Author Topic: Genos 2  (Read 21222 times)

Offline guitpic1

Genos 2
« on: April 01, 2021, 06:11:48 PM »
I’m starting to see posts on Facebook re: Genos 2

Real?  Fake?

April Fools?

I’m not talking about V2.0 OS.  This was a video clip from Europe.

😊
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:30:40 PM by guitpic1 »
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Genos 2
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 07:49:32 PM »
Probably fake  ;D
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 09:01:16 PM »

Real?  Fake?

April Fools?

Most likely a Real April Fool. 😁🎵🎹
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 10:32:20 PM »
False as usual.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 08:30:40 AM »
Thx All
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 10:27:53 AM »
What person thinks  this is important enough to enough spend time making fake pictures and posting them? Unless you are a dealer, how many people actually care about knowing ahead of time what a keyboard might look like??

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 03:38:21 PM »
Many strange hobbies out there😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 10:44:40 PM »
Put those handcuffs away Toril ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 10:46:30 PM »
😀😀😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

tyrosman

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 10:56:27 AM »
very fake

Bachus

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 08:03:52 PM »
2025 at earliest..

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 04:33:39 PM »

Real?  Fake?

April Fools?

I’m not talking about V2.0 OS.  This was a video clip from Europe.

😊
I'm guessing it will come out sometime soon. There are quite a few voices on the SX900 that aren't on the Genos, even with the Superior Pack, such as the SixtiesGuitar, HalfWahLead and the Vibes&JazzGuitar.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 04:48:17 PM »
I'm guessing it will come out sometime soon. There are quite a few voices on the SX900 that aren't on the Genos, even with the Superior Pack, such as the SixtiesGuitar, HalfWahLead and the Vibes&JazzGuitar.

I'm in between you and Bachus. I say 2023 for Genos 2. Hopefully the "2" means it will support midi 2.0.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 12:17:18 AM »
I hope that whenever it does come out, there will be more Revo!drums/SFX. The Genos 1 has 7 Revo!Drums and 3 Revo!SFX, while the PSR-A5000 has 20 Revo!SFX. I understand that the A5000 is focused on world content, but I was surprised that it has more Revo!SFX than even the flagship Genos.

Bachus

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 07:23:01 AM »
I'm in between you and Bachus. I say 2023 for Genos 2. Hopefully the "2" means it will support midi 2.0.

Cheers,
Fred

There is no indication Yamaha will support the midi 2.0 ,  its mostly a Roland thing.

Offline danand

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 10:40:35 AM »
I say 2023 for Genos 2
Hey... they don't create a spaceship in order to travel to Mars!!!!
4 year are more than enough...
It is quite probably to see the new version before Christmas (Nov 2021)
My 2 cents in any case, I don't have "inside" information.

Bachus

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2021, 08:00:09 PM »
Hey... they don't create a spaceship in order to travel to Mars!!!!
4 year are more than enough...
It is quite probably to see the new version before Christmas (Nov 2021)
My 2 cents in any case, I don't have "inside" information.

Peter Baartmans said that product lifetime of the Genos will be atleast 5 years.. and probably longer..

This is on par what the competition is doing..

Just some numbers of cureent top models..

Yamaha Montage 5 years and counting
Yamaha Motif XF 6 years
Korg PA4x 6 years and counting
Korg Kronos 10 years and counting
roland Fantom X 12 years

Technollogy advancement in keyboard land has almost come to a halt, thats why time between models is much longer then a decade ago.

Bachus

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2021, 03:53:19 PM »
But my question is: do we really need a Genos 2 at the moment?

(or can the current one be pushed even further?)

No, we don’t need a Genos2 yet, certainly not the way Yamaha does updates..

I can name dozens of possible updates to Genos, but time also learned me we will not see them from Yamaha Europe.

What we can expect is a major software patch each year for the current Genos.

Offline soryt

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2021, 09:17:49 PM »
I realy need a new one , with al the improvements i mentionned before , and a lot better hardware and surface wich suits his ridicilus high price  ( now)

Soneg  ;D
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2021, 11:30:34 AM »
If I was Yamaha I wouldn't call it Genos 2 anyway. You had Tyros, then Genos, so the name would perhaps change again. Probably something like Zavos? Xenos?

Bachus

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 09:16:48 PM »
If I was Yamaha I wouldn't call it Genos 2 anyway. You had Tyros, then Genos, so the name would perhaps change again. Probably something like Zavos? Xenos?

You had Tyros 1 to 5, all looked alike
Guess whats next and what it will look like?

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2021, 10:22:42 PM »
Whatever Yamaha decides is fine with me EXCEPT for the new Genos, I hope they listen to all the user comments about the cheap finish and poor grade of buttons.

The symbols are starting to fade on my most used buttons - for the first time in about 9 different models!! When you own a PSR 740 and the finish and buttons outlast a keyboard that costs four time as much, there's something really wrong.

Whoever the genius is at Yamaha who authorized the reduced physical quality of the Genos, they need to be fired. It was a terrible move, all to save $3 or $4 dollars per unit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:24:02 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2021, 12:15:26 AM »
Whatever Yamaha decides is fine with me EXCEPT for the new Genos, I hope they listen to all the user comments about the cheap finish and poor grade of buttons.

The symbols are starting to fade on my most used buttons - for the first time in about 9 different models!! When you own a PSR 740 and the finish and buttons outlast a keyboard that costs four time as much, there's something really wrong.

Whoever the genius is at Yamaha who authorized the reduced physical quality of the Genos, they need to be fired. It was a terrible move, all to save $3 or $4 dollars per unit.

Glad I'm playing mine by MIDI, it will stay new forever!!!

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2021, 01:58:46 AM »
Glad I'm playing mine by MIDI, it will stay new forever!!!
Now, why didn't I think of that?! Of course, the old saying among musicians still holds. "If you're gear is in pristine condition, you're not playing enough." ;D
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »
I play mine a lot but pleased to say buttons are still good.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2021, 01:09:57 PM »
Hi Eileen and Lee

All my buttons are good except for the forward slash on the start button( Completely disappeared . Also a thin bottom line on the number 2 registration button)
Still got a year guarantee left, so i will wait until a couple of months left to either get a new button or accept it.
If a new Genos comes out next year i will let it go.
If i did give it back to E-Piano's Banbury .how long would it be gone for?? That is the problem. :-\
For Lee i would get something done about it if quite a few buttons are fading.
I was lucky to have a 5 year guarantee.

All the best
John
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 01:13:26 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline danand

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2021, 12:42:34 PM »
Peter Baartmans said that product lifetime of the Genos will be atleast 5 years.. and probably longer..

Maybe, on the other hand ALL Tyros updates last 3 years from one model yo another.
• Tyros (1 May 2002)
• Tyros2 (21 June 2005)
• Tyros3 (17 April 2008)
• Tyros4 (16 June 2010)
• Tyros5 (13 July 2013)

Maybe the new release doesn't include all the updates users want, but Yamaha will release it in any case...

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2021, 01:19:34 PM »
Hi Eileen and Lee

All my buttons are good except for the forward slash on the start button( Completely disappeared . Also a thin bottom line on the number 2 registration button)
Still got a year guarantee left, so i will wait until a couple of months left to either get a new button or accept it.
If a new Genos comes out next year i will let it go.
If i did give it back to E-Piano's Banbury .how long would it be gone for?? That is the problem. :-\
For Lee i would get something done about it if quite a few buttons are fading.
I was lucky to have a 5 year guarantee.

All the best
John
Five year warranty, John? We don't get that in Canada because...well, it's Canada - perhaps too soft a market for Yamaha, despite the fact that we produce some of the greatest entertainers in the world who often use Yamaha instruments.

We're also last to get any new product releases and only receive a one year warranty. It really sours me when a company plays favorites like that. I live close to Toronto. Upper New York state is just 50 km across the lake from me and they received the first release of the Genos keyboards 6 months ahead of us. I spoke with our Canadian Yamaha rep when I was waiting for my new Genos. She told me they were still 4 months away for me and then proceeded to brag how she just loved her new Genos. Yamaha seemed quite content to afford her one months ahead of her customers. Sure enough, four months later, I received my Genos - the second one to arrive in Canada. I hope when Genos 2 arrives, Yamaha gives us more consideration and not treat us like second class players. What was the topic again :-\?

Five year warranty? Must be nice ;D!

