Author Topic: How to record a track directly from midi file  (Read 5644 times)

user_fra

How to record a track directly from midi file
« on: May 16, 2021, 08:36:47 AM »
Hi,
I'm learning to use the PSR e463 to compose some songs, also helping me with Cubase.
I did a search in the forum but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for, so here I am wondering if anyone can kindly help me.
I have a midi track in Cubase, is it possible to make the midi file become a recorded track in PSR e463?
Unfortunatly when I playback in Cubase the midi file, I don't know how to record it in a Yamaha track. I mean, I'm able to record manually playing Yamaha keyboard, but not from Cubase playback track. Playng Cubase midi track I listen it in Yamaha speakers, but it doesn't record it in the PSR track.

Can somebody kindly help me, explaining step by step how to do it?
Thank you
Francesco

Offline vanzee

Re: How to record a track directly from midi file
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 08:57:43 AM »
Hi Francesco,

I don't understand PSR .... kbds,
but wouldn't it work to save the miditrack in Cubase
in midi format "0" and load / import this midi file into the kbd?
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

user_fra

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 09:24:28 AM »
Thank you,
I can save in a USB pendrive Cubase track as midi file (.mid). I can play it as a song in PSR e463, but I don't know how to save it as recorded track in PSR e463.
If you can explain the way (steps) you are thinking about, I will be very grateful to you.
Thank you
Francesco

Offline vanzee

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 02:00:51 PM »
Francesco,
as I already mentioned I am not aware of PSR keyboards,
I have a Genos.
My previous answer is a general suggestion.

I looked up the manual,
on page 38 it says:
"This instrument records your performance and saves it in an original format.
If you want to save it as MIDI data, convert it to SMF by
saving it to the connected USB flash drive (page 73)".

Page 73:
"A User Song can be converted to SMF (Standard
MIDI File) format 0 and saved to a USB flash drive."

I understand from this that the midi recording has to be saved on a USB Flash Drive
and that the conversion to ".mid" during this storage is performed.
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 03:58:17 PM »
I don't think too many forum users have an e463, but this is very much an entry level keyboard, so I would be surprised if it has this capability. I think you would have to figure out how to do this on external software.
Mike

user_fra

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 04:06:02 PM »
I looked up the manual,
on page 38 it says:
"This instrument records your performance and saves it in an original format.
If you want to save it as MIDI data, convert it to SMF by
saving it to the connected USB flash drive (page 73)".

Many thanks,
unfortunately I am trying to do the reverse process, I mean to import a .mid file into PSR Keyword. The .mid file is not a style, but a simple phrase (piano) created using Cubase.
I was not able to find this process in the manual.
Regards
Francesco

user_fra

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 04:11:31 PM »
Thanks for your help
I don't think too many forum users have an e463, but this is very much an entry level keyboard, so I would be surprised if it has this capability. I think you would have to figure out how to do this on external software.
Mike

PSR E463 can import styles from the usb stick. Styles must be .mid files. If I load the track I recorded using Cubase into the USB stick, PSR E463 can play it as a song. So I thought that it is also possible to make it a recorded track. Maybe it's not possible, it would be very useful to know it.

In any case, sorry if I am in the wrong forum.
Best regards
Francesco

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 04:24:51 PM »
I am not saying that you are in the wrong forum, but that the first hand knowledge of the particular keyboard you have is probably not wide here. Some functionality will be similar to other keyboards, and then people can help. But in this case they would probably have to rely on the manual or make a guess and Manuals never list what cannot be done. My guess was that this keyboard, based on price and a quick look at the specs, has some limited functionality and this might not be in its capabilities, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Maybe someone else does.
Mike
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 04:28:44 PM by mikf »

user_fra

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 06:34:13 PM »
I am not saying that you are in the wrong forum...
Maybe it is not the correct forum, also because the forum is "Yamaha PSR Educational Suite boards: PSR-E443, PSR-E353, PSR-E253" and PSR E463 is not mentioned.
If you can suggest a more suitable forum for PSR E463 I will be happy to ask my questions there.
Regards
Francesco

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 07:37:19 PM »
Thefact that it is not specifically listed doesn’t mean it is excluded, just not very common. There have been questions on the E463 before, and several members have E series keyboards, so there is still a chance someone might be able to answer your questions. 
I don’t know of anywhere else, other than trying Yamaha customer support.
 Mike

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 08:56:06 PM »
What exactly are you trying to do? Is it just
 play along with the track you recorded in cubase, or record more tracks along with it on the keyboard?
Genos

The following users thanked this post: overover

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 10:13:15 PM »
Francesco
I just had a thought, - you dont need to re-record a midi to get it on your keyboard. Can you not just save the external midi file as a new file on your keyboard? Then if you have midi editing capabilities on this keyboard you can do whatever you like with it. If you don’t have the capability on this keyboard to save external midi files you may be stumped.
Mike

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:09:31 AM by mikf »

Offline panos

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 12:26:26 AM »
I think our friend is asking if his keyboard has a Song Creator
(to insert a midi song and then record more midi tracks on the keyboard)
but unfortunately, I don't think that the PSR E 463 has this capability as Mike said.

