Author Topic: Alternative to pedal 1 and pedal 2  (Read 2150 times)

Offline shezza

Alternative to pedal 1 and pedal 2
« on: May 04, 2021, 08:53:42 AM »
Hi all I have been set a task from a disabled friend, He cannot use any foot pedals to trigger any intros endings etc. Also the reach on his right arm is not very good to reach the intro or ending buttons on the keyboard
(SX 900) So he has asked if I can rig a couple of over sized buttons for pedal 1 and pedal 2 to go on the the extreme right of the keyboard which I have no problem doing. The only thing is what sort of switching do the buttons require. When I put a continuity tester on my pedals it shows they are completing the circuit when untouched but breaking when pressed is this correct.

Offline Colin D

Re: Alternative to pedal 1 and pedal 2
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 09:15:53 AM »
You can use a microswitch, often they have Normally open or closed contacts.  So you can choose what to use.  And then it is selectable in software too on the keyboard.  Choose a qood quality switch, cheap versions may have switch bounce and cause multiple triggered events.
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline overover

Re: Alternative to pedal 1 and pedal 2
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 01:07:40 PM »
... The only thing is what sort of switching do the buttons require. When I put a continuity tester on my pedals it shows they are completing the circuit when untouched but breaking when pressed is this correct.

Hi shezza,

yes, you are correct: Yamaha foot switches (FC5, FC4A) have "normally closed" electrical contacts. The contact opens when the pedal is pressed.

But, as already mentioned by Colin, you can also use switches with "normally open" contacts. The pedals/switches should be connected before powering on the keyboard. Then normally the "Polarity" of the pedals is recognized automatically. If the pedal still works "reversed", just call up the "Assignable" display (press "Direct Access" button, then press the pedal) and change the Polarity from + to - (or vice versa). Then close the "Assignable" display to save the changes.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)