ JeffM. - thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for, something super simple and easy for this silliness!!

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 09:18:14 AM »
@ JeffM. - thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for, something super simple and easy for this silliness!!

Yes, some cheap keyboards have such an onboard sampling option. But for PSR-S/SX models, Tyros5 or Genos, the only way is to use the YEM. ;)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)