Author Topic: ForScore and OnSong and Yamaha users....  (Read 3381 times)

Tyros567

ForScore and OnSong and Yamaha users....
« on: April 26, 2021, 03:59:25 PM »
Hi guys, any ForScore or OnSong and Yamaha Genos users are connecting via yamaha Bluetooth Or wifi  linking registrations styles and midi files?
Thanks ( I don’t want to spend more money buying another app if I have already paid for these 2 )

Offline pratcli

Re: ForScore and OnSong and Yamaha users....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 06:47:53 PM »
Hi I’ve been trying to get online help regarding using OnSong and Genos, seems to be no info anywhere, plenty on songbook. If you find any please post link or information

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:11:13 AM »

I recommend that you search for these App names on this forum. I've posted quite a lot recently on how to link both OnSong and Forscore to the Genos, as have others also. Hopefully there's plenty to get you started and if you get stuck at some point getting past something, I am more than happy to assist if I can
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 03:16:46 PM by AndiiRoo »
Genos, Montage 7, PSR EW-410 HS5's, mfc10
Former Keyboards: T1/2/3/5 & various Organs

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »
Have you not searched the forum? There's plenty to get you started and then to ask questions if you get struck

This is a community where people love to help others and answer their questions, i think its great people can ask there questions here and get answers even if the question has been asked before..

As said this is a community, to which from my point of view your comment does not make much sense, because it does not add anything at all to the community..

Bachus

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 11:49:17 AM »
Hi guys, any ForScore or OnSong and Yamaha Genos users are connecting via yamaha Bluetooth Or wifi  linking registrations styles and midi files?
Thanks ( I don’t want to spend more money buying another app if I have already paid for these 2 )

Both just don’t have the utillity and integration with the Genos that songbook + has..  i tried to make it work when i got my genos, but in the end i decided getting songbook + was the easier and less frustrating way

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 03:18:23 PM »
Hey Bachus, you've taken me completely the wrong way, a bit of a shock, apologies, this was meant as a constructive suggestion, I've modified my post in case anyone has misconstrued it.

I've posted loads of advice on both of these Apps and bluetooth linking on the forum fairly recently, I get great tips and advice every day from members of the forum such as yourself, and like to give help back where I think I can. I agree, It's a fantastic community and resource

I also agree SongBook+ is a great App and more easily connected now with the Genos, it's only because I am a long time OnSong user and fan that I like to stick with that. I've also bought MobileSheetsPro for my Mobile following recent postings on here, and also really like that. I bulk exported my library of pdf's into it and find it's great to have that with me on my smartphone to refer to. I'm still getting into it

Cheers, Andy

Offline daleSP

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 06:59:45 PM »
I am currently using OnSong with my PSR-SX900 connected over a Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth adapter to load registrations on the keyboard or to display songs based on the registration selected on the keyboard, i.e., successful two way Midi communications between OnSong and the keyboard. This will also work for Genos keyboards also.

I am using the latest Midi command method (Midi Sysex) to access the registrations. The Midi Sysex command method is only supported by the Genos and PSR-SX keyboards. The older method (Midi PC/MSB/LSB commands from the PSR and Tyros keyboards) are still supported by the Genos and PSR-SX keyboards but the Midi Sysex command method provides more flexibility in where the registration banks can be stored on the keyboard, more flexibility in how the registration banks can be named and removes many limitations of the older method.

Every time a registration is manually loaded, the keyboard sends out a Midi Sysex command indicating the storage location of the loaded registration bank including the active registration memory button. If that same Midi Sysex command is sent back to the keyboard, the indicated registration will be loaded.

So the goal would be to capture the Midi Sysex command associated with the desired registration issued by the keyboard and assign that Midi Sysex command to the desired song in its Send and Receive Midi metadata sections in OnSong.

Conceptually, Forscore, Mobilesheets and Songbook+ etc. all have to do the same capture and assignment process.

The Send Midi metadata section of a song will send out any Midi commands that are there whenever a song is selected for display in OnSong. The Receive Midi metadata section of a song will trigger that song to be displayed when OnSong receives a Midi command which matches the Midi command in its list. Unfortunately, only the first Midi command in the Receive list will be accepted as the trigger command.

OnSong has a Midi Learn/Listen capability in each of its Send and Receive Midi metada sections which, if enabled, will listen for and capture Midi commands sent to OnSong.

Therefore to capture the Midi Sysex command for a loaded registration, enable Midi Learn/Listen in the song's Send Midi metadata section first and then load the appropriate registration on the keyboard.  The keyboard will send the appropriate Midi Sysex command to OnSong which will capture it and assign it to the song's Send Midi metadata section. Now every time that song is displayed in OnSong, the captured Midi Sysex data will be sent back to the keyboard to instruct it to load that registration.

Do the same capture method for the song's Midi Receive metadata, i.e., enable Midi Learn/Listen in the Receive Midi metadata section, load a registration on the keyboard, capture it in OnSong. Make sure that the captured Midi Sysex command is the ONLY one in the list (or at least the first one in the list). Now any time that registration is loaded on the keyboard, OnSong will display the associated song.

Disable the Midi Learn/Listen capability when done.

NOTE: Songbook+ does the above in one step rather than two because Songbook+ has a relationship with Yamaha that allowed them to build this integration into their code specifically for the Genos and PSR-SX keyboards.

Requirements for the use of Midi Sysex commands with registrations:

OnSong at the 2020.7.10 or later release level. This release came out about a month ago. Prior to the 2020.7.10 release level, displaying a song in OnSong could only send a Midi Sysex command to select a registration on the keyboard. Loading a registration on the keyboard first would not trigger OnSong to display a song. OnSong would ignore the incoming Midi Sysex command sent by the keyboard.

Additionally, OnSong at the 2020.7 release level requires your Apple device to be at the IOS/iPadOS 13 level or later, i.e., fairly up-to-date.

And lastly, a working Midi conection between the device and the keyboard whether it's over Bluetooth, Wifi or direct connection. This area is probably the most troublesome especially with some of the changes made recently by Apple re networking. So updating the device to the latest OS levels would be beneficial.

Some more info on the integration between OnSong and the Genos/PSR-SX keyboards can be found here ...
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,44563.0.html
Dale

The following users thanked this post: AndiiRoo

Bachus

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 05:44:21 AM »
Hey Bachus, you've taken me completely the wrong way, a bit of a shock, apologies, this was meant as a constructive suggestion, I've modified my post in case anyone has misconstrued it.

I've posted loads of advice on both of these Apps and bluetooth linking on the forum fairly recently, I get great tips and advice every day from members of the forum such as yourself, and like to give help back where I think I can. I agree, It's a fantastic community and resource

I also agree SongBook+ is a great App and more easily connected now with the Genos, it's only because I am a long time OnSong user and fan that I like to stick with that. I've also bought MobileSheetsPro for my Mobile following recent postings on here, and also really like that. I bulk exported my library of pdf's into it and find it's great to have that with me on my smartphone to refer to. I'm still getting into it

Cheers, Andy

Seems i was wrong too, i also need to appologise for that.
I am just a bot allergic to people nowerdays reacting with : “you can look that up yourself”
I still believe in a community tahts actually helpfull

No hard feeling ;]

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 10:29:03 AM »
None at all, no problem, thanks for coming back.

I meant to add before, that it was back in 2012 and the help through Fred Smith's excellent YouTube video linking his iPad to his Tyros with Songbook to display music, that inspired me back then to start looking at doing the same with OnSong on mine. My attempts at a similar YouTube video were too naff to publish though :-[  Thanks Fred and looking back at it I see that I am still subscribed to your channel in fact!