Author Topic: Installing Expansion Packs  (Read 5161 times)

Offline johnzutzbg

Installing Expansion Packs
« on: April 04, 2021, 09:28:07 PM »
Hi Everyone,

So I downloaded some free packs from Yamaha, and ran them through the YEM to create the install file.

It says that that the instrument will be reformatted when I install.

1) Will I lose my saved registrations?
2) Will the GENOS revert back to original software? ie. lose chord looper and style reset upgrades?

Thanks!

Offline overover

Re: Installing Expansion Packs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 10:08:15 PM »
Hi John,

only the Expansion Memory (where the Wave data of the installed Expansion Voices is stored) will be formatted when you install a Pack Install file (.cpi or .ppi). So your User data stored in the User drive or on USB stick (e.g. Registrations, Styles, MIDI Files, Multi Pads, User Voices, User defined System settings) will NOT be affected when installing Expansion data.

In short: You will NOT loose any data in this case (except the previous installed Expansion data).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:23:20 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline torben

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 03:10:53 PM »
OK - but I just upgraded fro YEM 2.6.0 to YEM 2.8.0

If I download a new package and want to install it can I do that separately - without any formatting of the HD on my Genos - just add the new package?
Do I even need YEM - or can I go directly to my Genos and install the new sounds/styles etc.?

Kind regards

Torben
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !

Offline Stijn

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 06:27:03 PM »
Hi Torben,

Yes you can ADD packs, but you need to use YEM for it.
The previously installed packs should still be present in YEM and they must remain checked. If you UNCHECK some packs then they will be removed!
When saving the pack to a USB drive, choose the option "Save As Pack Quick Installation’ (*.cqi)".

It may happen that your Genos shows a message that the 'quick install pack' cannot be installed. In that case you should use YEM and choose "Save as Pack Installation File (*.cpi")

There are some problems with YEM 2.8.0, so you should uninstall it. Download and install version 2.7.0 in stead.

Stijn
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:30:18 PM by Stijn »
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: torben

Offline alans

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 08:29:31 PM »
I've just downloaded two free expansion packs today and loaded them to my Genos, as Stijn has said,I had to load to USB as cpi files ,my Genos would not accept cqi files,and yes ,I have recently downloaded the latest YEM (v2.8 )  to my laptop
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 08:39:00 PM »
... and yes ,I have recently downloaded the latest YEM (v2.8 )  to my laptop

Hi alans,

I recommend to downgrade to YEM V2.7.0 again, as V2.8.0 is still buggy. (Among other things, V2.8.0 is very slow, and the Genos Superior Pack can't be installed properly with this version.)

At the moment, V2.8.0 is only needed for the new PSR-A5000.

Note: If you create your own Packs in YEM V2.8.0, these Packs will NOT be compatible with older YEM versions!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:47:07 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: alans

Offline alans

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 08:41:34 PM »
Thanks Chris

Will do
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

gromgrom

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 08:03:06 PM »
If I have a premium packages on my Genos, I don't know there already add your packages that I have created because they don't know them in Yem I can't export them to the CQI PQI file only to PPI, CPI, which means format memory.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 11:27:39 PM »
You need PPF files or CPF files to load into YEM.

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 09:00:09 AM »
If I have a premium packages on my Genos, I don't know there already add your packages that I have created because they don't know them in Yem I can't export them to the CQI PQI file only to PPI, CPI, which means format memory.

Hi gromgrom,

first of all, welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum!

Regarding Expansion Packs:
It is important that all Packs that you want to have on the keyboard are in the YEM. If you also want to install a new Pack, import it into the YEM as well and make sure that ALL Packs (i.e. including those previously installed) are selected in the YEM (light green ticks in the Pack symbols). If the contents of the YEM matched the Packs currently installed on the keyboard before importing the new Pack, you can now perform a Quick installation by creating a Pack Quick Install file and installing it on the keyboard (.CQI if at least one protected .CPF Pack is involved, or .PQI if no Protected Pack is involved).

If a message appears on the keyboard that a Quick installation is not possible, the installed Expansion content on the keyboard no longer matches the YEM. In this case you have to create a Full Pack Install file in YEM (.CPI or .PPI) and thus completely reinstall ALL Packs.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:08:44 AM by overover »