Author Topic: See the chords while playing a MIDI file  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Toril S

See the chords while playing a MIDI file
« on: May 04, 2021, 09:06:05 PM »
Hello friends :)
I have a MIDI file made on a T5, and I want the Genos to display what chords are played. I am sure I could get this info on my T5, but can't find it on the Genos. On Genos I can only see the chords when I make a chord while playing a style.
EDIT: I played a MIDI file that I myself have made on the Genos, and the chords were displayed. Hm. Not the file I got from a friend. I figured out the chords nevertheless, but?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:00:42 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

Re: See the chords while playing a MIDI file
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 10:08:45 PM »
Hi Toril-- This will show everything and chords!!! :) :) :)
I think now it is best to go for a 12.9 Ipad and an Air turn (footpedal for turning pages of sheet music)
The 12.9 Is near as **** it A4 size
In Uk you can pick one up for £879 , but in middle of May the new 2021 Ipads will be out in the shops , but at £989. 128 memory. (enough).
The new ipads also have Usb sockets to save out to a PC with a new type of lead saving you from Drop box pestering over upgrading.
It would of been nice if Yamaha had a screen that displayed music chords symbols which could be projected to a monitor.
It would be great on the next Genos to import sheet music PDF into the machine but i think that would not happen.
I think purchased midi files can display chords, but not the ones we make.
You can get a Free yamaha program that displays the chords of any song, by importing a wave file and then you have sheet music that is not in the shops. well that is if you write out what you see!! ::) :P
I am like you and wondered that also, but now i have decided to push out the boat and get a decent Ipad with a large screen.
It will be great for watching fooball on EFL also and i believe that the new Camera on the new ipads are excellent.
Also, I think it can turn into a mobile phone albeit large, but some like Face time with friends and would be perfect. Not for me though . Hate mobile phones of any desciption as it dumbs people down in my view. Always fiddling with them even at dinner tables. You can see that with youngsters Kind a like lol!!!! and amazin'  bad as those inverted comma's with raised fingers. SAUSAGES!!! ;D  I like FAB best!!!
Oh well as Eileen said to me once , "you cannot take it with you"!! ;D
Cannot go on holidays yet so saving lots of dough!! I personally think that another year has to pass before we can really open up and i see another wave coming on in winter as the lemmings do not heed the restrictions. I am like a wet rag at the moment after my second dose of covid injection on Saturday.
May as well treat myself!!

All the Best
John :)

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:25:25 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Patrick

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 10:35:09 PM »
Hi Toril, you can have the chords on your midi; just download Psruti program and then import your midi and add the chords, .... you can also transpose the midi, add lyrics, ......, you can print the lyrics with the chords, .... great tools. When you're on the genos just go to text view and play; all the best Patrick.
 :)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 10:41:19 PM »
Thanks John and Patrick! But I was wondering why not a file made on another keyboard will not show the chord letters in the orange style display on home screen just like the files I make myself on my Genos? As I can only see one letter at a time I can't use Ipad or any program for this, so the function on the keyboard comes in handy :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 11:08:59 PM »
Hi Toril,
  Other keyboards that are not Yamaha will probably use different tracks to record style to. This also happens with commercially purchased Midi's A lot tend to use track 2 for base and track 5 for melody. It has to be recorded on a Yamaha keyboard that uses its own format as we know it.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 11:13:07 PM »
Thanks Eileen :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 11:19:40 PM »
As suggested, PSRUTI should be used. Each MIDI can have chord information displayed on the screen for Lyrics.

https://youtu.be/nwx-rNBGZS0
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

DonM

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 06:56:02 AM »
Too bad Roland isn't making anything new in the middle or top of the line.  All their arrangers have the ability to interpret chords in midi files, without anyone having to add them.  They show the current chord being played AND the chord in the upcoming measure.  It's a software of some sort that so far is unique to them.
Surely Yamaha would have the resources to do this if they chose to do so.
Doesn't much matter to me as I very seldom use a  midi file, but I know it would be a real great feature to many. 

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 10:09:45 AM »
I sometimes use MIDI files as a help in learning a song, as I do not read music. To have the chord letters come up on the screen is useful. Usually I can hear what chord is played, but sometimes I am not sure.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:45:25 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 01:09:39 PM »
Hi Toril

When you make a MIDI file with a style using the 'quick record' option, the recorder embeds extra information in the MIDI file. This is called 'XF' data and contains, for example, the chord changes. When you play back the file, if it contains this XF data then then chords can be displayed on the screen. They can also be used to drive the vocal harmony.

The PSRUTI tool analysis the MIDI file and inserts it's 'best guess' at the chords by adding XF data.

If you are not seeing chords when playing back a file, that would suggest it was not recorded in the 'quick record' option and has no XF data.
Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 03:48:41 PM »
Thanks rriends. The file is recorded by a forum friend on a Tyros 5, but maybe not quick record.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 07:45:28 AM »
Hey!
To see cord in the midi file, the file must be saved as midi 0.
If it is saved as midi 1, the cord function disappears, even lyrics if it is entered.
All data remains in the file, but is moved so the keyboard does not "see" the cord.
You can try to convert the file to a midi 0 file in a daw-program, if that can help.
// Pierre
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 07:49:24 AM by PierreSW »
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 11:09:24 AM »
Thanks Pierre!😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.