Author Topic: My PSR S670 is now tuned in "G"! How do I get it right  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Denn

My PSR S670 is now tuned in "G"! How do I get it right
« on: May 19, 2021, 02:45:56 AM »
Hello. I recently bought a PSR S670. All seemed OK until I played it together with my Tyros4. Disaster, it is -5 semitones out of tune. I have done a factory reset twice, once by holding down the top white key and turning on the kbd. The other I tried installing the original settings from the setting on the kbd. How do I get the kbd to be back to match my Tyros? I know that my Tyros is true.
In the functions it says it is tuned to 440. Great that is what it supposed to be.
All the boxes in the memory and functions have been unticked just in case they stuck something different.
I have tried everything I can think of but it will not tune to my T4.
Anyone have any suggestions please?
Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline mikf

Re: My PSR S670 is now tuned in "G"! How do I get it right
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 03:53:28 AM »
I don’t think tuned to G is the right description for what is happening. Your 670 appears to be transposed 5 semi tones rather than wrong tuning. Check all the transpose settings.
Mike

DonM

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 06:55:18 AM »
I'm assuming you don't have anything connected via midi...
If it is still doing this after the reset, and you are not calling up Registrations before playing, that there may well be a problem with the keyboard itself. 
As Mike said, it appears that something is transposing the keyboard, but the reset should clear that. 

Offline Denn

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 10:23:21 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  I have been running Yamaha kbds for about 25 years and have not come across this problem before. I guessed that the transpose had somehow got locked into a style. This is what I did. I  turned off the kbd, held down the top white key and reset it that way but no way would it change. Went onto the Yamaha site and downloaded the update to the OS which said it was the same as what was installed. Puzzled to say the least. When I played a C on the Tyros it was the same as a G on the 670. Went onto the net and got an Oboe to play a "C" and recorded that sound as an MP3 from Audacity. Played that on the Tyros and it was exactly as I wanted. Then cleaned everything off the 670 and made a registration; Fxt@116, Tenor sax and Concert Piano. Saved that to the User drive and played "September in the Rain." That sounded fine so played both together and, by some how, the 670 was in tune again. I have NO idea of how or why the 670 was -5 transposed. Everything was set up exactly as my T4. Then it came right. I can only assume that the transpose was locked into a style but I don't know how that would happen.
And I did not even have to use the Australian Dictionary to explain to the thing what I wanted.
Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 11:30:51 PM »
Hi Denn,

in this case you would not have needed a Reset or reinstall the operating system. It happens again and again that the Transposition of the instrument is changed by Registrations (e.g. when using unknown Registrations, or because you have simply saved "wrong" transpose settings in one of your own Registrations).

To check which Transpose settings are currently set, just press the "MIXER" button on the S670 (the "MIXING CONSOLE" button on the T4) and go to the "TUNE" tab. Here you make sure that under "TRANSPOSE" all three parameters (MASTER, SONG and KBD) are set to zero.

Then press the EXIT button to close the Mixing Console display.

I also recommend checking the following setting: Press the "Direct Access" button and then the "TRANSPOSE -" button to call up the "Transpose Assign" display. Here you make sure that this parameter is set to "KEYBOARD" (NOT "SONG" or "MASTER"). You can use the Panel TRANSPOSE +/- buttons to set the transposition of the keyboard directly. (To reset the Transposition back to zero, simply press both TRANSPOSE buttons at the same time.)

Press the EXIT button to close the Transpose Assign display. This will also automatically save the setting in the System Setup.

It is best to save your preferred settings in at least one "Setup Registration". Be sure to have ticked all needed checkboxes in "MEMORY" dialog (at least SONG, STYLE, VOICE, HARMONY/ARPEGGIO, TEMPO and TRANSPOSE). To be on the safe side, you can also just tick ALL checkboxes when saving such a "Setup Registration". If an "error" should occur later (such as the current problem with the Transposition), you can reset the instrument to a defined state by simply calling up such a Setup Registration.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:25:44 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Denn

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 11:27:25 PM »
Hello Chris, Think I went through all of that. Downloaded the O/S from the Yamaha site and installed that and everything is OK, back to normal. Fortunately my student was not aware of the problem  as the kbd functioned in that key fine. It was only when I tried it with my T4 that I found a problem. Now all is sorted. Third party regs can cause LOTS of problems, split point, tuning etc. Have run into many of those but this one was a puzzle. Thanks for your reply, will keep it on file. Regards Den
Love knitting dolls

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 04:21:08 AM »
Transpose is one parameter that "could" have been saved in a registration memory or an OTS of a style.
The registration memory could save Style, tempo, transpose, etc....
OTS could also save tempo, transpose !!!
I void this issue by always turn ON the FREEZE button before I start playing a style. And make sure the FREEZE function freezes style, tempo, multipad.
Some friends of mine setup their keyboard using reg button to call out a style. Got burned a few times and learn to use FREEZE button.
If you check the transpose on screen and see a 0, but it still plays at -5. It is indeed a very STRANGE ISSUE.

Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 08:11:42 AM »
Transpose is one parameter that "could" have been saved in a registration memory or an OTS of a style.
I void this issue by always turn ON the FREEZE button before I start playing a style. And make sure the FREEZE function freezes style, tempo, multipad.
Some friends of mine setup their keyboard using reg button to call out a style. Got burned a few times and learn to use FREEZE button.
If you check the transpose on screen and see a 0, but it still plays at -5. It is indeed a very STRANGE ISSUE.

Transpose is not saved in OTS. It can be saved in registrations.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 10:54:32 AM »

Got burned a few times and learn to use FREEZE button.

As Fred said, plus:
Transpose is not just one value but three, because you can choose to apply it - or view it - for the Keyboard / Song / and there is also a Master.
So when viewing the value or setting it, make sure you are adjusting the correct one, (with Master normally set to zero IMO). Then save to registration  and  there should be no surprises.

John

Offline imzain786

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 08:21:03 PM »
Recently i have notice similar issue with my s670 and s970.
After few hours play, when i press C notte or another ramdom note. Its feel litttle oit of tune.
I also checked controller settting frequency is 440. Simultaneously  When i check my piano tuner mobile app, its shown litttle bit out of tune from actual note frequency..

If i decrease my controller settings frequency from default  its will be fine. Approx 398hz

Its seems that, due to too many changes registration banks it can be out notes frequency. Or  may be any IC heatup issue... Afterr few hours

« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 08:23:53 PM by imzain786 »