Author Topic: Any Genos Players use IPad Pro and Songbook+ outside  (Read 12148 times)

Tyros567

Any Genos Players use IPad Pro and Songbook+ outside
« on: April 23, 2021, 09:38:27 PM »
I am asking because I’ve just found out that all my registrations that my Genos have can connect with my iPad using app songbook+ but I can’t link the registrations in my house using my home private wifi , I don’t want to keep trying and eating time if I can not use it in my gigs outside for birthdays parties, etc, thanks
(Every time I try to link registrations  there is an error)

Offline Al Ram

Re: Any Genos Players use IPad Pro and Songbook+ outside
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 10:00:25 PM »
Instead of home WiFi . . . i use a midi wireless adapter . . . . this connects via bluetooth

I have the iPad with SongBook+ and linked all my Genos registrations this way . . . it works anywhere without WiFi

I currently use the Quicco Sound mi.1 . . . it works great

In the past i have also used the Yamaha MD-BT01, work great too . . . . the only reason i selected the quicco is because it is just smaller . . . .and can fit in Genos case without disconnecting it ... so, i just keep it connected all the time 

Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for . . . . hope it helps

Thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Tyros567

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 02:01:05 AM »
Thanks my friend I’m going to look for that Bluetooth adapter midi wireless

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 11:10:54 AM »

Tyros567

The WIFI connection is troublesome. It works great for awhile then goes stupid. You wouldn't want to depend on that for gigs. Another problem with outdoor use is the sun. iPads are hard to see in the sun. After trying WIFI with the Genos WIFI and my own home WIFI,  although it does work it was not dependable. I ended up getting this adapter. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-mUGUBElmqvI/p_472LTUSBC3/Apple-Lightning-to-USB-3-Camera-Adapter.html?awcr=76965829210699&awdv=c&awkw=ipad%20camera%20adapter%20with%20power&awmt=e&awnw=s&awat=&awug=

This adapter hooks the iPad to the Genos and also has another port so you can also charge the iPad when you are home.

Sometimes when linking registrations to sheet music you will get an error message. I have found that toggling the  midi in and midi out on and off will correct this problem.

Hope this helps,

Rick D.

Tyros567

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 03:01:45 PM »
I’ll try toggling midi in out to see if it works, thanks

henrycar

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 04:56:55 PM »
Al Ram, cut you give us more information about the "Quicco Sound mi.1".
 Can't see it on Amazon.

Thanks

Offline jtrue

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 10:28:32 PM »
I'm with RIck D.  Using the Apple camera adapter and a USB cable is simple, reliable and cheap enough to buy a spare set for any emergency.  I don't have a Genos and am unsure which USB cable type is best for that instrument but this is the one I use with my PSR-S910: 
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USBAB1MR-Right-Angle-Cable/dp/B00FP32HI0/ref=sr_1_1
It has a right-angle connection for the keyboard so the cable can remain in place when the instrument is put in its case.  The camera adapter stays in the iPad, too, and all the connection/disconnection action is done where the USB cable meets the camera adapter.  In this way, the sockets on the keyboard and iPad are saved from any wear and tear and if anything goes wrong it is most likely that you will only have to replace an inexpensive cable or adapter, not face a costly repair to the keyboard or iPad.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 03:37:59 AM »
Al Ram, cut you give us more information about the "Quicco Sound mi.1".
 Can't see it on Amazon.

It looks like the Quicco adapter . . . . . it is hard to get . . . . i found a couple on ebay . . . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133735171591?hash=item1f233cc607:g:hFYAAOSwSPhgfwSP

You can look it up on Youtube to see it physically and how it works . . . .  for me it has worked great.  You can also use the Yamaha wireless one or the wired solution using the apple camera adapter described by Rick.  I have used them all . . . . . . currently using the Quicco . . . . because it is always on the Genos . . . no need to connect disconnect anything . . . . . .

Have a great day

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 10:33:38 AM »
Hi
I have a Hp21 slate and nowadays it is slow as a zx Spectrum ,even using mobile sheets and virus protection

I know people use an Ipad  and song book.
I am wondering what people think of getting a Samsung 10.5 tablet which can also be used with Air turn.
The advantages of an android of this type is that it has a usb socket which to me is ultra handy. Easy to save things.
With an ipad you have to faff about with saving stuff from it through itunes  and sometimes that can be frustrating when you hit problems.
My other half has an ipad , but i am not enthralled with it. No usb for quick saving to external drive for backups
Does anyone use a Samsung android??. Are they as good as an ipad??

All the best
john :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 05:00:36 PM »
ugawoga,

What you state is true about using iTunes to load sheet music on an iPad, but supposedly they are doing away with it. We have to wait in see. Songbook+ has other ways to load sheet music as well, like from an email.

The biggest downside of the Samsung is that Yamaha make no software that works on Android, so you are limited to what you can use it for with the Genos.

Rick D.

henrycar

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 05:36:42 PM »
Thanks Al Ram.
Very expensive isn't it?

Offline Bill

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 06:15:20 PM »

1.   I am wondering what people think of getting a Samsung 10.5 tablet which can also be used with Air turn.
2.   The advantages of an android of this type is that it has a usb socket which to me is ultra handy. Easy to save things.
3.   With an ipad you have to faff about with saving stuff from it through itunes  and sometimes that can be frustrating when you hit problems.

John

1.  Samsung tablets are just as expensive as some IPADs these days.
2.  Most iPad's can directly connect a USB these days.
3.  Itunes is no longer used to transfer files to an iPad.  -  It is now really simple. You can save files directly from the iPad to Dropbox or Box.
     You can even save them directly to  a USB connected to the Genos.

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Tyros567

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 06:18:20 PM »
Thanks my friend I’m going to look for that Bluetooth adapter midi wireless
By the way I ordered the yamaha Bluetooth adapter because I didn’t find the qicco in NYC and I’m still trying to connect songbook+ with my yamaha Genos registrations and it say error can’t link ...I don’t know what I’m doing wrong iPad and keyboard are in the same wifi account please any advice thanks

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 11:10:12 PM »
I have an iPad pro . .. . . and use this USB/lightning device to transfer files back and forth to the iPad such as mp3, pdf ,etc.

It works great . . . . for me

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-iXpand-iPhone-Silver-SDIX30C-128G-GN6NE/dp/B01CIEBXZG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ixpand&qid=1619388408&sr=8-3

The 32GB model is only $22 US Dollars . . . . 

However, most of the time i download files from OneDrive directly into SongBook+ in the iPad.  . . . . . all my PDF's that link to my Genos registrations are downloaded this way . . . . .

Hope this helps

Best regards
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 11:31:16 PM by Al Ram »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 05:32:18 PM »

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 09:34:59 PM »
Rick

Question .. .  . is dropbox account free ? if not, how much per year ?

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Patrick

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 11:17:16 PM »
Hi Al, Dropbox is free for 3 computer/Phone or tablet; if you want more peripherics you've to pay! I use dropbox between my computer and my Ipad connected to my SX 900; works just great! All the best Patrick

The following users thanked this post: Rick D.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 03:56:46 AM »
Patrick,

thank you so much for the info.  It is good to know, will get a dropbox account.

Have a great day
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 07:04:49 PM »
Hi To all Members

Well, i have got so fed up with my HP slate as it is slower than ever now especially with just the free AVG antivirus
If i put a Norton in there the machine would probably stop and freeze. Worse than a ZX Spectrum now, but was a 21inch screen and great for music reading.
It lasted a few years though, Musn't Grumble.

Which one of the Ipads is the best size for music reading??  so many variations. I do like the device idea that saves The Ipad  to Usb ready to transfer to Pc.

I do agree that the Ipad is the best way as i can put my Lurssen device in there to see how the music sounds in the car.
Also quite a few Yamaha things.

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 07:10:16 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 09:16:05 PM »
Well, i have got so fed up with my HP slate as it is slower than ever now especially with just the free AVG antivirus
If i put a Norton in there the machine would probably stop and freeze. Worse than a ZX Spectrum now, but was a 21inch screen and great for music reading.
It lasted a few years though, Musn't Grumble.

Which one of the Ipads is the best size for music reading??  so many variations. I do like the device idea that saves The Ipad  to Usb ready to transfer to Pc.

I do agree that the Ipad is the best way as i can put my Lurssen device in there to see how the music sounds in the car.
Also quite a few Yamaha things.

The first thing to do is dump your anti-virus software. The built-in Windows Defender is all you need.

Regarding an iPad size, obviously the largest would read the best. So it's more a function of your budget and your eyesight to determine what's best for you. I use an 11" iPad, which is all I need, but there are others who swear by the 12.9" size.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 11:57:33 AM »
I use Ipad pro as the screen is A4 size and just right for me.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 01:18:20 PM »

Hi Eileen

Are you talking about the 12.9 Ipad??

I have been looking at the prices and John Lewis is doing Zero%  at the moment.
This model is about £1000.
Had my second covid injection and feel like a wet rag now!! Hope this is not the start of depopulation!! ;D "Chemical Warfare in other words"!!
People moaning about cannot go on holidays. Just imagine now going on a cruise. Every island you visit and come back to the ship there will be a half mile queue being tested and proded up your nose before boarding and wearing a face mask all day long. That would not be a holiday!! Better off at Ourgate!! ;D
All the Best
John
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 01:39:19 PM by ugawoga »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 01:25:07 PM »
The first thing to do is dump your anti-virus software. The built-in Windows Defender is all you need.

Regarding an iPad size, obviously the largest would read the best. So it's more a function of your budget and your eyesight to determine what's best for you. I use an 11" iPad, which is all I need, but there are others who swear by the 12.9" size.

Cheers,
Fred

Hi Fred
The HP slate  has had it's day now as it does not contain a large memory or ram.
I use Norton on my music  computer i7 and it is great running with Malwarebytes
 on my other computer for general use.
I am definitely going to purchase one which will also be good with my Airturn.
On the Slate i had mobile sheets which was great and hope there is a similar great app for the ipad.

All the best
John
Some say that the 11inch is better for handling although being slightly smaller.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 09:25:45 PM by ugawoga »

Offline reya

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2021, 01:38:47 PM »
A version of Mobilesheets for iPad is currently beeing developed.

It may take some time before it is ready though ...

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2021, 01:42:23 PM »
A version of Mobilesheets for iPad is currently beeing developed.

It may take some time before it is ready though ...

Rudy

Hi Rudy

This has been going on some time now and i would love Mobile Sheets to be developed for the Ipad . A great program
Has it gone into beta testing yet?

All the Best
John

Offline EileenL

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 10:32:17 PM »
Yes John that is the Ipad I have. There is no difficulty in taking it around and I have a 64 bit memory which is all I will ever need. Very easy on the old eyes.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 11:13:58 PM »
Re: wireless MIDI part of this discussion - I use the Quicco Sound mi.1 as some others do; I have one
on my Genos and on my Tyros, they work very well and only very rarely have I had a problem.  I have done
many dozens of gigs (and jams/parties etc.) using the Quicco Sound mi.1 with my iPad; using the
unrealBook app which works for my recalling Registrations whenever I call up a song on my iPad.

Yes, the Quicco Sound mi.1 is now hard to find; I wish they kept making them.  I don't know if there is
another similar wireless MIDI devices that is this small!

-Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 12:30:29 AM »
Al Ram,

Sorry I missed your question, and i see it was answered already. As stated above Dropbox is free for 3 computers/iPads etc... and has 2 gigs of space.

Rick D.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:37:49 AM by Rick D. »

Offline reya

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 06:59:17 AM »

Has it gone into beta testing yet?

No John, not yet.
As far as I can tell, the actual development has only recently started

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 11:08:24 AM »
Yes John that is the Ipad I have. There is no difficulty in taking it around and I have a 64 bit memory which is all I will ever need. Very easy on the old eyes.

Hi Eileen
Yes, i have decided to get a 12.9 ipad at £939 as the 64 gig  memory are now not being produced by what i have found out.
I dont need a great deal of space as my PC is better for that.
You can  get as shown on this thread a device to transfer from ipad to pc to free up space anyway.
A little expensive ,but as you said in the past ,you cannot take it with you .
I reckon we all have saved quite a bit because of all the restrictions  over the last year.
One little side question if you do know the answer
Is a new Genos in development or under a different name??

All the Best

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2021, 11:10:23 AM »
No John, not yet.
As far as I can tell, the actual development has only recently started

Rudy

Thanks Rudy for your reply.
I will keep an eye out and see how this develops.

All the Best

Offline EileenL

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »
Not to my knowledge yet John but who knows with the break in production and slow down caused by this dreaded virus. Like always Yamaha will let us know when good and ready. I expect we will get strange information and spoof pictures as time passes.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2021, 01:12:09 PM »
Hi again Eileen
I have had clearance from the boss to get the ipad pro2021.
Another little thing is that on my Genos i have the forward slash almost disappeared on the start button, but all the rest of everything is alright at the moment.
Would you get that sent all the way back to Yamaha, just to change a button or just live with it.
I am only concerned if and when the next keyboard arrives on the scene. Still got a years guarantee on the machine.
I would not think it would de value the Genos which is in top condition. just the Forward slash missing now. It may have bee like it when purchased ,i do not know.

Back on topic now Ipad,Ipad ,Ipad!!! ;D

All the best
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:13:35 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2021, 05:36:10 PM »
I had some Genos buttons fading . . . . so, I took to Yamaha approved tech for replacing under Yamaha's approval.     Before taking the keyboard back i tested and everything was good. 

After a few days . . . . I noticed that some other buttons were not working properly.  It looks like in the process of replacing some buttons he left some loose connections in other places.

So, i had to take it back to the shop for repair again . . . . . . . all in all . . .i had to take it back and forth like 4 times.   

All this for a couple of buttons that were fading.

Everything is good now . . . . but in retrospect not sure that i would do this again.

Hope this helps.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2021, 09:48:08 PM »
Hi Al
In my case it may be wise to live with it as when trading in for the next Genos they may not detect just a small slash missing
On the Start /Stop button
As i said i still have a years guarantee till October 2022.

All the best

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2021, 11:34:21 AM »
Hi
I am almost 100% going to get a Ipad pro  128 or 256.g

I have a little concern as i have read that these pro ipads can get really hot after 30minutes of use approx
Is this a thing that has to be lived with or is it just rogue apps and not swiping away background apps that causes a problem.
Also does a case around the Pro ipad lead to a hotter machine.
Middle of may the new Generation will be out , but there are some good prices on the Pro 2020.
Can anyone recommend which ipad for music reading is best out of the 12. 9 versions?? apart from all the other things it can do.
I would appreciate your opinon on this as a £1000 shell out is not to be taken lightly.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2021, 12:33:09 PM »
Ugawogo,

Mine has never got hot and I keep it on and charging 24/7.

Rick D.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2021, 03:21:36 PM »
Mine never gets hot and I have quite a few different apps on it. Certainly dose not get hot when I charge it.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2021, 03:58:21 PM »
I have a little concern as i have read that these pro ipads can get really hot after 30minutes of use approx
Is this a thing that has to be lived with or is it just rogue apps and not swiping away background apps that causes a problem.
Middle of may the new Generation will be out , but there are some good prices on the Pro 2020.
Can anyone recommend which ipad for music reading is best out of the 12. 9 versions?? apart from all the other things it can do.
I would appreciate your opinon on this as a £1000 shell out is not to be taken lightly.

iPads get hot only when you use them in the sun. Indoors, they're fine.

