Author Topic: Genos styles on SX-700/900  (Read 4285 times)

Offline pedro_pedroc

Genos styles on SX-700/900
« on: May 11, 2021, 10:01:08 PM »
Hello, everyone.

If I have a style created on Genos, can it be played in SX-700/900 without conversions?

Because, Genos may have more sounds that "lower" keyboards haven't... Will SX series replace the voice automatically with another compatible voice?

Thank you!

Pedro

Offline mikf

Re: Genos styles on SX-700/900
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 10:15:39 PM »
Yes

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 12:49:16 PM »
Ok.

But in the SX the genos style need some adjustments ?

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 01:32:48 PM »
They are compatible keyboards, but there are of course some differences in sound systems and voices. For most people and most styles probably not significant. Whether you want to make some adjustments to the overall sound of the style on a different board will be a personal choice rather than a requirement.
The word “conversion” in my book has a somewhat different meaning, inferring it will not work properly or at all unless converted. Not the case here.
Mike

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 06:34:34 PM »
Thank you so much, Mike!

Pedro

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 07:53:49 PM »
Sorry Mike and Pedro, I need about a clarification, I have sx900 and when I load some styles (of other keyboards, I presume T4, T5; Genos), sometimes some voices of the OTS remain empty, in some cases Is that voice that is selected for play with the right hand  and therefore no sound, for this I have to change manually ... In these cases the SX900 don't finds me replacement entries automatically ... where am I wrong?
Thanks you.
Pietro

Offline johan

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 08:17:16 PM »
You are right, Aquilauno: the replacement of voices is only done for the instruments that play the style parts and in general this works quite well on the SX700/900 but it is not done for the OTS voices. Note however, if the OTS leds do not light up, it simply means that no OTS has been programmed in the style. If the lights turn on but no voice is heard, you can use the OTS viewer of Jorgen Sorensen to view the Genos voices that are foreseen in the OTS (select keyboard model = Genos) and then try to find matching voices on the keyboard or via the OTS Editor program (also made by Jorgen). The OTS editor also allows you to copy OTS voices from one style to another (OTS Mixer). Finally, you can of course also simply ignore the OTS and select the voices at your own taste.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 08:40:46 PM »
I’m not a fan of OTS. I can understand why someone might use it on a song specific or customized style, as a neat way to save a set up rather than a registration, - but on a generic style, never made sense to me.
 And I generally keep it turned off because if you don’t, and you change style variations, your lead voice changes without warning to something you didn’t want or expect.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 03:51:19 PM »
You are right, Aquilauno: the replacement of voices is only done for the instruments that play the style parts and in general this works quite well on the SX700/900 but it is not done for the OTS voices. Note however, if the OTS leds do not light up, it simply means that no OTS has been programmed in the style. If the lights turn on but no voice is heard, you can use the OTS viewer of Jorgen Sorensen to view the Genos voices that are foreseen in the OTS (select keyboard model = Genos) and then try to find matching voices on the keyboard or via the OTS Editor program (also made by Jorgen). The OTS editor also allows you to copy OTS voices from one style to another (OTS Mixer). Finally, you can of course also simply ignore the OTS and select the voices at your own taste.

Hello, Johan.

I understand the OTS will be lost. ok.

However, I need more information: if I get a Genos style and copy to PSR-SX900/700/600, will the destination keyboard automatically replace the missing voices for others (available in the keyboard), and the style will sound ok? If yes, does it happen because PSR-SX900/700/600 are newer than Genos, however if I do the same operation in Tyros5, Tyros5 will also replace newer voices?

Thanks
Pedro

Offline johan

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 06:15:08 PM »
Indeed, the destination keyboard “tries” to replace the missing voices but I do not know how this is done nor if this works equally well on previous generation keyboards. My guess is that yamaha takes a voice with the same Program number as the original voice and for instance sets MSB=0 and LSB=112. This is a simple trick to find a voice that is similar to the original one. This trick does not work for megavoices so the replacement algorithm used by yamaha is a bit more sophisticated since also the megavoices are replaced nicely by megavoices available on the keyboard.

Note that the SX700 does not have revo drums (the SX900 has some “revo compatible” drumkits), so if the style uses revo drums, you might need to clean or remap the drums to play the style on the SX700, for instance with the nice tool of Jorgen Sorensen (see link below):
 http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/rdclean/index.htm
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463