Author Topic: 32 Gig flash drive not responding PSR-S770.  (Read 6410 times)

32 Gig flash drive not responding PSR-S770.
« on: March 31, 2021, 08:56:44 AM »
Hi Everyone I need some advise. I just bought a 32 gig Flash/Penn Drive. And I insert it at first it worked ok Copied files from Keyboard to usb. I had a bunch or other files on another flash drive 4 Gig that I copied to my new flash drive. It was 3.78 gigs worth of audio files styles and midi. etc. The 4 gig drive workes fine with everything on it but the 32 gig is takeing forever to respond Im courious is there a storege limit for flash drives in yamaha keyboards. any advise I appericciate.

Offline Toril S

Re: 32 Gig flash drive not responding PSR-S770.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 10:04:26 AM »
Did you first format the stick on the keyboard? The format has to be FAT32.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 11:45:29 AM »
No I didn’t because I thought that it didn’t have to since it worked the first time my computer always reads it fine but the keyboard only read it without anything one it and a few files I copied from the keyboard . Bit it’s after I did copy 3.78 gigabytes from my other 4 gigabytes drive

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 01:15:48 PM »
I do not think there is a storage limit, but it may be that your new pen drive is slower than your old one, so when you have many files on it it will take time to call up the files. I would try another stick. The ones from Kingston are reliable.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 01:33:57 PM »
I use 32Gb USB on my SX900. Always format them first on Keyboard as recommended by Yamaha. I don't have any trouble selecting and loading into my keyboard. I Use Verbatim Store-N-Go.

Offline Karlos

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 03:27:04 PM »
Maybe your new 32Gb flash drive could be fake, especially if you bought it from Ebay, Wish or Gearbest etc.

What happens when you reconnect the flash drive back into your computer?

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 06:17:55 AM »
I got it at Dollar General. I think it might have to be formatted as fat32 but i guess and thought it was already formatted as is from the manufacture.

Offline Karlos

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 09:31:39 AM »
I would format it in the keyboard to be sure,  then put it in your computer and copy the files from the 4gb drive to this new drive.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 08:41:37 PM »
Do *not* format the stick on the keyboard. Weirdly, that often makes the stick unreadable anywhere else.

All sticks are default Fat32 from the manufacturer, correct. (or Fat16 for older 2GB and smaller sticks); you'd have to format on a pc to get other formats. It could be slow because it's not USB 3.0; the difference in speed between a slow and fast usb stick is astounding (I've seen 125kb/s write speeed vs 30mB/s). There is a list of Yamaha approved USB sticks, but speed isn't a requirement, just that it works. The fast ones are almost always brand names like Sandisk, Kingston, Sony, Transcend, etc. The ones you get from a dollar store are generally really slow, and data unstable (will tend to corrupt eventually, and almost right away once you're past around 90% full)

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/1279924/en-PSR-SX900.pdf

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 10:31:04 PM »
We all know that Yamaha instruct us to always format USB on the keyboard. We buy them to use on the keyboard and can still use them to download content from Yamaha via computer to keyboard.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 02:54:39 AM »
so i guess it might be a slow stick or so

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 05:18:08 AM »
Do *not* format the stick on the keyboard. Weirdly, that often makes the stick unreadable anywhere else.

This is not correct. Always format the sticks on the keyboard. If they can’t be read "anywhere else", it’s the anywhere else that’s the problem, not the keyboard.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 05:21:43 AM »
Hi Everyone I need some advise. I just bought a 32 gig Flash/Penn Drive. And I insert it at first it worked ok Copied files from Keyboard to usb. I had a bunch or other files on another flash drive 4 Gig that I copied to my new flash drive. It was 3.78 gigs worth of audio files styles and midi. etc. The 4 gig drive workes fine with everything on it but the 32 gig is takeing forever to respond Im courious is there a storege limit for flash drives in yamaha keyboards. any advise I appericciate.

There’s no storage limit that anyone has found. The problem may be the number of files you have in a folder. If you approach the keyboard's limit (500), it can take a while to find files within.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline adrianed

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 10:13:14 PM »
I have never formatted a USB on the keyboard, mostly I don’t format them at all but just use them as they come from new
Also I have never at any time had any problem with them on my keyboard T2 or T5
Perhaps having said that I shall now have trouble with all of them, you know Murphy’s law.
Sometimes I have used format on my computer to delete contents of a USB because it is quicker than using delete, I have sometimes wondered if this wrong but not yet had any problems
Adrian
Happy Easter Folks
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 10:25:26 PM by adrianed »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2021, 12:16:56 AM »
I'm talking from personal experience, across multiple customers USB sticks, and multiple models and brands.

Formatting a USB stick (quick format on PC) is totally fine, yes, but on a Mac it can cause read issues. Also USB sticks with split drives, like the windows 2000 / ME standard also have issues; they show up on Yamaha OS as "This USB is unformatted" when in fact, it already is.

There *was* a size limit; the Fat16 Yamaha's like PSR3000 and CVP309 could only ready USB drives up to 2GB (there were later OS updates to allow Fat 32). The current Fat32, I don't know what the size limit of the USB is, only that the largest file is 4GB. I posted the list because I've encountered issues with 32,64 and 128GB usb sticks. I carry around a 128GB, and the PSRsx600 doesn't recognize it at all, and the CVP709 stalled when saving on it, but I've had absolutely no issues on any other board / brand.

But when I say formatting a stick on an instrument can cause issues, I'm speaking from (thousands) of customers' experience. For example, had a customer format a stick on a Tyros, turned out his Korg PA1000 could no longer read it. Things like that. And likewise, *some* flash drives work anywhere. One of the weirdest ones was Roland's TD15 drum kit; My USB stick worked on some but not all, we formatted another stick on one of the TD15's that *wouldn't* read my master stick, and it was no longer readable on the other TD15's that originally *did* read, but fortunately the PC could still read it. I've also had one formatted on a CVP709 that read on the 709 and all Yamaha keyboards, but wouldn't read on my PC at work (but it worked on the one at home).

That doesn't mean it guarantees it will no longer work on another instrument. But I've literally had dozens of customers who did format on an instrument, only to have it no longer read on another brand's, so I told them to purchase a new usb stick, and *not* format it anywhere, and that worked. It's fun to try the same midi files on a PA50, PA1000, and Tyros 5 for example to see what sounds best where!

My 32GB Kingston does read on the sx600, so I use that to port files onto the master 128GB Sandisk. I used to have a 64GB Kingston master USB (with OS updates, files etc for everything from Yamaha, Roland, Korg etc), but I pushed my luck on the data cascade issue (most USB sticks will corrupt once you pass a high percantage of used space) and it died completely.

This is across multiple sticks from approx 7000 customers and multiple work computers, I myself actually have about 40 USB sticks, including 3 Fat16's just in case I need to pull data from an old trade in keyboard.

If you check my YouTube channel, you'll see I film at work amongst dozens of models :)
And the reason I've never posted a Korg or Roland video? I *need* registrations!

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 01:03:42 AM »
Oh Ok Good to know.

Offline andyg

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 11:12:59 PM »
FWIW, I'm also a 'non-formatter'. A new stick will be FAT32 and there is no logical reason why that will not work on your keyboard, of any make. My sticks also have to work across various makes, porting styles and registrations from one Yamaha to another, but also porting audio and MIDI files between, say, my Roland organ, my Yamaha keyboard and a student's Korg.

My first Yamahas with USB were a PSR3000 and a Clavinova CVP of the same era, loaned to me for long term review. Since that time I can honestly say that I have never formatted a USB stick on any subsequent Yamahas that have been here chez moi.

If you're only using them with one keyboard or one make, then fine, go ahead and do what Yamaha suggest if you like. But if your needs are like mine, then think twice!