The best app depends on what features you need. I use Songbook+ as it's one click to load both the pdf and the registration, but there are many others.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bill

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2021, 04:49:44 PM »
Hi
I am almost 100% going to get a Ipad pro  128 or 256.g

Hi John

Cases can get very expensive, however I bought one as shown in the link and I very pleased with it.  I would not worry about iPads getting hot.

Bill

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086PX7GLQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2021, 11:35:44 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has replied .

Well i am convinced now to get a 12.9 ipad .

Looking at the prices for new ones i think it is best to hold on until 20th May as the new generation will be out.
If they discounted the 2020 versions i would be tempted.
It all depends now on how the new ones sell which may bring the price down.
Middle of May sounds good to get out and about as i have had my second injection.
I felt like a wet rag for four days after the second jab of pfhizer uuugh!! :-[
Thanks all for the information, much appreciated. Thanks Bill for the link, good price for the cover.
Answering Eileen and Fred --- It is said the ipads can get hot if you have background apps running or a rogue app. Best to swipe them all out.

All the best
John
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:24:56 AM by ugawoga »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2021, 12:51:58 AM »
Answering Eileen and Fred --- It is said the ipads can get hot if you have background apps running or a rogue app. Best to swipe them all out.

People say lots of things.

I can often have over 30 apps in the background, running for a long time before I bother to swipe them out.

The only time I’ve ever had a problem with heat is when it’s been out in the sun for over an hour or two.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2021, 08:45:08 AM »
Hi Fred
The only problem now is --Which12.9 to get!!! ;D

All the best

Offline EileenL

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2021, 12:40:58 PM »
The one that suits you best is the one to go for.

henrycar

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2021, 07:51:26 PM »
Should get the 12.9 Ipad with 250 Gb, you are going to have it for years, may as well have plenty of memory. You wont be able to increase after you buyit

Bachus

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2021, 11:53:44 AM »

The 12,9”. Ipad pro is just perfect for reading sheet music..

A new one is expensive, but used models work just as well for reading sheet music

Offline EileenL

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »
I paid around £950 for mine with 128Gb of memory. Was a little less for the 68Gb. Use with I turn pedal and works great for me.

Bachus

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2021, 01:37:37 PM »
I paid around £950 for mine with 128Gb of memory. Was a little less for the 68Gb. Use with I turn pedal and works great for me.

Thats true, but the new model starts at €1250 and 128GB, its got however an incredible screen which you can even read in bright sunlight

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2021, 09:11:05 PM »
Hi Bachus and Eileen

I spotted In the John Lewis store    2020 Apple iPad Pro 12.9", A12Z Bionic, iOS, Wi-Fi, 256gb, Silver    £919 with two year guarantee

Also the new 2021, 12.9 Ipad in Currys will be £1099 for the Silver 12.9  with 256gb
256 gig is the most sensible, but with these machines now you can usb out.
These will be approx in the stores 20th May

I could either go for the John Lewis deal with two year guarantee or wait until the  the 20th May.

I just had a nasty feeling!!! John Lewis is closing a lot of stores in 2021 , so their guarantee will be void if they all go down
John Lewis is in Big Debt

Now, i will wait until the 20th May and go for a 2021 model at Currys . "That is it" :)
Already have the Air turn and as Eileeen says, it is a great page turner.

All the best
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 09:41:32 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2021, 11:39:45 PM »
Not sure how it works over there . . . . in the USA . . .... the warranty is backed by Apple . . . . .

So, even if the store where you purchased the Apple device is gone . . . . Apple will back the warranty. (as long as the warranty is still active)

I know because sometime ago I purchased an iPad 12.9 . . . . a little before a year or so i had problems with the battery . . . . i took it directly to Apple and they replaced it with another one brand new  iPad.  . .  . .the good news is that because in the old iPad i had set it up for iCloud backup  . . . . the new iPad was like a clone of the old one . . . within the hour, all programs were automatically transferred to the new one via iCloud. . .  including my PDF's, SongBook+, etc.   just like a clone of the old one . . . . . i did not even notice the difference.   

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana