Author Topic: Internet connection?  (Read 992 times)

Offline Disposable

Internet connection?
« on: September 16, 2023, 10:37:10 AM »
I have read the T2 manual regarding connection to the Internet, but it is very outdated and does not give clear instructions. So I have a couple of questions  - Is there any advantage in even bothering to try and connect with such an old instrument? And is it even possible with todays computer routers? ;)
Any advice would be useful.
Tyros 2, Nektar Impact LX25+, Orion Platinum, Samplitude Music Studio, Various VST instruments, Reaper, Goldwave and good old XG Works

I play the music, but the Cat plays the strings.

Offline Divemaster

Re: Internet connection?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 11:58:51 AM »
Bearing in mind that the Tyros 2 model was introduced in 2005, and also that the software at that time was Windows 2000, XP and maybe 98, I wouldn't pin my hope on anything too adventurous.

That said, there will be T2's out there that will be cheap and if only used at home, probably in goodish condition.
My advice would be to use modern thumb drives and transfer and use data using those memory options. Far more reliable. Connecting to the Internet should be possible, but remember that current software is unlikely to reflect great compatibility with a keyboard of this age.
The hard drives in the T2 are just bog standard laptop 2.5"drives, so you can load plenty onto them. They are also really easy to get to. just by removing the 8 screw cover and releasing the from the mounting cradle. 15 minute job.

My best advice to you, is to open and shut the tilting display as little as possible. I used to leave mine up all the time.
Over time, the ribbon cable that brings data to those displays become brittle, and then fail.

Enjoy it, experiment with it, but after 18 years don't expect miracles.

Keith.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 11:59:54 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Disposable

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 03:18:39 PM »
Thank you Drivemaster! But I was asking for advice specific to Internet connection on the Y2 and whether it was worth trying to connect (eg: the benefits of doing so). I have owned a perfect example of a T2 for some time, and I know almost all I need to know about it's workings and use the T2 with a 250 gig internal hard drive without any problems, but all I need to know is  if there is any benefit from connecting to the Internet or not?
Tyros 2, Nektar Impact LX25+, Orion Platinum, Samplitude Music Studio, Various VST instruments, Reaper, Goldwave and good old XG Works

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 08:01:11 AM »
In fairness, you didn't explain to us that you'd had your Tyros 2 for so long! I'd assumed that you'd recently acquired it.
Having had it for a long time, you will know that virtually all software these days has been written for up to date Windows 64 bit systems, so unless you want to run older software, then I can't see any advantage.
Modern day routers aren't the issue, as in the days of Tyros 2 pretty well everything reached us via phone line modems. Routers just do the job much faster. I still have both new and old computers running different versions of Windows, but I wouldn't EVER connect the earlier one running dual W'98 and W2000 to the Internet.
All my W10 pc's are on an ethernet hub direct from the router. It's so much more reilable than wifi.

To give you a comprehensive answer.... What is it that you want to do, that you can't do already?

Personally I can see very little point. Others may disagree.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 08:24:56 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 08:22:31 AM »
I have read the T2 manual regarding connection to the Internet, but it is very outdated and does not give clear instructions. So I have a couple of questions  - Is there any advantage in even bothering to try and connect with such an old instrument? And is it even possible with todays computer routers? ;)
Any advice would be useful.

Hi Disposable,

The short answer is: The "Internet Direct Connection" (IDC) feature of older Yamaha arranger models like the Tyros2 is useless these days because the special websites required for it (for downloading payed software and free music finder setups) were discontinued by Yamaha years ago

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Disposable

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 01:28:10 PM »
My thanks to both of you!. That is exactly what I needed to know! I assumed it would be a waste of time as the T2 is an older Arranger model it probably would not be supported, but it's always good to check first! :)

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster