Author Topic: Active monitor speakers with Genos?  (Read 5827 times)

Offline Dave Nuttall

Active monitor speakers with Genos?
« on: April 13, 2021, 11:12:01 PM »
When I got my Genos in 2019 I connected a pair of Samson (Rubicon R5a) "active monitor" speakers that had served me well prior to the Genos on the PSR-S910.

One of the speaker has developed a "short" and probably can't be fixed.   

Working with one speaker on a Genos is insane!   I want my mental health returned.

Anybody having good experience with OTHER than the GNS-MS01?

My "studio" is very small -  11 X 13 feet.

TIA.
Dave
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Offline mikf

Re: Active monitor speakers with Genos?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 12:10:01 AM »
I have a pair of Maudio BX5 and never had any issue with them. Good sound, clean look, seem well built, surprisingly good bass. Tons of volume for your small area. But there really are a myriad of good products in this price/size range, and what you like gets to be such a personal choice.
Mike

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 12:49:05 AM »
I have a pair of Maudio BX5 and never had any issue with them. Good sound, clean look, seem well built, surprisingly good bass. Tons of volume for your small area. But there really are a myriad of good products in this price/size range, and what you like gets to be such a personal choice.

That's a good idea, Mike.  Thanks.
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 01:02:15 AM »
I have a pair of JBL 305P's that have served me well for several years and excellent sound. Good reviews on Sweetwater.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305MK2--jbl-305p-mkii-5-inch-powered-studio-monitor

The following users thanked this post: Dave Nuttall

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 04:21:16 AM »
What's your budget???
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 01:44:50 PM »
What's your budget???

Will try to stay under $400 and I'm thinking more about the GNS-MS01.

Thanks to all who read/responded.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 08:27:33 PM »
I know you specifically requested *not* the GNSMS01, but it's an *excellent* 2.1 system. I have it setup in the store side by side with the TRSMS05 on the same keyboard, and at one point the I had the Korg PAAS on a PA4x.

The GNSMS01 is miles ahead in clarity (it's even ahead of most small PA's and studio monitors). If you haven't A/B'd them, you really should, although a pair of MR5's (Mackie now on the 4th gen MR524) was the closest I could get under $400. And still not as clear as the <$300 GNSMS01.

A pair of Yamaha HS8's is even closer, but while as clear as the GNS, not as thick on the low end. And costs over $900. And yes, I'd agree, the JBL's would be close enough! (but almost $500 cdn). Same thickness and similar low end, but very close to the GNS's clarity.

If you're basing this on how 'blurry' the previous Tyros speakers are, go to a local dealer who has both and A/B yourself. The Tyros speakers are *significantly* inferior.

Every Korg PA4x/3x customer who's been in asked if it was possible to purchase a GNSMS01 for their Korg. Alas, unless you know how to re-wire the custom 8 pin  connector, it only works on Genos. :/

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 12:32:46 AM »
For my Genos, I use a pair of Yamaha Hs-8 powered monitors, with K&M stands.

It's a perfect setup. You don't need subwoofer. Sound is crispy and powerfull.

Directly connected, without mixer.

Very high quality/price ratio.

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 03:41:04 PM »
Hi
For your budget ,i would go with Angelo

I use DXr 8's for pleasure listen and Focal Alpha 50's for mixing.
The Dxr's are £900 the pair and maybe a little expensive for  you
I think they are worth it as i have said before. Change over three keyboards and the expensive speakers have paid for themselves and can also be used for small disco parties or live. They are Quality in Monitor mode and powerful in Front of house mode (for live  work) :)
Anything is better than the Yamaha tin pot speakers that go with the Genos. Thy are like a transistor radio and boom box with battery wires. Cheap and nasty and over priced.

atb
John :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 03:42:51 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline John T4

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 07:57:03 AM »
I use a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors now instead of the genos speakers, very good clear sound.