Author Topic: Advice wanted  (Read 2629 times)

ekurburski

Advice wanted
« on: May 14, 2021, 01:34:06 AM »
I own a psr3000 and BIAB2021.  I'm a former organ played during the 60's and 70's.   Back when we had a basic rhyme rail with 10 to 12 basic beats and we just played everything we did our self.  The 3000 has 240 styles and another 10,000 available for down load,  I have close to 10,000 styles available in my BIAB.  On  the 3000 I can arrange tunes and save to registrations which takes a great deal of time.  In BIAB I can create a complete customized backup track and play the kb part on top of it.  With so many styles available it can take hours to find a suitable style but I have the big lyrics when I finally finish building the track.

Without going into greater detail, which should I do?  Build a library of registrations or a library of backing tracks, or both?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 07:38:16 PM by ekurburski »

Offline Toril S

Re: Advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 09:07:58 PM »
Hello Earl!
Don't really know what works for you, and have never tried BIAB.
I don't read music, and I seldom play complicated songs, so I use registrations when I must (when there is too many button presses and too few fingers :) ). I edit the styles, mostly only by changing some volume and the OTS, and give the style the name of the song. When I play for people I put together a "gig list" by putting the styles in a folder, and that is that.
I never play with backing tracks or MIDIS, but use them to learn songs :) I have the PSR 2100, and it still works. I love that keyboard, my only complaint is the screen! And all the flolly disks. I have the Genos, Tyros 5 and PSR S-975, but STILL think that in some ways the 2100 sounds better :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:24:27 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

ekurburski

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 11:16:01 PM »
thank you for your comments Toril. I understand what you mean about the 2100. 
i love my 3000 with the exception of how complicated it is to just play it.  But I figure getting something newer isn't going to change the fact that you have to arrange a arranger on every tune.  I'm willing to bet that a newer kb would just be that much more complicated than the 3000.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 11:29:24 PM »
They have more functions, but basically the same logical Yamaha operating system. But as long as you are happy with your 3000, there is no reason to get another one. 😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

ekurburski

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 12:42:06 AM »
Well Toril, yes and no.  There are several features on the newer models' I would love to have despite the additional complexity.  More and better voices, audio looping, and the sf2 style format to name just a few.  I'm reall looking at the sx600, but would also like to be able to layer 3 voices instead of only 2.

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 12:47:14 AM »
I don’t think anyone can advise one way over the other, because it’s not just a technical decision. These are very different musician approaches. It’s really more about how you want to perform. Do you want to play live with styles, which is very flexible. Or play along with pre prepared backing tracks, which is a very different approach. As you know there are performers making a living using each of these methods.
When you decide you can get help in how to do it, but the decision which one has to be yours.
Mike

DonM

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 06:04:30 AM »
Actually, I feel the newer models are more user-friendly than the older ones.  With Yamaha, it is essential to learn a way to use Registrations.  There are several good ways, but however you do it, they are the key to smooth operation.
DNJ has an SX600 for sale that he's only had a couple of weeks.  I think he posted it here yesterday, or you can also find it on our Arranger facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819613151594818/

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 12:33:11 PM »
If you want three voices to layer then try the SX700 or SX900. Both very good keyboards.