Author Topic: How to setup a user playlist on the SX600?  (Read 8226 times)

Offline Dnj

How to setup a user playlist on the SX600?
« on: April 10, 2021, 05:47:56 PM »
HOW TO SETUP A USER PLAYLIST ON SX600? 
CAN ANYONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE PROCESS?
OR Is there a video Tutorial on How to setup a user playlist anywhere I can see it done?
a simple step by step procedure is what I am looking for besides the manual.. amazing how difficult this is to find.
I want to create a user playlist with about 100 of my songs etc, ..
Reading it or seeing it done on video makes a big difference in learning the process..
Thank you for any help with this please.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 02:24:55 PM by Dnj »

Offline Dnj

janamdo I could be the right tool for someone who needs the charts music lyric etc, using an iPad, ...
but all I want to know is how to create a USER Playlist on the SX600.?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:06:19 PM by Dnj »

janamdo

I own also a sx 6oo and i remember it is not that easy to make a playlist
Its about registration memory ..if you add this record add your playlist ..you get a playlist

A playlist is a serie of registration memory records what can be saved as a playlist

note: perhaps this is complicated making a playlist with the sx600 and much easier with the sx 700/900/tyros   ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:25:13 PM by janamdo »

Offline ckobu

@Dnj - Watch this video, it was shot on Genos but the principle is the same on the PSR SX600. (eng subtitle)
As @janamdo said - "A playlist is a serie of registration memory records what can be saved as a playlist"
that's the point and you need to create a Registration Bank first.

https://youtu.be/rxnn8LA6Vao

Offline Dnj

"A playlist is a series of registration memory records what can be saved as a playlist"
that's the point and you need to create a Registration Bank first.
https://youtu.be/rxnn8LA6Vao

ckobo........Thank you for your reply. I will look at this video.
The fact that a Playlist can only be created from a "Registration banks" is what is confusing.
I have been using Yamaha arrangers for years so i know the reg saving process very well.....
these newer models we a bit unclear.
Please follow me ....Let's just say I setup a REG folder called "MY SONGS"
then I setup and save 50 songs of all genres etcm,,...and save them all in the "MY SONGS REG FOLDER"
Now I follow the step by step procedure to create a playlist using "ALL 50 SONGS IN THE MY SONGS REG FOLDER"
It seems only the REG Folders are put in the Playlist first....
then you open the REG Folder within the list to see the songs? is that right?
this is what is confusing? Once done I now have a playlist of 50 songs I can scroll through to select and play.
Also will they all be alphabetical in the list too?..or?

Anyone please confirm the above or correct me ..

Appreciate it

Thanx

This video shows the procedure to a point. But why doesn't Yamaha have an Official Tutorial
on how to use the playlist. I am sure I am not the only one confused by it workings on all SX models and Genos?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:08:51 PM by Dnj »

Offline ckobu

You need to understand the Yamaha playlist as a list of REGISTRATION BANKS.
Each Bank has one place on the Playlist.
If you want to automatically activate a song (one of your 50 tracks) at that point, you define it via the EDIT field. Watch that part from 05:10 seconds of my video.
When you watch the whole video it will be much clearer to you.

Offline Dnj

I also found this video explaining the Playlist @ 1:29 - 1:32

Thank you for your help...little by little I am starting to understand the Playlist workings..
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:22:06 PM by Dnj »

Offline ckobu

This video shows the procedure to a point. But why doesn't Yamaha have an Official Tutorial
on how to use the playlist. I am sure I am not the only one confused by it workings on all SX models and Genos?

Great. Now keep working and if something is not clear to you, feel free to ask.

Yes, Yamaha definitely has bad instructions and a lack of quality explanations on YouTube  :( . Fortunately, a large number of users have made many videos that are very helpful.

Offline Dnj

ckobu.......thanx for your help..
I am on my way to success with the playlist feature. :)
I appreciate you.

take care

janamdo

I was also battling with the playlist on SX600 at the begin and find it still complicated

Don't get a grip on it from the screens on the sx600 after not practising it for some months ago

It is only by carefuly studying the manual that you can decipher how it works or a good video
There was a point i did the handling of the playlist correct, but right now ..i must find it out again

Note: i don't know if this playlist handling is much easier on sx700/900? if yes then SX600 is not userfriendly
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:53:29 PM by janamdo »

Offline ton37

The only difference is that working with the touchscreen makes it a bit easier. I think the underlying technique of the playlists is the same.
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Dnj

The only difference is that working with the touchscreen makes it a bit easier. I think the underlying technique of the playlists is the same.

