Author Topic: PSR S650 compatibility question  (Read 1679 times)

Offline JanT

PSR S650 compatibility question
« on: May 08, 2023, 10:53:30 AM »
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if I put my USB with registrations from a PSR S650 into a 750 or 950 , would this work?
Also, how about the 670/770 range?
I’m really struggling having purchased an SX600 and feel I might have to sell it and go back to my trusted 650 or equivalent.
I really appreciate all the help from the lovely people on this forum.
Thank you 😊

Offline Fred Smith

Re: PSR S650 compatibility question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 11:14:00 AM »
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if I put my USB with registrations from a PSR S650 into a 750 or 950 , would this work?
I’m really struggling having purchased an SX600 and feel I might have to sell it and go back to my trusted 650 or equivalent.
Thank you 😊

Registrations are not directly readable by other keyboards. You can, however, convert them using Murray Best's Registration Manager program.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: JanT

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 11:27:20 AM »
Don't give up too easily. These new SX range are fabulous keyboards, but there is quite a learning curve, as there is with any new keyboard.
There's plenty of Registration files right here on the site.
Enjoy your new instrument, and make new music.
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 01:47:57 PM »
Hi,
Thank you 😊

Hi Jan,

The S650 has a completely different (now obsolete) registration format (only a maximum of 8 Banks of 8 registrations each, which can only be saved together as a .usr file). On the other hand, with all newer/larger models you can have an unlimited number of registration banks, since each Bank is saved as a separate file (.rgt).

S650 registrations are also not compatible with Murray Best's Yamaha Registration Manager (YRM) mentioned by Fred, so cannot be converted to the .rgt format for newer models.

I strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the current registration format (e.g. by reading the SX600 manuals). It offers many advantages over the old S650 format. It's not harder or more awkward to understand, just a little different than it used to be (easier and better).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 02:02:45 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 02:25:06 PM »
If you go back to the post you made about registrations, you'll see that I left you a link post to the Yamaha download page where you can get the Manuals for your new keyboard.

You REALLY need to download, read and understand these, because this is a very different and hugely more advanced keyboard to your old one.
As the manuals are free, it makes sense to have them to answer many of your questions.

Keith.

Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner