Author Topic: Looking for High power speaker system to sound like GNS-MS01  (Read 5168 times)

Offline sunny

Friends,
    I am very impressed with my new GNS MS01 Speakers System for Genos. This speaker system sound  is well balanced very impressive Bass,Mid and Highs when played with Genos but limited for home use only. I tried other monitors like Qsc and others but I am not getting same accurate sound  like GNS MS01 Speakers, the sound is too bassy and loss of mids and highs.

I wan't to purchase High power 2.1 speaker system for my outdoor stage performance, the sound should be s like same GNS MS01 . So is there any High power speaker systems available for my requirement ?

Thanks,
Sunny

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 04:41:52 AM by sunny »

The following users thanked this post: jwyvern

Re: Looking for High power system same like GNS-MS01 Sound
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:04:21 PM »
There are as many speaker choices as there are stars in the night sky :). Your choice really depends on the types of venues you play. Will there be vocals too?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:20:51 PM »
Many people have said here that a pair or Bose compact arrays is the best sound for mid size venues, and a pair of full size for large venues. I have never used them, but I have heard people using them and they are very good.
Mike

Offline soryt

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 11:16:14 PM »
HK dave 8 roadie , small, affordable and a very good sound

S :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline sunny

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 04:36:03 AM »
There are as many speaker choices as there are stars in the night sky :). Your choice really depends on the types of venues you play. Will there be vocals too?

I wan't to have vocals also for about 200 people, I wan't same sound quality of GNS MS01 ,as i am very happy with GNS MS01 speaker system but the problem is that it cannot be used for outdoor performance. I tried connecting two QSC CP8 speakers to the Line outs of Genos but the sound is not so impressive like GNS MS01 speaker system.

So please suggest few best 2.1 high power speaker system to sound same as that of GNS MS01 speaker system.

Thanks,
Sunny
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 04:43:12 AM by sunny »

Offline soryt

Re: Looking for High power speaker system to sound like GNS-MS01
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 12:20:06 PM »
whats your budget  ? , there is so much choice , but it depends on youre budget .
I am surprised that you are so happy with the GNS system , they are very average and with a lot other systems the Genos sounds a lot better , ( also a matter of taste ) :-)

:D
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline sunny

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 01:13:45 PM »
 Price is not important, I need same sound quality as that of GNS System.

Sunny

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 01:45:16 PM »
Sunny, the GNS MS01 speakers go down to 40 Hz. That frequency is the same as the open E string an a bass guitar. Hence, why you're hearing nice warm bass from the GNS MS01 speakers. If you want the same from performance speakers, you have two options:

1) Buy full range speakers. You need 12 inch or 15 inch bass drivers for an audience that size. Most performance speakers cut off at 55 Hz or even higher. The bass is there but not very deep.

2) Buy a full range speaker that goes as low as 55 Hz to 65 Hz, and budget for a subwoofer. I use two Bose L1 Compacts and a home made 15 inch subwoofer with a 600 watt capability, driven by a Yamaha PX3 power amp. The largest audience I've played for with that system was about 250.

You'll need to buy two speakers so that your output is in stereo. The Genos sounds alright in mono but you miss most of the nuances and detail. Remember that after you make your speaker choice, you need to EQ your Genos so that you get the most out of the chosen speakers. Fortunately, Yamaha provides some pretty good presets in the Master section of the Mixer.

When you move up to larger public venues, you're in an entirely different ball game than simply playing in your living room under perfect and controlled conditions. In fact, you're wise to accept the fact that you'll never match the sound of your GNS MS01 speakers. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

You can buy the best of the best speakers but when you're playing live, most of the time you have no control over where you can set up and your speaker placement. Think about it. When you play at home, the speakers, which are specifically designed for the Genos, are aimed right at you. You are the audience as well as, the player. When playing live, you are just the player and what you hear is about 50% of the quality you get at home, if you're lucky. Then there’s room echo and the general noise of the room.

You’re jumping into the deep end of the pool my friend, but I admire your wishes to move into that realm. It will make you a better player. Just don’t expect miracles when it comes to your sound. Stay well.

- Lee
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:55:24 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 02:02:27 PM »
Lee has given you a very good answer. The idea that you can reproduce the sound you get at home outside in a large crowd just by scaling up power monitors is not realistic.
Getting a good sound at home is relatively easy nowadays, there is always personal choice and taste, but there are lots of good modestly priced systems. But the sound physics of big varying venues, large crowds, open spaces, is something else entirely. Even when you get a good sound working for the crowd, that then may not be what you hear - and vice versa. 
Mike
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:12:38 PM by mikf »

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 04:02:54 PM »
Good one, Eileen! Those go down to 37 Hz. They would sound great. Thanks for mentioning them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 05:45:36 PM »
 There are several look alike systems about now. Never seen this one before from Yamaha but people were raving about the one from Germany (name escapes me) which was cheaper than Bose but just as good.
Mike

Offline tyrosguy85

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 06:02:12 PM »
Hi Sunny.
I would very much recommend the BOSE L1s with B1 bass bin.
It's lightweight,Easy to set up,And the sound is "awesome"!!!
Just use the mono jack output from your keyboard and your ready.Will never go back to big speakers again
Good luck.
Regards
John.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 09:08:04 PM »
Good choice, John. I don't think running in mono is an option for Sunny. The sound is nowhere as good.

