Author Topic: Vocal Harmony  (Read 7105 times)

Offline Colin D

Vocal Harmony
« on: April 30, 2021, 08:28:47 PM »
Hi Folks,

I’m experimenting with vocal harmony, I’m using  Shure SM58 microphone, I can’t get very good results, am I missing something here chaps?

Kind regards

Colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline soryt

Re: Vocal Harmony
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 10:00:18 PM »
Good Voice ?  ;D ;D ;D

Soneg  ;)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Colin D

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 08:42:33 AM »
Good Voice ?  ;D ;D ;D

Soneg  ;)

Hahaha, definitely,

It just doesn’t sound good with anyone’s voice, is it the wrong type of microphone?

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 10:54:40 AM »
With your Shure mic you normally must have a very good result.

Start with a low volume.
What about EQ ?

Good luck,  Jeff
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 11:16:01 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline browzer

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 06:16:06 PM »
The first thing I do is make sure the pitch correct is switched off, I can't get anywhere near a natural sound when this is on. Most presets have this on as default.

Ronnie
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 06:18:14 PM by browzer »
Genos

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

DonM

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 06:34:53 PM »
A few hints to try:
Turn the harmony voice or voices down about 15 or 20 percent lower than the lead.
Use minimal reverb on the harmony voices.
Experiment with changing the Gender of the harmony voices.
Be CERTAIN not to engage or disengage the harmonizer while you are actually singing a note.  Yamaha's archaic harmonizer creates an audible glitch every time you do that.
If you are using styles, be sure to use the harmonizer in the proper mode, not Vocoder. 
Be certain to position your mic where it is not picking up sound from your speakers and "re-harmonizing".
Good luck!

Offline Colin D

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »
The first thing I do is make sure the pitch correct is switched off, I can't get anywhere near a natural sound when this is on. Most presets have this on as default.

Ronnie

Hi, thank you everyone,

May I ask where the pitch correct setting is please?

Offline Colin D

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 05:31:46 PM »
Well I tinkered about with the settings and now the Microphone don't work.  Any ideas ton how to reset it to working again anyone please,

Offline browzer

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 06:31:10 PM »
Hi, thank you everyone,

May I ask where the pitch correct setting is please?

Colin,

Press the white MENU button (next to HOME) select Vocal harmony and then press the settings 'gear' icon (to the left of where it says TYPE)
the Pitch correct setting is on page 2 of this menu.

Ronnie

Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 06:57:10 PM »
Well I tinkered about with the settings and now the Microphone don't work.  Any ideas ton how to reset it to working again anyone please,

Hi Colin,

make sure the Mic Gain knob is set properly (so that the LED is flashing green or orange but not red when speaking/singing into the Mic) .

Make sure the Mic volume is not set too low (by one of the pre-programmed Sliders or in the Mixer display or in the Mic Setting display or in the Vocal Harmony display). Check also that the "Lead" and "Harmony" volume is not fully turned down in the Vocal Harmony display.

Make also sure the Mic is not switched off by the corresponding button in the Mic Setting display (on the top left).

The Vocal/Talk switch (in the Mic Setting) should be set to Vocal. In addition, I would leave leave the Mic Noise Gate and also the Mic Compressor  switched off for now, at least while you are making the basic mic settings.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 07:11:19 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Colin D

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 07:14:49 PM »
Hello again,

Thank you everyone for your help so far.  Should the black switch by the Mic socket be on or off for a sureSM58?

I still can't get it working,  I notice if I tap the microhone I see and occasionally hear some signal.  I ahve tried another new Microphone, still no luck?  Anymore ideas please?

Many thanks

Colin

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 07:55:44 PM »
Hello again,

Thank you everyone for your help so far.  Should the black switch by the Mic socket be on or off for a sureSM58?

I still can't get it working,  I notice if I tap the microhone I see and occasionally hear some signal.  I ahve tried another new Microphone, still no luck?  Anymore ideas please?

Many thanks

Colin

Hi Colin,

if the SM58 has a switch, you have to slide the switch upwards (in the direction of the steel mesh grille) to switch it on. As a precaution, switch it off and on again several times. This could clean the internal contacts of the switch again if they are oxidized.

Maybe the cable is broken. Try to use another microphone cable (XLR female > XLR male plugs).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 07:59:09 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 10:38:23 PM »
I use a Shure SM58 with no problem. Usually have the Mic gain knob about half way. Do you have the mic volume turned up in the mixer.

Offline Colin D

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 07:08:12 AM »
Thank you everyone,

I found the problem in the XLR end of the cable. the cable clamp had come loose and the wires all twisted together shorting out the microphone.  Now I need to reset my VH settings.  Would someone be kind enough to share some screen shots of their microphone settings screen please to allow me to get back to a default setting.

Kind Regards

Colin

Offline browzer

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 03:47:07 PM »
Colin,

I have 2 mics and the settings for each are set totaly different, but a good place to start is to set every setting on the page to it's mid point and then make small adjustments from there. I keep noise gate on and compressor on to allow me to controll output (if compressor is off then output 'knob' is grayed out). Once you have a setting that works for you save it off as a user setting for future recall. 

When it comes to the Vocal Harmony settings just start by calling up one of the simple presets as a starting point, mess about with these settings to find out what each setting does bearing in mind that there are several pages of adjustments within this section. Save off when you find something that works.

Note that the vocal harmony settings can saved to a registration whereas the Mic steeings can not.

Ronnie

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:51:20 PM by browzer »
Genos

Offline Colin D

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 12:41:27 PM »
Colin,

I have 2 mics and the settings for each are set totaly different, but a good place to start is to set every setting on the page to it's mid point and then make small adjustments from there. I keep noise gate on and compressor on to allow me to controll output (if compressor is off then output 'knob' is grayed out). Once you have a setting that works for you save it off as a user setting for future recall. 

When it comes to the Vocal Harmony settings just start by calling up one of the simple presets as a starting point, mess about with these settings to find out what each setting does bearing in mind that there are several pages of adjustments within this section. Save off when you find something that works.

Note that the vocal harmony settings can saved to a registration whereas the Mic steeings can not.

Ronnie

Thank you all, fantastic help,

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 11:46:27 PM »
.....and useful tips for anyone reading this item!

Thank you

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.