As for Macs, they're a law unto themselves and I wouldn't have another one if you paid me, so I can't comment on how they'll work with sticks formatted on the keyboard or vice versa.

It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Toril S

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 11:48:58 PM »
My theory is that Yamaha asks us to format the sticks to ensure that they are FAT32.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:48:26 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline alanclare

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 08:26:32 AM »
FWIW, I'm also a 'non-formatter'. A new stick will be FAT32 and there is no logical reason why that will not work on your keyboard, of any make. My sticks also have to work across various makes, porting styles and registrations from one Yamaha to another, but also porting audio and MIDI files between, say, my Roland organ, my Yamaha keyboard and a student's Korg.

My first Yamahas with USB were a PSR3000 and a Clavinova CVP of the same era, loaned to me for long term review. Since that time I can honestly say that I have never formatted a USB stick on any subsequent Yamahas that have been here chez moi.

If you're only using them with one keyboard or one make, then fine, go ahead and do what Yamaha suggest if you like. But if your needs are like mine, then think twice!

As for Macs, they're a law unto themselves and I wouldn't have another one if you paid me, so I can't comment on how they'll work with sticks formatted on the keyboard or vice versa.

My sentiments exactly.

Alan

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 03:50:27 PM »
I used more than 1000 USB Sticks in the past for customers ...

Simple thing is: Use memory built for the device configured ...

So for Yamaha Keyboards: USB 2.0

I recommend Sticks with max 8-16 GB (most Users didn't use more than 3-4 gigs in here lifetime with styles, midis, Regs, Multipads.)

WITH LED so you can see if the memory write/load is in progress  .. if NOT flashing .. just pull it out . otherwise - as on EVERY System in the world, you get corrupt datas ..

Except People using keyboards as Wav Player ... THEY need more memory but also USB 2.0 is fine enough ...

I never formatted a Stick last 15? years ...

If  stick "rumors" .. I break him in 2 parts and throw him away ... if system says " there is a error .." I do the same.. it is best take a new one, copy your backup on .. and fine  (takes 5 minutes)

Also structure of sticks .. never more than 50-60 files  in one folder , so I can select with 4 buttons out of 1000 files ....

AND deepness .. (important for GENOS & SX)   if structure is to deep and to much files, you loose performance ...
So the keys are indexing ... AND in the moment they do, you can't make some things!!! (like audio cdg ... !) and/or you get errors,..

greeting from germany
frank

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 04:53:07 PM by frankmusik »
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Offline Toril S

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 11:21:19 PM »
Thanks Frank! But now you have installed a picture in my head of you breaking a USB stick in two😀😀😀 Some of them are really hard to break😀 I think your advice is good. I tend to have far too many files on the sticks, and that can make problems.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 11:32:58 PM »
O ok good to know.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2021, 06:16:28 PM »

Exactly, same here. My USB sticks need to be read across Mac, PC, PSR, CVP, Korg PA, Casio, Roland and Yamaha drums.
Macs are little endian, everything else is big endian (smallest byte first vs largest byte 1st) which just adds to the 'fun'.
But they *can* read from sticks right out of the box.

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »
Ok Cool 😎

Offline alanclare

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2021, 07:43:33 AM »
I use 32Gb USB on my SX900. Always format them first on Keyboard as recommended by Yamaha. I don't have any trouble selecting and loading into my keyboard. I Use Verbatim Store-N-Go.

Eileen

Was there a particular reason for choosing the Verbatim drives?

Alan

Offline EileenL

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2021, 01:13:19 PM »
Yes Alan,
  When recording Audio to a USB stick it needs to be fast reading and Verbatim never give any problems with this. Plus I like the mini size sticks because they fit nice and flat to the back of the keyboard so no fear of knocking them.

The following users thanked this post: alanclare

Offline alanclare

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2021, 06:28:49 AM »
Thanks Eileen. I’ve put a couple on my instrument, formatted them, and copied their predecessors on to them, using the laptop.

Alan