Author Topic: Any way to boost the default ACMP background sound level?  (Read 3267 times)

BillErickson

Any way to boost the default ACMP background sound level?
« on: April 25, 2021, 06:28:28 PM »
When the ACMP button is pressed but the style is not actually running, the keyboard plays a soft bass/string sound with the appropriate chord voicing.  I like to use this sound while working out parts, but the sound level is really low.  I usually end up boosting it in the mixer (and then resetting it back when I'm ready to actually play against the style at tempo), but it would be nice if there was some way to just increase the volume level of this background mode.  Anybody know a way to do this??

Offline ckobu

Re: Any way to boost the default ACMP background sound level?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 06:35:35 PM »
You need to increase the volume of Bass and Pad channels.

https://youtu.be/WUV5RlGRDdk?t=54
Watch my video channel

BillErickson

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 06:53:11 PM »
Interesting tutorial -- I learned a few tricks.

But the default ACMP sound doesn't seem to be tied to the bass/pad settings of the actual style (it doesn't change under different styles) and tweaking the bass/pad settings in the mixer doesn't change it (and even if it did, I'd still have to reset them back to normal when actually running at tempo with the style normally).

[EDIT]  I *did* switch the "STOP ACMP" setting from FIXED to STYLE, so that the bass/pad setting in the mixer would change them, but for the Style I was working with the selected pad voice was a bell sound and didn't sustain, and I'd still have to deal with resetting the bass/pad settings back to normal when ready to actually play "live" with the style.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 07:18:29 PM by BillErickson »

BillErickson

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 06:53:53 PM »
I sometimes just switch over to a Free Play style and use that when I'm working out a part, but I'd rather just leave the keyboard setup in the correct Style so I don't have to switch around.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 06:59:21 PM »

But the default ACMP sound doesn't seem to be tied to the bass/pad settings of the actual style (it doesn't change under different styles) and tweaking the bass/pad settings in the mixer doesn't change it (and even if it did, I'd still have to reset them back to normal when actually running at tempo with the style normally).

In this case, a Left sound is heard. Simply reduce its volume.
There is also a third option if Split for Acomp is set to the last key, in which case the sounds set in the Right zone are heard.
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: TheBitfiddler

Online DerekA

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 07:13:24 PM »

This is called 'stop accompaniment' mode, and you can choose to either have these default fixed sounds, or use the sounds from the currently selected style.
Genos

BillErickson

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 07:23:20 PM »
I appreciate the suggestions so far, but they all involve tweaking parameters that I would have to undo when I go back to playing the style normally.  I already have a way to do that by boosting the style volume in the mixer (and then backing it down when ready to play normally).

What I'm looking for is a way is boosting the volume in the "Stop accompaniment mode" (thanks DerekA for the term) that doesn't change how the style plays normally, so I don't have to keep tweaking things when going back-and-forth.

DonM

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 07:30:03 PM »
Can you assign a knob to adjust the style/lead voice balance?  I don't remember if there is a dedicated knob for that, but it might work.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 07:31:45 PM by DonM »

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 08:29:04 PM »
For changing back and forth between using the styles "normally", and having a modified volume for non-style playing, you could also use Registrations. Simply assign a registration button to "normal" style playing and another to the setting you prefer for practice. This way, you can go back and forth between both modes with just a button.

Regards!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 10:00:45 PM »
On my S975 I can assign one of the live control knobs for this.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page