Author Topic: Recording on SX900  (Read 2168 times)

Offline faddario

Recording on SX900
« on: April 07, 2021, 09:23:53 PM »
I have some very good midi files and also some mp3 files in my sx900. I would like to play along with these files and record everything. I can't figure out how to do that.
Can anyone help? Is it possible?
Thanks
Frank

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Recording on SX900
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 09:25:57 PM »
I have some very good midi files and also some mp3 files in my sx900. I would like to play along with these files and record everything. I can't figure out how to do that.
Thanks
Frank

You can play along and record in audio, but you cannot record in midi.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline hans1966

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 09:45:38 PM »
Hi faddario, if I understand correctly, you can play both MIDI and MP3 on your sx900.

Simply select the desired file (MIDI / MP3) and load it into the player, then choose a sound or several of your preference in any of the voice folders, so that you can play along while playing the file, (you can play three simultaneously, R1, R2, R3) or if you have voices configured that you have saved in registration memory, you can also use them.

remember to adjust the vulumens of both the file and the voices.

You can also load both files (MIDI / AUDIO) and you can use crossfade, so that when you finish playing one song, the other begins next.

as for synchronizing the two files (MIDI / MP3) I don't know. I have not explored that part yet, but surely there are friends here in the forum who have more experience in this matter and they can surely help you.

As Fred said, you can NOT record everything (MIDI / MP3) as MIDI, but neither can (MIDI / MP3) as WAV / MP3 audio, within the keyboard.

For this you need external software like Audacity

I hope you find it useful.

regards

Hans
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:04:21 PM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 09:50:06 PM »
Hi faddario, if I understand correctly, you can play both MIDI and MP3 on your sx900.

Simply select the desired file (MIDI / MP3) and load it into the player, then choose a sound or several of your preference in any of the voice folders, so that you can play along while playing the file, (you can play three simultaneously, R1, R2, R3) or if you have voices configured that you have saved in registration memory, you can also use them.

You can also load both files (MIDI / AUDIO) and you can use crossfade, so that when you finish playing one song, the other begins next.

as for synchronizing the two files (MIDI / MP3) I don't know. I have not explored that part yet, but surely there are friends here in the forum who have more experience in this matter and they can surely help you.

All valid points, Hans, but you didn’t answer his question, where he wants record while he’s playing along.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 10:09:50 PM »

As Fred said, you can NOT record everything (MIDI / MP3) as MIDI, but neither can (MIDI / MP3) as WAV / MP3 audio, within the keyboard.

For this you need external software like Audacity

regards

Hans

Hi Fred, I just edited my post.

It is definitely not possible to record simultaneously in both directions.

only with external software Audacity or other.

Greetings.

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 11:27:24 PM »
Thanks
Frank

Hi Frank,

as already mentioned by Fred, you can play "over" a MIDI file (and also sing along if you want) and record all of this with the SX900's Audio recorder.

The SX900 manuals do not seem to mention whether or not the AUX IN signal can be recorded by the internal Audio recorder. But I guess it is possible. In order to play "over" an MP3 file and also record everything, you could try the following:

Play the MP3 file with an external player (e.g. with a smartphone, MP3 player or on the computer). You connect the playback device to the AUX IN socket of the SX900 (using a 3.5 mm stereo jack plug), or use a Bluetooth Audio connection. On the external player, you turn up the volume relatively high (or even completely). You set the AUX IN volume in the Mixer display of the SX900 (Panel tab, page 2) to match the keyboard parts (which you play yourself). With the internal Audio recorder you now should be able to record all of this as well.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:29:32 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)