Author Topic: Which is better ?  (Read 13646 times)

Offline Ton Antheunisse

Which is better ?
« on: April 22, 2021, 07:40:14 AM »
I own the psr S975 for a while now and to be honest , I don't like it at all , my mistake for buying it !!
I do read a lot of good things about the psr SX900, so , is any member able to tell me if I should make the swap or buy a 2nd hand Tyros 4 or 5 ?  I used to own the 5 and I should have kept it  :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Cheers,

Ton

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Which is better ?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 07:59:56 AM »
I own the psr S975 for a while now and to be honest , I don't like it at all , my mistake for buying it !!
I do read a lot of good things about the psr SX900, so , is any member able to tell me if I should make the swap or buy a 2nd hand Tyros 4 or 5 ?  I used to own the 5 and I should have kept it

You need to tell us what you don’t like about the 975 so posters can take that into account.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 08:08:37 AM »
Hi Ton  :

I had the same problem question in January 2021.😜

I discussed this issue with another Dutch pro musician and he convinced me to buy the SX900.
I followed his advice and once I owned the SX900 I found out I made the right decision.

Wish you good luck with your choice ! 😃

Best regards from The Netherlands, JH

Offline johan

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 09:57:10 AM »
Both Tyros 5 and SX900 (and even the SX700 to a certain extent) would be a huge improvement for you compared to the S975. The SX900 of course has a much friendlier interface than the Tyros thanks to the touch screen. If you want to compare how they sound, I suggest you look at the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAoy7N2AMT4&t=519s
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline RobertM

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 11:49:33 AM »
Hello Ton,
I've had the S975, T5, and now the SX900. Subjective for each:-

T5  + Nice mellow sounds. Organ world and ensemble voices. Well supported with packs. Tilting screen.
T5 -  No integral speakers. Had a few crashes which I thought may have been due to inadequate processor or memory. Happens when using ensemble voices.

S975 a much brighter instrument and I used it in preference to the T5 when I had both. Integral speakers. Screen OK for twin setup. In my opinion a MUCH better recorder and Music Finder, though no mp3.

SX900  a terrific instrument
+ Good styles and voices.  Integral speakers. The new OS does take getting used to........reckon on several months... Speakers not bad but a set of auxilliary makes it a lot better. Mine are Behringer Studio 50s.
-  The DREADFUL non-tilting screen, especially for a twin, and an awful music finder and recorder.

To sum, yes, the SX900 in the end is better than both the others in my oinion, but be prepared to get used to it and put up with things that should have been better.

Regards,
Robert.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 04:11:54 PM »
No mention of the far better keybed of the TYROS. For me my playing enjoyment starts with the quality of the Keybed.
DGX670

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 05:44:12 PM »
I like my 975 far better than the SX900, so I let it pass. But I have the T5 and Genos. Both are great keyboards. It comes down to budget and is a matter of taste.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline johan

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 10:42:50 AM »
Indeed, quality of the voices is a matter of personal taste. Below a link to a video that compares S975 with SX900 so everyone can check for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GsY40P2Wc
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Online overover

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 11:16:30 AM »
I do read a lot of good things about the psr SX900, so , is any member able to tell me if I should make the swap or buy a 2nd hand Tyros 4 or 5 ?  I used to own the 5 and I should have kept it  :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( ...

Hi Ton,

I would currently no longer buy a Tyros4, mainly because the T4 is not yet compatible with the current YEM expansion technology.

If a Genos is too expensive for you, but you still value a very good keybed (FSX type), I recommend the Tyros5. It should be noted that the T5 does not have a built-in Expansion Memory. But you can install up to 2 GB. (Genos has 3 GB.) However, the 2 GB Expansion Memory module for the T5 is relatively expensive. It would therefore be ideal if a used T5 had already installed the module.

If the (compared to Genos and T5) somewhat "poorer" keybed of the SX900 is enough, you have an up-to-date instrument with touchscreen operation. The overall sound (voices / styles / effects) of the SX900 is a bit more "modern" than that of the T5. However, the SX900 has no SA2 Voices (as known from Genos and T5).

If I had to choose between the T5 and SX900, I would take the T5, because the most important thing for ME is the best possible keybed. But everyone here has different priorities. (I'm currently using Tyros5 & Genos.)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Ton Antheunisse

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 01:42:55 PM »
Hi Friends,

Thank you all very much for your friendly and helpfull advice, I will take it on board :) :)
It is not just a question of affordability or sound quality, the SX900 is not available at the moment, maybe that blasted virus has stopped delivery >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Thanks again,

Ton

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 05:14:34 PM »
Dear Ton,

just a little additional contribution to your thoughts.

Presently I have Genos, and it took  a lot of time to decide for Genos or SX900 (the "baby Genos"), and tested both several times.

I love SX900 and it is an update arranger, a new generation one. This will be precious whenever yo will decide to sell it to buy another keyboard.
SX900 on board speakers are among the best I've heard in arrangers, Their quality is near to studio monitors.
The touch screen interface makes user life tremendously easier, and encourages to dialog with the arranger. All operations and commands are definitively faster and easier. Touch screen became the standard interface for any kind of device, not just in music industry.
Even though SX900 does not have Revo drums, its drumkit (derived from Revo drums) are very close to Genos Revo drums. The general taste of SX900 sound gets very modern, compared to previous arrangers (even flagships).
The portability of SX900 is another factor: to play with a pleasant audio you do not need any additional gear or wires: simplicity.
Finally, the black "dress" of SX900 makes it look professional.

Those concepts, of course, are IMHO.

Ciao

Angelo

Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline marius9

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 10:24:59 AM »
Found below links. Maybe they would be of help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cLVU70WeRo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVyvfOwlynY

From my point of view, what is new should be also better. Depends on how you are use to also...

DonM

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 05:58:15 PM »
...about keytouch.  I never played piano, my first kb was organ.  Therefore I MUCH prefer the lighter, faster action on the PSR's.  Especially now that I'm getting really old and playing for a few hours starts hurting my fingers.  Yes, I'm in the minority since probably a lot of folks here having piano background, but there is no BETTER or WORSE, just different choices for what suits you best.
As far as all the Yamahas I've played (and I've played them all) I love the keys on the Genos the most.  Not weighted feeling, but they still have some substance and may be more expressive.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 07:27:39 PM »
I started with accordion, so I like light keys. It took some time adjusting to Tyros and Genos, but now I like the slightly heavyer keys.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline chirath

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 10:08:55 AM »
I'd like to add small comment here and i'm not a very good keyboard player. accidently i had to use a keyboard called Roland Juno G. it came to me to repair the LCD unit and tried all around the world could not find it. So I played without disply - still can .

it was really different type of unit and the tones are really touched me. finally i brought it for 150 USD. now i have connected this via aux to my 970 and playing them  both. with out the the display of the roland i still can play only the tones. if you are want to have real tones, go for  synthesizer like roland. and mix both of them

Thank you

Chirath

markchapman1976

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 07:42:29 AM »
No mention of the far better keybed of the TYROS. For me my playing enjoyment starts with the quality of the Keybed.

Hi Robert, the PSR S975 does play MP3 files. I just thought I'd correct that. Thanks. 😃