Author Topic: How many play songs or just play around with their Genos  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Oldden

Hi.
Just wondering, I love my Genos and to be honest sometimes instead of playing songs , I’ve found I’ve spent a couple of hours , or more just trying various styles, trying all sorts of songs I’ve never heard of and not got the music to on a playlist or just playing with all the keyboard options instead of playing anything I know. Am I the only one to do this or is it common when you have a keyboard with so many options to play about with. Most days I just sit and play the songs I love, but now and again………..
Oldden

Offline EileenL

Re: How many play songs or just play around with their Genos
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 10:31:54 PM »
I spend hours on my keyboard just doodling to different styles and setting up voices for songs I want to play. Using style creator to assemble different parts of styles onto the one I want to use. Then I often create a Multi pad for it.
   All good fun.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 10:35:35 PM »
Oldden

Sometimes you have to put in the time to learn the instrument so you can get the most out of it.  Once that learning curve is done. It's all about playing songs.

As Eileen mentioned, half the fun is getting the styles just the way you want for a song too.

Anything is better than watching the boob tube! LOL

Rick D.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 10:57:38 PM »
I sit down at the keyboard intent on learning a new song. Then I start to fiddle around, I listen to styles and sounds, and before I know it, I have made a new song! So my list of cover songs is way too short, and my list of homemade songs is always growing :)
We must do whatever is FUN to do :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 06:37:33 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline rattley

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 11:38:46 PM »
Hello !

I spend hours and hours "doodling" with styles. Gary Diamond taught me a trick when auditioning styles.  He said to play the same song using different styles. Different tempos and style genres can give interesting twists to the status quo.  Just don't play a church hymn to a hokey pokey style !!!!!!   -charley

Offline Oldden

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 07:13:42 AM »
The biggest thing for me changing styles is when Christmas comes around. I must have played jingle bells , frosty the snowman and the rest on very style going, my favourite being Latin American. Mind you with the weather here in England being like Winter at the moment I might dig my Xmas song books out this weekend.
Wonder if my wife would make me some mince pies……
Oldden

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 11:26:11 AM »
Merry Christmas Oldden🌲🌲🌲 It is cold here too!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Oldden

tyrosman

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 03:03:36 PM »
i spend hours on end playing mine setting up registrations and changing new sounds trying out new styles diffrent multipads and never get board :)

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 07:21:14 PM »
Sometimes I learn a well known song, and sometimes I make up my own song. But my main goal is to make songs that sync to movies.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 10:04:56 PM »
My general settings are all set.  So, no need for me to spend time there anymore.

I use registrations. . . . .  so, for a new song, i spent a lot of time setting up the new song, including finding the style that i like, etc.   Once i am set, i commit everything to a new registration and save with the name of the song . . . . .  (I use a registration bank (up to 10 buttons) for each song)

So, most of the time on Genos, i spent it playing/singing/rehearsing  . .  . . but i do spend what to me seems like a lot of time in setting up a new song, but it is a process that i kind of like.

Hope this helps. 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 11:01:54 PM »
I use the chord looper a ton and I find that ironically it helps me memorize the chord changes since it takes me a while to get the chords right (these are usually complex jazz tunes).

I've had my Genos a year. Getting better and better, but many goals yet to achieve. "NO RAGRETS"!!!! 😂

Offline alans

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 09:02:39 PM »
As I have not used the Genos for quite a while I have become a little rusty and have had to re-aquaint myself with it,now I have given it some loving 😍 I am finding out once more what a great keyboard it is,so for me it really is just doodling time ATM ,hopefully soon I can get some music played properly,for me that is, HA HA,and perhaps get to post some songs on here

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos