Author Topic: Wanted reg sound similar to Victor Silvester  (Read 2596 times)

Offline adrianed

Wanted reg sound similar to Victor Silvester
« on: May 11, 2021, 10:55:05 PM »
Hi folks does anyone have any suggestion which instruments to use to make the sound of Victor Silvester orchestra
Adrian

Offline mikf

Re: Wanted reg sound similar to Victor Silvester
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 11:55:44 PM »
The most unusual thing was that Victor Sylvester typically had two pianos in his line up. Of course a rhythm section, mostly 4 sax (2 alto 2 tenor) and a violin. But he could enhance this sometimes with a full string section. I like most in the uk have seen the VS orchestra many, many times on tv, and could be wrong but don’t remember seeing trombones and trumpets. Which might account for his more silky, (some might say more sickly sweet) sound than the typically more robust brassy band sound  - like Joe Loss.
But the sound is not just the instruments but the arrangers style, and how they were used. Maybe somebody has that available in some styles.
David Read (dalekwars) is quite heavily into making music for serious ballroom dancers and uses an SX. You should listen to David’s utube site and if there is anything that sounds attractive to you he can probably point you to some styles he used.

Offline adrianed

Re: Wanted reg sound similar to Victor Silvester
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 08:35:45 AM »
Hi Mike,
Thanks for that rundown how Victor Silvester arranged his orchestra, I think I might need a few more instruments on the T5 than I have
I am surprised that anyone knew anything about him now so many years later
Thanks again
Adrian