Author Topic: Tempo Strange behaviour  (Read 2868 times)

Offline sunny

Tempo Strange behaviour
« on: April 20, 2021, 11:32:07 AM »
Friends,

I assigned style Tempo speed  to volume knob1. When i try to increase or decrease the tempo speed by turning the knob, the tempo speed changing abruptly. Is there any way to have smooth control of Tempo speed ?

Thanks,
Sunny
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:36:45 AM by sunny »

Offline Wim NL

Re: Tempo Strange behaviour
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 12:20:15 PM »
Just hit the tempo + or  button and use the dial to ajust the tempo.

When you use the volume knob 1 the first tempo refert to your song / style tempo
This may couse your tempo speed abruptly changing.
Best Regards,
Wim

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 01:15:33 PM »
Wim is correct. Before any changes can be made to various Genos settings, they must first receive the "focus." With a knob assignment, you're achieving focus and changing tempo all in one motion, which doesn't work.

Yamaha was brilliant in placing the Tempo buttons on the left of the display window. With the Chord Hold function on and during a 4 bar phrase that has the same chord (for example), you have time to press one of the Tempo buttons to achieve the focus. The tempo increases (or decrease) by one beat - hardly noticeable*. At this point, you can move the speed up or down by small amounts with individual button presses or a lot using the wheel. I also believe there is a setting where you can force the Tempo window to remain displayed for a longer time, should you need extra time to "hunt" for the correct tempo while making a chord change.

I've used this on occasion in a live duet setting. Sometimes our "rehearsed" tempo is a bit too fast or slow. The singer wants to apply a slightly different interpretation to the song. I use the Tempo buttons to make minor adjustments to get us back in sync. In a live band situation, the drummer and bass player will do the same thing, if they're sharp. Luckily, we can achieve the same thing with the Genos :)!

*Edit
In a live situation where the singer is creating tension by being out of sync with the Genos, I've often used just a one beat per minute change to get us back in sync.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:20:24 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »
I'm not beside my Genos just now so I can't try this, but ...

I think this is happening because the knob is not starting at the same "position" as the current tempo. For example, the current tempo may be 120 but the knob is sitting at a position which means 50, because that's where it was left the last time it was used. So as soon as you move the knob to say 51 then the tempo jumps there.

On Tyros 5 sliders, this behaviour didn't happen because the slider did not take effect until it had been moved to the point matching the current value. So if the current value was 120, and the slider was at 50, nothing happened until the slider was moved to 120. I used to think of this as 'picking up the setting on the way past'.

But I don't know if Genos sliders work this way as well.

So after all that - if you assign the tempo to a slider, rather than a knob, does it behave more like you want it to?

Genos

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 03:51:51 PM »
DerekA, I didn't know that. Thanks for chiming in.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline sunny

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 08:35:02 AM »
I'm not beside my Genos just now so I can't try this, but ...

I think this is happening because the knob is not starting at the same "position" as the current tempo. For example, the current tempo may be 120 but the knob is sitting at a position which means 50, because that's where it was left the last time it was used. So as soon as you move the knob to say 51 then the tempo jumps there.

On Tyros 5 sliders, this behaviour didn't happen because the slider did not take effect until it had been moved to the point matching the current value. So if the current value was 120, and the slider was at 50, nothing happened until the slider was moved to 120. I used to think of this as 'picking up the setting on the way past'.

But I don't know if Genos sliders work this way as well.

So after all that - if you assign the tempo to a slider, rather than a knob, does it behave more like you want it to?

Yes, what you have stated is correct, when i try to change tempo speed at 120 suddenly the speed is either too fast or too slow, because the Tempo is  sitting at different speed. For me controlling Tempo speed with knob is more convenient than sliders or + or - buttons.
Is there any solution for this problem ?

Thanks,
Sunny
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:36:14 AM by sunny »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 11:42:43 AM »
Sunny,
On Genos the Home screen has Live Control features across the bottom including Tempo. (If not already present on your setup it can be added). If you touch that a reasonable size tempo screen with no time limit  pops up and you can immediately use the data wheel to alter tempo with no surprise changes.
It may be a convenient method for your needs.
John
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:08:43 PM by jwyvern »