The following users thanked this post: tyrosguy85

Mike2

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 09:21:23 PM »
I have had the Bose L1 model 11, and the compact as well.  Very nice but pricey.  I also had the Lucas Nano 300 and the 600 series.  As you can see I have tried many.  Once again it's all in what you like.  I tried very hard to concentrate on the bass with all of these.  Now I am using the Bose S1 speakers and am very satisfied.  I use these in a church venue with about 200 people.  The problem I had with these is this deep bass that we all seem to want.  I cut the bass down on these, and I have had plenty of compliments.  Sometimes the bass becomes you enemy. The sound is clear, and the stereo is great.  Plus these have powered batteries, which is a great plus, when playing and not having to worry about power cables. 

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 09:29:57 PM »
I don’t know how available a Bose L1 is in India, but probably not very, and likely well over $3000 equivalent.
I also can’t help but wonder how musicians can be playing to crowds over 200 i the current situation in India.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 09:37:45 PM »
I don’t know how available a Bose L1 is in India, but probably not very, and likely well over $3000 equivalent.
I also can’t help but wonder how musicians can be playing to crowds over 200 i the current situation in India.
I too wondered where Sunny was going to find work. Perhaps he's just thinking ahead. Even in Canada, we're still 6 months away at least, from any indoor venues; if not into 2022. We may be able to some outdoor work a little sooner.

Offline pjd

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 12:32:08 AM »
Hello Sunny --

Based on your first message, it sounds (no pun intended) like you want a good balance over the full frequency range (low, mid and high). Your experiment with QSC CP8 monitors did work out. Too much bass and not enough mid and high. Also, outdoor performance.

Hmmm, it doesn't sound like bass is lacking through the CP8s -- mids and highs are missing. That suggests an EQ issue. Plus, outdoor performance is tricky. Are you playing from a stage or out in the open air (no back surface/wall)?

The CP8 has DSP EQ presets called "Contour": Full-range (default), Full-range w/external subwoofer, Dance, Dance w/external sub, floor monitor and speech. Might a different preset give you the result that you want? You may need to find an EQ setting on Genos itself which boosts the mid and high (given a particular CP8 contour).

I've played in halls with the QSC K8 (yeah, an older model  :) ) and never felt like the high and mid were lacking.

Hope this helps -- pj

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:33:26 AM by pjd »

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2021, 03:19:12 PM »
Perhaps something to consider if playing a large audience. If you should set up speakers to run in stereo, the people that are centered in front of the speakers will hear the both left and right of a stereo image correctly and balanced. The people that may be to the sides will hear the speaker they are nearer to more prominently and the sound may not carry the stereo image as well. How the stereo is heard also depends on the speakers dispersion (https://www.soundandvision.com/content/dispersion-show-and-tell) and its placement. While stereo may seem like a good idea, a mono setup (one or two speakers) may be a better choice so all listeners in a large group can hear all instruments/content regardless of how they are panned in a stereo image or where the listeners are located relative to the speakers.

pj pretty much summed up my thoughts about outdoor venues and I believe it would be a real challenge to get any speaker to sound like the GNS-MS01's do when they are in a room. I've had a few PA speakers and the best thus far has been my current QSC CP8. The Yamaha DBR series are well rated also and if I hadn't gone with QSC I may have tried one of those.

Offline mikf

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2021, 03:58:31 PM »
Mark - I agree generally with your comments about stereo normally being something of a myth for large venues. But while this was clearly true for conventional PA systems, the new style of systems like the Bose L1s and the many lookalikes now emerging might be changing this. The ability of these systems to send the sound across wide areas without blasting overwhelming volume at the nearest points, is quite amazing.
While I get that the presence of  stereo is to embed the listener in a separate left/right envelope, and that in theory this requires almost exact placement of speakers and listener, the audio signals from both left and right channels of these new systems reach all listeners almost equally. Maybe it’s why so many people love them for our keyboards.
Just an anecdote as to how good they are, - I lived on a golf course, but more than 1/2 mile from the clubhouse. There was also a street of houses in the middle. I was sitting on my patio one evening clearly hearing music, and thought that has to be from the clubhouse, they must be blasting the volume. A little later I drove over to the clubhouse for dinner, and sure enough there was a band outside on the patio. I stood just a few feet away and the volume was no more than ‘comfortable’.
Amazing.
Mike

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2021, 12:04:09 PM »
Mike,
I think the German speakers you are referring to are the LD Systems MAUI vertical array configuration which come in several different models.
I have the MAUI 28 G2 and the MAUI 5 GO which is battery and or mains powered. I also use 2 Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO Active 12" PA Subs to give a bit more bottom end if required.

https://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/maui-series/

Murray
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 12:09:16 PM by mcbrown »
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline mikf

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2021, 01:34:12 PM »
Mike,
I think the German speakers you are referring to are the LD Systems MAUI vertical array configuration........
Murray - yes that is the name I could not remember.
Mike

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2021, 02:45:33 PM »
Certainly agreed about large sound systems in big environments with high frequency horn arrays running in mono. Stereo is difficult to achieve and phasing can be a nightmare. With the smaller venues, like those most of us play in when there's no Covid storm happening, the smaller but suitably loud enough array speakers like the Bose, are most suitable for stereo.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2021, 06:30:19 PM »
I use one Bose L1 compact. More than sufficient for up to 200 people. I sometimes ad a Bose SL Pro for big rooms.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2021, 08:39:36 PM »
I think the German speakers you are referring to are the LD Systems MAUI vertical array configuration which come in several different models.

I tried MANY types of speakers for my Genos, money no object. I ended up buying a pair of the LD Systems Maui 5. I'm very happy, the best bang for the buck too!
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline valder

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2021, 10:31:47 PM »
I use at home 2 Yamaha HS8 reference monitors and a JBL ES250 sub woofer that I believe are quite reliable to the original sound of Genos
for larger environments I suggest active boxes JBL EON with 15 in auto speakers and also sub wooffer EON. Already comes with pedestals purchased as optional. They are used boxes worldwide