It can play a midi file.
It can record a midi file.
But it seems that it cannot do both at the same time.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 03:06:59 AM »
Okay, the PSR-E463 has a 6 track recorder/sequencer, as does my PSR-E433.  I think what user_fra wants to do is take a single track from an existing external MIDI file, and then transfer that track to one of the 6 sequencer tracks on his E463, and unfortunately, I do not believe that is possible.  I'll admit that I have very limited experience with MIDI, but based on what I've read about these keyboards, that does not seem to be a feature that they have.  In fact, it is not even possible to specifically save or load a recording on the entire 6-track sequencer to a flash drive or computer -- you can only save a user file, which is essentially a complete data dump -- all of the main settings, registrations, loaded styles, and sequencer recordings.  It's basically a back-up function, and then, you can re-load the user file into the keyboard at any time, and get the sequencer recordings in that user file back on the keyboard -- but it will also overwrite any current registrations and styles that were on the keyboard with whatever was saved on the user file when it was created.  But again, no way that I know of to just get an external MIDI track and load it directly to just one of the E463's onboard sequencer tracks.

Let me clarify what I wrote above.  You CAN save a sequencer recording specifically as a MIDI file, but as far as I know, there is no way to get that MIDI file, or just specific tracks of it, back into the sequencer.  I believe MIDI files can be loaded into the keyboard as songs and played back on the keyboard, but when this is done, it is separate from the 6-track sequencer -- these files are loaded into the keyboard's memory, but not into the 6-track sequencer.

In reality, even if it was possible, there would be limited use for such a function, because, like my E433, the E463 has essentially no editing features for the sequencer.  Once the tracks are recorded, that is it.  You can turn on and off individual tracks when playing the song back, and you can delete tracks and re-record them from the beginning.  But there is no way to change the sound, notes, style, effects, or even just the volume of the individual tracks once they are recorded on the keyboard.

This doesn't make the 6-track sequencer, useless, however.  I've used it plenty of times to record most of a song (with the only hassle being that if I make a mistake, I have to start recording the entire track from the beginning), and then I take that recording and send it to a computer, running Audacity software (but there are plenty of other audio programs) as an audio file -- using an analog audio-to-digital USB converter connected from the keyboard's headphone jack to the computer's USB port (the E463 may not even need this converter, as I think it can output audio through USB directly).  Once that recording is in Audacity on the computer, I can then record additional tracks for the song directly to Audacity to add more depth to the recording of the song.  In reality, you could just skip the sequencer altogether, and just record what you want directly to the computer, but I find it easier to at least get the "meat and potatoes" of a song recorded right on the keyboard, and then start transferring everything to a computer.

As for the way that this part of the forum is labeled -- yeah, I've noticed that.  They haven't updated it in years -- as the PSR-E443 is a seven year old model.  They should label it something like "PSR-E200-E400 series" or "PSR-E2xx-E4xx series" or something like that, so that it is clear that this part of the forum is for all PSR-E series keyboards.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 03:22:53 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 04:50:49 AM »
As for the way that this part of the forum is labeled -- yeah, I've noticed that.  They haven't updated it in years -- as the PSR-E443 is a seven year old model.  They should label it something like "PSR-E200-E400 series" or "PSR-E2xx-E4xx series" or something like that, so that it is clear that this part of the forum is for all PSR-E series keyboards.
Actually the section title is generic, PSR E Series. The sub list of models is not intended to be exhaustive, and it obviously isn't causing any confusion that every model is not listed because this topic was posted in the right place, and got many answers.
With the less popular keyboards it sometimes can be difficult to get a quick and definitive answer, since less people have one, but in this case they got what turned out to be the correct answer - this keyboard probably doesn't have this capability - almost straight away.
To me this forum is amazing for providing good, and very quick information on these keyboards all round the world. Even on some quite esoteric topics.
Mike

user_fra

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
Thank you very much, in a few lines you have summarized the exact meaning of my request:
I think our friend is asking if his keyboard has a Song Creator
(to insert a midi song and then record more midi tracks on the keyboard)
but unfortunately, I don't think that the PSR E 463 has this capability as Mike said.

It can play a midi file.
It can record a midi file.
But it seems that it cannot do both at the same time.

Probably what I would like to do with the E463 is not possible, but I would like to be sure of that. It seems to me that we are in the field of hypotheses, so I think I will write to Yamaha support and it will be my care to report their answer here in the forum, for the benefit of other users who use the PSR E463.

Best wishes to all and thanks to all for your opinions, in any case I found an excellent forum.
Francesco

Offline vanzee

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 09:12:56 AM »
To copie a track from one midi file into another
midifile I use MixMaster.
2 midi files can be loaded and stored in MM
tracks copied mutually, although only in
same channels.
(e.g. CH1 of midifile 1 in CH1 of midifile 2, .....)
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

user_fra

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2021, 10:56:22 AM »
Hi,
I wrote to Yamaha support and they replied this:
"You can't do it, you can create a midi song and load it on the keyboard via the pen drive."

I hope it will be useful for other users.
My best regards
Francesco