Author Topic: Another fault found on my 9 month old PSR-SX900  (Read 3076 times)

abps1976

Another fault found on my 9 month old PSR-SX900
« on: May 17, 2021, 08:54:52 AM »
Hi all,

Just a quick update on the initial glitch with my (then) brand new PSR-SX900.

The first problem which I can replicate repeatedly is:

1. Keyboard initially turned on - piano voice for full register of the keyboard.
2. Engage the ACMP, OTS LINK and AUTO FILL IN buttons.
3. Now select JAZZ/BIGBAND SHUFFLE, and the saxophone voice on OTS1 is noticeably quieter than the other three voices.
4. Selecting a different style at this point BEFORE switching back to BIGBAND SHUFFLE cures the problem.

My second problem occurred this morning (17th May 2021).

One of the attractions of the PSR-SX900 over my older PSR-S900 was the three voices you can assign to the right hand part of the keyboard 👍.

On initially switching on the keyboard with the default piano voice I did the following:

1. Turn keyboard on - default piano voice on the whole instrument
2. Engage the ACCMP, OTS LINK and AUTO FILL IN.
3. Select R&B/60’s VINTAGE RHUMBA, OTS 3.  This should light up all three RH voice parts - and initially it would play all three of those voices for the RH part, but this morning with all three parts selected all I can hear through the speakers or headphones is a solitary glockenspiel voice.

It’s fair to assume that my keyboard is faulty.   Can anyone else with this instrument replicate my keyboards odd behaviour?

I upgraded to firmware V1.05 as soon as I unboxed my keyboard but my initial fault was replicated over the phone to Yamaha technical support whose own PSR-SX900 was still using firmware V1.04

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Adam Simmons

Offline Toril S

Re: Another fault found on my 9 month old PSR-SX900
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 09:18:11 AM »
Have you tried moving the split point, as this can effect the third voice?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

abps1976

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 09:29:55 AM »
Hi

I have reset the fingering to the default setting.   When replicating the second (new problem found this morning), all three of the RH voice parts are lit up for the UPPER selection. If the RH3 is disengaged then the RH1 and RH2 voices can be heard - as soon as RH3 is selected with the other two, the first two voices (Seattle Strings and Cocktail piano respectively) are completely muted.

Thanks,

Adam Simmons

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 09:45:09 AM »
I have reset the fingering to the default setting.   When replicating the second (new problem found this morning), all three of the RH voice parts are lit up for the UPPER selection. If the RH3 is disengaged then the RH1 and RH2 voices can be heard - as soon as RH3 is selected with the other two, the first two voices (Seattle Strings and Cocktail piano respectively) are completely muted.

As Toril said, check the split point, not the fingering. It's possible to set a split point where R3 (only) plays above it, and R1+R2 (only) play below it. Normally, this is set as the same as the left split point which in effect disables it. But if you had this split point set quite low down, you'd find the behaviour you're describing here.
Genos

abps1976

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 10:21:50 AM »
Hi

Just been configuring the split points and have now set them as follows:

Style: G2
Left: G2
Right3: Ab2

All three voices are working however the problem with the BIGBAND SHUFFLE still persists

Thank you,

Adam Simmons

Offline ton37

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 02:20:57 PM »
Hi Adam, I'v duplicated your settings. Thanks for bringing this up to this board.

Setting 1: you're right. The Sax is hardly to hear, very quiet volume. By pressing once on the OTS (OTS1) it changes to normal sound volume. You're right, a little mistake.
Please send your findings to Yamaha for future update?

Setting 2: (Vintage Rumba). All settings sound normal.

My best regards,
Ton

abps1976

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 02:26:50 PM »
Thank you for your reply.

Thanks to the advice to change the split point, this solved the problem regards the missing third voice in the right hand.

Further, my instrument is able to replicate the quiet saxophone voice multiple times.  I have updated the latest firmware.   I did contact Yamaha who had the same issue with their PSR-SX900.  My query is whether a further firmware update will fix it, or do I have a faulty main board?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Adam Simmons

vadesriux

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 02:33:12 PM »
You dont have a faulty keyboard. Only a minor software bug.