Ton37 as long as i can scroll and select songs rapidly I'm happy...
when I had my Genos, Sx900, Sx700 I always just used REG banks to select songs...
but this time with the SX600 I will try the playlist method.

Offline ton37

I was .............

Note: i don't know if this playlist handling is much easier on sx700/900? if yes then SX600 is not userfriendly
thanks DNJ, but I was referring to Janamdo's question.
My best regards,
Ton

Offline music by allen

Offline Dnj

DNJ,    Is this any help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sogxbIJw8A

Allen

Allen Thank you for the wonderful demo on the playlist.
Question:...After you select a song it turns green ready to go, and you start to play,....
can you go out of playlist to the main screen again and go back to the playlist screen easily with the touch of a button or?

Thanx

Offline overover

... can you go out of playlist to the main screen again and go back to the playlist screen easily with the touch of a button or? ...

Yes, to leave the Playlist display press [Exit] button, and to call up the Playlist display again press [Playlist] button.

Quote from page 88 of the PSR-SX600 Owner's Manual:

"Press the [PLAYLIST] button to call up the Playlist display.
The Playlist file which was selected the last time appears."

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Dnj

Chris once again thank you appreciate your help.

Offline Dnj

Hi everyone, ...
I'm still a bit confused on the Playlist feature...
please try to follow me & remember this is for the Yamaha SX600 which seems different then on the
SX700/Sx900/Genos?
I was successful in creating a Playlist using all my registration bank folders.
Now when I press the Playlist Button I see a list of all my REG banks folders on the Playlist.
I can now Scroll up or down using the wheel and then press ENTER to HIGHLIGHT my REG folder selection it turns Green...
On the bottom menu if I push INFO the Reg Folder OPENS UP showing ALL 8 songs in that folder but
I cannot scroll using the wheel to go down or up the list, you have to use the arrow buttons for that
am I correct so far or am I missing a step?
My next question is on the SX600 if I want to make a List of ALL MY SONGS IN ALL REG FOLDERS so I can scroll up or down do I have to put ALL my SONGS in ONE REG FOLDER so that when I open it in the Playlist I can scroll thru them ALL up or down? how is this possible if only 8 songs can be put in a REG Folder at one time?
I am trying to emulate the KORG songbook using the Sx600 Playlist feature if that's possible.. just one list of all songs to scroll thru.

confused :-[

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 08:48:59 PM by Dnj »

Offline Dnj

Dave....
all I want is ONE Playlist with ALL my songs on it to scroll though..is this possible?
also how many songs in a folder can the playlist show on the SX600 at this point I only see 8 songs on the list
what am I missing?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 01:41:30 PM by Dnj »

Offline Fred Smith

Dave....
all I want is ONE Playlist with ALL my songs on it to scroll though..is this possible?
also how many songs in a folder can the playlist show on the SX600 at this point I only see 8 songs on the list
what am I missing?

Why bother? Why not just scroll through the registrations?

Also, please don’t use "folder" when referring to registrations. It’s confusing. A folder is a collection of files, and can refer to any set of files.

What’s clearer is to say "button" when referring to one registration, and "bank" when referring to the set of 8.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Dnj

Why bother? Why not just scroll through the registrations?
Cheers,
Fred

Ok Fred, little by little I am realizing on the sX600 what I wanted to achieve using the playlist can not be done.
I guess I will have to use the Reg banks as I always have on all my Yamaha units thru the years to search for songs.
Hopefully in the future they will redesign it.   

PS: understood on the "folder reference"

thanx

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:29:58 PM by Dnj »

janamdo

Re: How to setup a user playlist on the SX600?
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 05:51:57 PM »
Yeah , the playlist feature of the SX600  ;D
There are some preset and you can only make a playlist on user disk from keyboard or on USB

A playlist is a list of registrations
A full registration memory slots  is a bank 

Make all your tweaks on the keyboard and store this in a memory slot via the memory button
Together - and +  for the registrations two buttons gives a list

I must also practice again with this feature of the "playlist"

Offline Dnj

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 09:02:06 PM »
Muddy on the sx600 I have followed your instruction with success to a point ...I was able to add ALL reg banks to Playlist..
I can scroll down or up the list ..select what reg bank I want and press Enter it turns Green...
but there is no way to see what songs are in the reg bank without the extra step of pushing INFO on the bottom of display
you can only put 8 songs in each bank..there is no way to put the ALL songs in one bank? what am I missing?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 09:44:50 PM »
Muddy on the sx600 I have followed your instruction with success to a point ...I was able to add ALL reg banks to Playlist..
I can scroll down or up the list ..select what reg bank I want and press Enter it turns Green...
but there is no way to see what songs are in the reg bank without the extra step of pushing INFO on the bottom of display
you can only put 8 songs in each bank..there is no way to put the ALL songs in one bank? what am I missing?

What does "ALL songs in one bank" mean? Do you mean all songs from one bank?

If so, you can easily do this in playlists.

If you have more than one song in a bank, just specify the button number you want the playlist entry to activate.

For example,
-- Jailhouse Rock, Reg bank Elvis01, Button 1
-- Don't be Cruel, Reg bank Elvis01, Button 2
-- Return to Sender, Reg bank Elvis01, Button 3

Etc.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Dnj

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 02:46:11 PM »
What does "ALL songs in one bank" mean? Do you mean all songs from one bank?

If so, you can easily do this in playlists.

If you have more than one song in a bank, just specify the button number you want the playlist entry to activate.

For example,
-- Jailhouse Rock, Reg bank Elvis01, Button 1
-- Don't be Cruel, Reg bank Elvis01, Button 2
-- Return to Sender, Reg bank Elvis01, Button 3

Etc.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred thanx for trying to help....I'll explain again what I want to do on the SX600 ...

I have Reg banks with 8 songs in each one...
let's say they are named ..Big band, Latin, Pop, Swing, Etc...
Now I can put each one of these banks into the Playlist...
when you push Playlist you will see a list of all the Reg Banks,..Big band, Latin, Pop, Swing, Etc...
You can scroll down the list using the wheel and to select a song within a Bank you have to push Enter
& then push Info to see the songs that are in the bank selected
you can only see 8 songs inside because that is all the bank can hold.
I want to be able to see All my songs in ONE LIST to scroll thru...
I like Muddys approach in saving One Song PER BANK & using the reg buttons for my favorite sounds on each song....this will allow me to load as many Banks of songs (1 song each)
to the playlist
and scroll thru and select each as needed without going thru what I said above (scroll,enter,info,etc)...
I hope I am making sense?

Offline dtah80

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 08:25:12 PM »
Fred thanx for trying to help....I'll explain again what I want to do on the SX600 ...

I have Reg banks with 8 songs in each one...
let's say they are named ..Big band, Latin, Pop, Swing, Etc...
Now I can put each one of these banks into the Playlist...
when you push Playlist you will see a list of all the Reg Banks,..Big band, Latin, Pop, Swing, Etc...
You can scroll down the list using the wheel and to select a song within a Bank you have to push Enter
& then push Info to see the songs that are in the bank selected
you can only see 8 songs inside because that is all the bank can hold.
I want to be able to see All my songs in ONE LIST to scroll thru...
I like Muddys approach in saving One Song PER BANK & using the reg buttons for my favorite sounds on each song....this will allow me to load as many Banks of songs (1 song each)
to the playlist
and scroll thru and select each as needed without going thru what I said above (scroll,enter,info,etc)...
I hope I am making sense?

Dnj, I've been using the same method like Muddy's by saving one song / bank. When I create the play list I name it after an event such as New Year 2021 (or July 4 2021) and then I just select and add the songs I want to play into that play list. I have several Playlists I use through out the years. It works great this way, or at least for me.

Have fun and take care,

David
David
Genos, PSR-740, MOXF6

janamdo

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2021, 06:43:57 PM »
Mobilsheets songbooks is the best way, because there is score connected with a attached style, so you can play from the score. 
The PSR 600 has a preset memory ansd a user memory and this user memory can be  loaded with a to make master list from registrations.   

I am wondering if there is quick way to load a existing masterlist from usb stick into usermemory ?
Once the usermemory is filled with data it stays filled i think, till you erase it 

Offline overover

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2021, 07:42:48 PM »
Mobilsheets songbooks is the best way, because there is score connected with a attached style, so you can play from the score. 
The PSR 600 has a preset memory ansd a user memory and this user memory can be  loaded with a to make master list from registrations.   

I am wondering if there is quick way to load a existing masterlist from usb stick into usermemory ?
Once the usermemory is filled with data it stays filled i think, till you erase it

Hi Jan,

you don't have to "copy/load anything from the USB stick to the internal user memory". You can do everything directly on or from the USB stick if desired.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:48:29 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)