Author Topic: Black keys playability - SX700/900  (Read 3180 times)

vadesriux

Black keys playability - SX700/900
« on: May 17, 2021, 11:17:53 AM »
Hi everyone.

Waiting, as probably many are too, for Yamaha to re-ship these two PSR keyboards again, since last October fire at a microchip factory in Japan.

I traded 2 years ago - for financial reasons - my beloved GENOS for the MODX7 and... regreted it... I've owned many keyboards in my life and the Genos was the most fun, easy to play and record, creative keyboard I have ever owned. But since I needed to fix my finances, I had to sell it. I also love eletronic music (trance, etc), and found out at the time I would not need all those Waltz, Rock, Country, etc. styles from the Genos. But while that was true, I forgot the ease of recording, ease of selecting or layering sounds, ease of finding what you want only the Genos had... Dont get me wrong, the MODX is a terrific synth - for sound making -, but does not have the super-easy sequencer of the Genos (multitrack recording) nor the "ready-to-use" sounds the Genos has. The MODX has 1300 sounds but many are "special effects" sounds that are simply not usuable when you want to compose. You need clean and simple sounds if you want to compose, not super-intricated and full of "movement" sounds the MODX has. Also the MODX sequencer is... terrible in its complexity, to the point you simply quit to using it at all. So all in all a great synth if you mainly want to "make" and tweak with sounds. Finally the Genos FSX keybed is the best I have ever played. But that comes with a very steep price also...

Back to reality  :) and meanwhile I have a question for the fellows here in the forum. As many of you may have guessed by now I am selling my MODX7 to be able to afford a PSR SX700, but I just love the MODX keybed. Super easy and quiet to play, especially very easy/soft to play near the top of the black keys (usually a very stiff zone in the majority of all keyboards).

My question for SX700/900 owners is: are the black keys on these keyboards soft/easy to play when you play near the top of the key ?

Thank you and please to meet everyone here for the first time.
Eduardo (from Portugal)

vadesriux

Re: Black keys playability - SX700/900
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 11:39:22 AM »
No thoughts at all about this topic ?

vadesriux

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 11:44:21 AM »
By the way, no one here also mentions the fact the SX700/900 are not available anywhere for shipping worldwide due to a fire that occured last October at KMA's microchip factory in Japan. Yamaha's DAC's microchips were most likely being produced by this factory and since then there is no expectation date for delivery of these two PSR keyboards anywhere anytime soon...

A bummer if you were - like me - planning to buy one of these new PSR keyboards...

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 12:49:25 PM »
My question for SX700/900 owners is: are the black keys on these keyboards soft/easy to play when you play near the top of the key ?
The weight/resistance of the keys overall is often a personal preference among players so it can be hard to advise someone else what is good or bad. But regardless, keyboards are always going to be a little stiffer near the top of the key, just simple mechanics, you are nearer the pivot point. It's not really where you are expected to be playing them, so not an issue for most people.   

vadesriux

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 01:02:58 PM »
Hi Mik.

In fact if you are a piano player you will play several chords which require you to hit near the top of the keys - black or white. Hence my question. For instance I have had a Korg PA-600 and the black keys were terrible in this respect. Even worse with the famous Fatar TP/9s keybed ex: Waldorf Blofeld, it is nearly impossible to play this way - your fingers will get crushed :). On the contrary, with the Korg Kronos the keys were very nicely playable near the top, same with the Genos / Motif XS/F.

So in a way you are right (and thank you for replying), it comes down with your personal preference. But there is no doubt that some keybeds are much easier to play this way than others.

Any feedback on this by other SX700/900 users ?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 01:07:39 PM by vadesriux »

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 03:46:26 PM »
Eduardo
I don’t have a SX so can’t answer on this specific range of keyboard. Maybe someone who has one will comment. One of our members, (dalekwars) is a world class concert pianist and frequently posts videos playing the SX and has no complaints about the SX keyboard, within the context of what it is. It’s not a Bosendorfer or a Fazioli of course. Take a look at his videos.
I am a pianist and have played hundreds of different keyboards, and while the first thing I notice is the overall feel of the keyboard, a significant difference in playability at the top end of the black notes is not something that has ever occurred to me. Nor have I ever heard it raised by anyone else till now.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »
Hi Eduardo,

on the SX900/700 product pages you can find some information about the new "FSB" keyboard:

...  The refined keyboard structure, with an adjusted fulcrum, allows you to play comfortably even on the backs of the keys ...

See also the attached picture.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 04:17:19 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

vadesriux

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 04:53:56 PM »
Thank you both Chris and Mark for your insight. I have received an email from Eileen (much loved here in the Forum), who owns a PSR SX900 and she said she didnt find the keys stiff at all.

So all in all I think I can buy (when available) with confidance.

Offline reya

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 08:04:34 AM »
Hi Eduardo,

I have both PSR SX 900 and Genos (used to have PSR S770 and Tyros 5)

In my experience, the top of the key playability of the black keys on the SX900 is not quite as good as the ones on Genos.
It is however way better than the ones on the PSR S770

Best regards

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

vadesriux

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 03:48:58 PM »
Thank you very much Rudy.