Author Topic: Is Yamaha Finished With SX- Updates?  (Read 8159 times)

Offline LaHawk

Is Yamaha Finished With SX- Updates?
« on: May 17, 2021, 03:53:15 PM »
Do you have any thoughts on Yamaha issuing any further updates to any of the SX- arrangers?
I'm having doubts, as everything seems to be working fine, and updates only seem to arrive to fix problems.
To be clear, I'm happy with the way it is, and not sure what else could be added.
Just curious
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Aquilauno

Re: Is Yamaha Finished With SX- Updates?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 07:46:39 AM »
Hi Larry,
I think there would be a little something to correct. I am referring in particular to the search function and to the fact that every time you modify / save / delete a file you are brought back to page 1 and you do not stay on the page where the file was, I find it annoying. This also happens when uploading a file fails and go back to where you were before (for example ... on page 10 of another directory)More serious, on the other hand, is the fact that if you open a folder with many files, the SX900 goes to reading and there is no way to interrupt the operation, for several minutes the SX900 is "blocked" you can only play the last selected voice, until, at the end of the working progress phase, the SX900 returns to operation or indicates an error message (for i
too many files present). Furthermore, I did not understand why the file search phase is not limited to the directory (folder) in which you are located, as it would be logical to expect (and as it happens in the PC with the "Windows" OS). Instead, the results it seems to me, it is to the entire USB key ... regardless of the folder where you were at the time of the search ...
it's correct?... also applies to you?... If you confirm my observation, this is an absurd thing that needs correction from Yamaha.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 01:27:48 PM »
I agree about the search function, this would improve it.

However, I would be more surprised if there were any more updates to SX / Genos. Certainly in the past, updates have stopped after an initial set of fixes were made. It's quite unusual for an update to actually add any real new features, which is why Genos 2.0 was an unusual (though very welcome) move. It's just not the way the arranger lines are generally supported by Yamaha.

Would be delighted to be proved wrong though  :)
Genos

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 03:12:08 PM »
Good day.

I think that Yamaha in the near future will do exactly what it did with the Genos on the SX-900 and SX700. A version 2.0, almost certainly with new styles, "recīn share" function, "unison and accent" function (the styles based on this), bug fixes, especially in the search function and other minor details.

I donīt think that Yamaha will abandon the updates to these products as if it did with the S series. Hopefully so and we will have that very special update in the near future. Really, I hope so ... the SX-900, the SX-700 and the SX-600 are great products.
* PSR SX900
* Novation Impulse 61
* IPad Air 2
* Macbook Pro 2012 // 16 Gb RAM // 500 Gb SSD
* Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
* JBL LSR 305 Monitors
* Alesis Multimix 6
* Mic Senheiser e835
* Mic AKG Perception Live P5s
* Yamaha Stagepas 400 BT

DonM

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 06:49:06 PM »
Well, although the Genos did get that big upgrade, it is certainly not in Yamaha's history to do so.  Yes, they will address errors, but rest assured any really significant upgrades will be for sale in the next arranger to be released. 
(I could be wrong; I've been married three times.)  :)

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 09:39:01 PM »
Well, although the Genos did get that big upgrade, it is certainly not in Yamaha's history to do so.  Yes, they will address errors, but rest assured any really significant upgrades will be for sale in the next arranger to be released. 
(I could be wrong; I've been married three times.)  :)

LOL Great Don

Offline Dnj

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 01:32:07 PM »
I have to agree with Don's post, about arrangers & wives 8).....They are in the business to make money $$$$ plain & simple. Leaving a few features out as they have always done leaves room for the next series of products to buy. eg:..Genos 2, SX905, SX705, SX605 or something completely new. Wait & see is the answer at this point with Covid upon us. Fingers crossed...
stay safe.

Jabran.jibbi

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 02:57:54 PM »
Lets get our fingers crossed i really believe that Yamaha will update Sx series with 2.0 versions... The strongest reason to have hope is their new os introduced in Genos and sx series caz this os has ability to be upgraded and it can be fully customizable and i think this was the actual reason to stop manufacturing tyros/psr-s series and replace it with genos so that yamaha can bring firmware updates which was not possible with old os (without touch screen panel).
And as per business point of you manufacturing new keyboard models is quite expensive and lengthy process whereas selling old models with new firmware updates is smart and more profitable approach in this smart era...
I also think we'll get more expansion memory in the update
Caz pre installed packs are saved somewhere in the keyboard even after deleting them and installing new packs.
And Yamaha must be considering the class of korg arranger's OS too (pa series os is really strong and powerful os) Yamaha should over take that os too
So lets not loose hope and wait this time Yamaha got something very special in its sleeves...
I think on the second aniversary of sx series we'll get a huge update

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 03:06:19 PM »
I have to agree with Don's post, about arrangers & wives 8).....They are in the business to make money $$$$ plain & simple. Leaving a few features out as they have always done leaves room for the next series of products to buy. eg:..Genos 2, SX905, SX705, SX605 or something completely new. Wait & see is the answer at this point with Covid upon us. Fingers crossed...
stay safe.

Yes, Yamaha are in business to make money. Which is why there will be a software update, with new features, for both the Genos and SX lines.

Retooling to produce a new product costs a lot of money. Software updates are a lot cheaper. If Yamaha can extend the marketing life of a product with a software update, it's a profitable move.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline rgw

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 03:28:04 PM »
I for one, would like to see an update for the SX900 to include "Smart Chord". This is already standard on  the lower rated SX600 model.

Richard.

Offline pika-san

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 02:58:35 PM »
I have one question though, will voice guide gets updated if new features come out?
yamaha extentions files styles for keyboards are as follows:
pst (pianist); pcs(piano combo); sst (session); prs (pro); bcs(basic); fps (free play) and scp (dj style).

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 12:18:38 AM »
I was on the phone for over an hour with a Yamaha keyboard representative the other day and I was talking to him about a few general point's

And my main reason for calling was because i have had an error accrue on my SX-900 more than twice and i spoke to him about having an update for the SX-900 and he told me as long as they don't have costumer's calling in issues and requesting an update or new features
yamaha doesn't really pay attention to individual calls.....
they only address general complaint's from more than one person

so what i recommend is that whoever can please call Yamaha at: 714-522-9011 and follow the directory to be transferred to the keyboard representatives     i know it may be a longer waiting time but there trying to work on that
or send them an email which will also be effective at: supportreply@yamaha.com

but it's only going to work if you guy calls them, only they will listen

Offline pika-san

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 02:58:25 PM »
Does that mean hundreds of persons have to contact them for a better voice guide?
yamaha extentions files styles for keyboards are as follows:
pst (pianist); pcs(piano combo); sst (session); prs (pro); bcs(basic); fps (free play) and scp (dj style).

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 01:41:12 PM »
128 drum key in YEM for SX 900-700?

Offline chax

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 12:36:50 AM »
Aquilauno has brought out some valid and relevant issues with the SX which require to be addressed by Yamaha. Besides 1 GB for expansion memory is little too small now. Hence, In addition, if possible, for SX,I would like an upgrade to 2 GB Expansion memory because the Genos EM of 1.8 GB was upgraded to 3 GB in V 2 So 2 GB for SX is not a big call.

Chax

Jabran.jibbi

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »
Aquilauno has brought out some valid and relevant issues with the SX which require to be addressed by Yamaha. Besides 1 GB for expansion memory is little too small now. Hence, In addition, if possible, for SX,I would like an upgrade to 2 GB Expansion memory because the Genos EM of 1.8 GB was upgraded to 3 GB in V 2 So 2 GB for SX is not a big call.

Chax

Agreed

Frie van Peer

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 05:37:37 PM »
It is a pity that Yamaha (after the updates stopped) does not make the source code public so that other programmers can work with it, Linux has also succeeded.

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 11:01:01 PM »
In general, User Interface on Yamaha (advanced) keyboards still have a lot to improve.
Japanese products usually pay lot of attention to details making things easy for users.
However, when it comes to products using "computer like" interface, serious weaknesses show up.
I have been in Japan many times (high tech business related) and noticed these things.
Will Yamaha listen to client feedbacks and make these improvements, we all hope so. BUT ..... this may not happen as "if it works, don't touch"
(OR it if sells well, don't touch !!!).
In reality, other brands like KORG, CASIO, etc... are not any better. Each has its own way to operate.

Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2021, 12:15:40 PM »

128 key drum for SX for light year faster convert custom rhythms from other keyboards

Vocal harmony balance in freeze function.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 08:48:59 AM by Johnypvable »

Offline hans1966

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 06:30:31 PM »
Hi Guys, the SX900 is about to complete a year since the last firmware update, and Yamaha has not commented on it.

It would be very nice to see new features like Unison & Accent, RencShare, and improvements to the CreatorSong, as well as new sounds and styles.

These are just my thoughts.

regards

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 01:02:45 PM »
I do not think we will see any updates like the one we had for Genos. Updates for the SX900 are just to put little glitches right as in all other Yamaha keyboards,

vadesriux

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2021, 07:16:16 AM »
I agree. The flagship will always be the flagship. Something must always differentiate the flagship from the models below it. That doesnt mean there will be no more updates to the 700/900 but minor ones. Not raise in available memory like it happened on Genos, etc.

After all Yamaha must always justify the huge price difference to the top of the range model. That is one of the reasons why you pay so much more and they know it.

That doesnt mean either the 700/900 are not great instruments, for they are.
I am waiting for the 900 to be available. Already have the budget.

Offline Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 10:50:00 AM »
I don't think so. It would be surprising if it is. SX600 has a software feature called Unison & Accent and it doesn't make sense for the more expensive flagship keyboards SX700/900 of the same SX series to not have that feature. I do expect a major software release that has Unison & Accent feature along with some new styles from the SX600 or perhaps even from the new DGX670.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:03:00 AM by Christopher Fernandes »
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

vadesriux

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 12:13:13 PM »
Hope you are right!

The following users thanked this post: rgw

Offline rgw

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 12:56:37 PM »
Hope you are right!
Also the Sx600 has Smart Chord which is not on the dearer models. For me that would be a useful update.

vadesriux

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 11:41:51 AM »
A great feature would be to be able to record raises in volume / changes in Pan, inside each track. All this inside the SX sequencer, without having to reach for some DAW.

To me DAWs are great tools, super precise and all, but you loose creativity, much like Vangelis always said during his life. Its nuts to compose / tweak note by note inside a midi piano roll interface (Logic, Cubase). I know the SX "is" a computer but much simpler to use. The simple fact you have to constantly look at the SX screen + your computer screen, time andtime again is not natural at all to me. You spend much much more time putting "bits and pieces" together inside a DAW than using only the SX sequencer.

But this is my experience only which may differ from others here of course.

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 09:40:05 PM »
My friends

As i have said before

the only way to see an actual change and a new update....
is to actually send them an email or calling them up and stating what you would like

supportreply@yamaha.com or YCASupport@yamaha.com  https://usa.yamaha.com/support/contacts/form.html?page=product

Yamaha Customer Support
(714) 522-9011
Option 3

and they will only listen and actually make an update if enough people email or call in about it

i have been on the phone with a Yamaha keyboard representative for over an hour telling him about all these issues and he explained to me they only listen when there are enough complaints if there are only a couple of people complaining they won't pay attention to it

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 10:31:17 PM »
Hi  :

IMHO there will never come " a comparable Genos 2.0 update " for our SX900. I agree with Eileen's statement.

Regards, JH
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:07:28 AM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2021, 01:18:15 AM »
This is the email i got today

"We have not forgotten about it and Yamaha Japan is currently working on revising a few issues. The next firmware update should be available sometime in the next couple of months. Please keep checking back on the general Yamaha website. These things take time and they should be able to resolve the issue with "unexpected error. Turn the power on and off again"

So i will list a couple of things they should add to the update
everyone please email them and ask them as well

that's the only way to get what we want        please request for more expansion memory space like the genos 2.0

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361