Author Topic: How can I transmit the keyboard sound to an amp without cables  (Read 5793 times)

Offline adrianed

Hi folks,
Has anyone found a device to play the keyboard audio on their lounge audio system without the cables
It would need a sending unit plugged into the Keyboard speaker outlets or possibly the line out and a receiver plugged into the stereo input
I am looking for something like this so as to eliminate the need for running wires around the room
Adrian

Offline Toril S

Re: How can I transmit the keyboard sound to an amp without cables
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 09:25:52 PM »
Your problem with this is latency. The signal from your keyboard will take a little while to reach your speakers. This is troublesome when playing live. So stick to the cables, but do not trip over them😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline jdup

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 10:15:45 PM »
Toril, I respect your response, and you may be correct. But why can other instruments go wireless (i.e., guitars) successfully?

Jim D.
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)
Former Keyboard: PSR-S770

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 10:20:26 PM »
 You cannot use the most common wireless system, Bluetooth, because that has significant latency.
But there are some proprietary wireless systems that have no significant latency, because wireless mics and other instruments use them. The Boss WL system for example. Most of these systems are designed for guitar and bass players, but don’t see why it would not work for a keyboard. I am not sure how good the quality would be, but it might work quite well. I think the best way forward would be to talk with someone at a really good music/audio store and get advice.
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 10:46:55 PM »
Thanks Mike. I will talk to my music store. I have a pair of really good wireless speakers, but they are bluetooth. However, they have other options of connectivity too, so this is worth looking into! There are far too many wires (to trip over!) in my home!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

tobsboy

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 12:53:51 PM »
Maybe you could use the L/R audio channels of a video sender/receiver system. These seem to be going out of fashion, but there's still plenty about on EBAY, eg brand new Philex AV video sender system for £30. These use a 2.4Ghz wireless system so latency is not a problem.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 01:39:23 PM »
This would appear to do what you want and users seem to report no latency issues. A lot ratings would indicate many users with mostly good reviews and being it's Amazon, it can be returned if it doesn't do what you want. Would just need appropriate cables to make connections and be careful about the levels(volume) you send into the transmitter.
https://us.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transmitter-Streaming-Wirelessly-NY-GS10/dp/B00FB1NTP6/ref=dp_prsubs_3?pd_rd_i=B00FB1NTP6&th=1

I have one of these and I was going to suggest it as it works very well for my application, but it is illegal to use in the US and I suspect other countries.
https://sourcefmtransmitter.com/shop/sainsonic-ax-05b-fm-transmitter/

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 03:22:28 PM »
I have never used any of the guitar wireless systems, but the transmit/receive must be separately ‘tunable’ or already on separate frequencies since more than one guitarist could be using them simultaneously. So then it might be possible to transmit true stereo on the keyboard by using two such devices. Just a thought.
Mike

Offline adrianed

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 10:44:35 PM »
Thankyou Toril S
I hadn’t thought of the latency, there is always something That fouls up a good idea
Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 10:54:32 PM »
Thankyou Mike and MarkF
I will take a look at transmitters but I was hoping for a simple solution, I just thought there would be something like a plug in sender and a plug in receiver for audio without the need serious radio frequencies
Toril S has reminded me about latency
More research needed
Thankyou again
Adrian

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 12:47:43 AM »
Thankyou Mike and MarkF
I will take a look at transmitters but I was hoping for a simple solution, I just thought there would be something like a plug in sender and a plug in receiver for audio
Adrian
Adrian, that is exactly what all these devices are, a plug in transmitter and receiver. You can get external plug in Bluetooth transmitters and receivers but Bluetooth is an open international standard and you usually don’t need an external transmitter or receiver because the whole point of the open standard is that manufacturers can integrate these in their device to make it easy for consumers.  But that doesn’t mean the other systems are any more complicated. The trick with wireless transmission systems is to choose a wireless frequency to get the right balance of interference, distance and latency for that application. Bluetooth is designed for short distance applications where some latency is not a problem. Wireless mic or guitar wireless systems are designed for low latency and should work.
Mike

Offline tbaroghel

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 03:14:28 PM »
Hi,

I use this inexpensive thing from Thomann with my Guitar and did not have latency issues. Maybe worth a try with the psr. Let me know if that seems of interest.

https://www.thomann.de/fr/harley_benton_airborne_instrument.htm

Regards,

Thierry
Humbly returning to arrangers after many years, with a PSR-SX900

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 03:58:18 PM »
Here's a Youtube video of connecting up the Nyrius 5.8ghz transmitter/receiver set I linked previously. It would allow a stereo hookup with a dual 1/4"(6.3mm) TS to RCA cable from your keyboard to the transmitter and then a dual RCA to RCA from the receiver to your 'lounge audio system'. Pretty simple to setup. I kinda wonder on the PSR keyboards that still have a video out if this would also transmit the keyboards video(?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwcra3uy6lE

I'm intrigued enough by the distance this can work at to think about getting a one to use with a small mixer and a remote PA speaker, particularly since its latency is reportedly at zero.

A friend of mine has a wireless guitar setup (Xvive U2) using the units that plug into the guitar and the amp and they work very well. One thing to consider is most use rechargable batteries and would need to be removed from where they are installed to recharge them occasionally.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 04:42:15 PM by MarkF_48 »

Offline adrianed

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 11:06:01 PM »
Thanks Mike for that explanation
Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 11:15:16 PM »
Hi Thierry,
I could read some of it, I am not real good on French though
I notice that it is mono, perhaps I could use two for stereo if they didn’t interfere with each other.
They would be easy to handle
Worth thinking about thankyou
Adrian
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:18:48 PM by adrianed »

The following users thanked this post: YvonP

Offline tbaroghel

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 11:26:00 PM »
Adrian,
I guess you can get an English version on Thomann website.
You are right, this is mono but there are 4 channels to choose from, so you could use a pair on different settings, and also have them powered via usb without worrying about battery life.
I also bought an entry level wireless device set for a microphone from Thomann and I have a wireless mike on my SX900: one cable less, and also anyone can take the mike while I play and sing. Magic !

Thierry
Humbly returning to arrangers after many years, with a PSR-SX900

Offline adrianed

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 11:41:22 PM »
Thankyou Thierry for the extra information I Am interested in this one ,I just need time to mull it over, I am very cautious when buying things in case I buy wrong
Thankyou again
Adrian
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:43:17 PM by adrianed »

Offline adrianed

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 11:55:50 PM »
Thankyou  MarkF
This one looks interesting it does stereo and looks like it would do the job, a few things there on Utube that might work even though they are made for TV
The trick is to be right the first time when buying things we don’t want a box full of parts that don’t work
The one you mention would be my first to try,I need to read it again, I hope it doesn’t need batteries
Thankyou,
Adrian

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 12:37:42 AM »
Thankyou  MarkF
This one looks interesting it does stereo and looks like it would do the job, a few things there on Utube that might work even though they are made for TV
The trick is to be right the first time when buying things we don’t want a box full of parts that don’t work
The one you mention would be my first to try,I need to read it again, I hope it doesn’t need batteries
Thankyou,
Adrian
The transmitter and receiver each use an AC adapter that would plug into the wall..... no batteries.

The Amazon listing I linked is for the US. If you are in a different country I'm not sure of its availability.

If you can wait on your purchase, I'll let you know around Thursday how it works. I just ordered one  ;D

Offline adrianed

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 11:04:29 PM »
Thankyou MarkF
Yes I can wait, there is no hurry
Thankyou for your offer to advise me after you have purchased a unit for yourself , that is as good as it can get
Best regards
Adrian

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 06:24:41 PM »
Thankyou MarkF
Yes I can wait, there is no hurry
Thankyou for your offer to advise me after you have purchased a unit for yourself , that is as good as it can get
Best regards
Adrian
Well I received the Nyrius unit yesterday and after playing around with it for a while it's going back and I can't recommend this to you. It basically did work OK and music transmitted and received sounded good, but there was an underlying background hiss that could be heard when the music was not playing plus occasionally pops. I'm inclined to think some of this interference was from my wireless internet router which also has a dual frequency of 2.4/5.8ghz and/or the wireless phone sets I have through the house which also are at 5.8ghz.

The guitar units that tbaroghel suggested might be worth a try. I did find the Harley Benton's on the Thomann UK site and looking the 1 star reviews, some users were encountering interference issues from devices in the homes that also use the 2.4ghz frequency band ( wireless routers and phones also commonly use the 2.4ghz). If you should buy a pair of these just be sure there is an easy and free return policy if they don't work out. You'll likely need adapters 1/4"(6.3mm) to RCA to plug into your audio system(?)

Reviews rating 1........
https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_airborne_instrument_reviews.htm?sid=dffd4c8b7ea557f992eb0697973da1e6?rating=1

https://www.thomann.de/fr/harley_benton_airborne_instrument.htm

Offline adrianed

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 01:09:32 AM »
Hi Mark F
Thankyou for the Rundown on the Nyius unit
I am sorry it didn't suit the job due to interference We all have wireless modums & routers now, Perhaps they should consider this when they design hardware with better screening
Its pity we have to go to the trouble of getting them home to try them
Best Regards,
Adrian