Offline alans

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2021, 04:56:21 PM »
Lee,the 5 year guarantee is a dealer extended guarantee,not Yamaha, I bought a Genos from E-pianos also and  got the 5 year deal
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2021, 05:45:12 PM »
Didn't know that, alans. My dealer offers extended warranties but it costs a fair amount. I assume John also paid for his? He said, "I was lucky to have a 5 year guarantee." He didn't mention where he got it from. I assumed Yamaha ;D.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 09:30:41 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 08:12:26 PM »
Hi Lee
The guarantee came from E-pianos in uk and i assumed it was a Yamaha offer from the dealer
I rang up  E pianos and if it is a dealers guarantee there may be a clause in it .
I had a word with the main owner of the shop and he said it is general wear because some people have acidity in their fingers. It is a manufacturing fault in my eyes.
I did not get a ,oh well we will look at it and repair it. I got to send in a photograph, then he will discuss it with Yamaha.
So they may have a get out clause for people with acidity in their fingers. Who knows. I always wash my hands before playing as this stops fingers sliding off the black notes.
Ok, I have just a forward slash that has almost gone and not much to worry about, but it would be nice if you got a straight positive to say we could get that renewed for you.
on a £5000 keyboard it is a bit wrong to have buttons wearing out because of cheap printing like on my HP £12 computer keyboard.
Things have gone down hill when the keyboards changed from Japan to China.
On the Tyros the print was inside the plastic.
Another thing is that i do not like the cheap wobbly Song A   -   Song B slider. weak rubbish.
I suppose Lee that when a new Genos arrives you will still get a good price on it being 4 -5 years old.
Better than depreciation on a car ,so chin up.

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 08:36:51 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2021, 01:56:54 AM »
Fully agreed, John. If Yamaha has the savvy to produce such a remarkable instrument, surely to God they can deal with a broad spectrum of peoples' varied body chemistries. They proved that with the Tyros and PSR series.

Even those who enjoy a more balanced or neutral finger chemistry will exhibit a short term shift under the pressure of playing in front of an audience, regardless of a lack of stage fright. Look at Oscar Peterson and Fats Domino. I have yet to see a video of either one of them where they didn't bring a towel on stage during their performances. Now, that's real sweat!

No my friend, someone at the top decided to show off what they learned in marketing school by convincing management to save $5 per keyboard by means of changing what worked in the past. This is not only true of Yamaha in this case but all the big players. This new generation of managers have become profit junkies. Good thing this same attitude wasn't used in the sound designs ;D!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2021, 11:33:15 AM »
Agreed!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Bachus

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 12:36:09 PM »
Maybe, on the other hand ALL Tyros updates last 3 years from one model yo another.
• Tyros (1 May 2002)
• Tyros2 (21 June 2005)
• Tyros3 (17 April 2008)
• Tyros4 (16 June 2010)
• Tyros5 (13 July 2013)

Maybe the new release doesn't include all the updates users want, but Yamaha will release it in any case...

Thats old thinking, The 3 years between keyboard updates is long gone..  Genos 2, late 2023 at earliest, but could as well be 2025.. 

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 01:44:48 PM »
It's for me time now to have new sound banks with more details like the one what we can find on computers.
The Genos must really become the keyboard for soundtracks composer.

I would personnally prefer to have 500 new perfect acoustic/electric sounds instead of having 2500 of old one.
That would consume more memory. So, I expect before all a new Genos with far more memory and SSD storage, and new sound banks (and if possible the removal of the awful transitions "issues" between registrations when we don't choose carefully each sound for each part)

I'm quite sure the Genos has already CPU&DSP capacities  for this.

... And I bet the new algorithms on drums will also be applied on samples for acoustic sounds on Genos 2.

The fact that Yamaha expansions are free is a sign for me, it's difficult for Yamaha to continue to sell individual sounds with this "2010 years" quality.
They prefer their Genos/Tyros customers to be satisfied to get these packs free, instead of letting them buying samples from other companies.

Regards
Soundphase

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 03:26:32 PM »
It's for me time now to have new sound banks with more details like the one what we can find on computers.
The Genos must really become the keyboard for soundtracks composer.

I would personally prefer to have 500 new perfect acoustic/electric sounds instead of having 2500 of old one.
That would consume more memory. So, I expect before all a new Genos with far more memory and SSD storage, and new sound banks (and if possible the removal of the awful transitions "issues" between registrations when we don't choose carefully each sound for each part)

I'm quite sure the Genos has already CPU&DSP capacities  for this.

... And I bet the new algorithms on drums will also be applied on samples for acoustic sounds on Genos 2.

The fact that Yamaha expansions are free is a sign for me, it's difficult for Yamaha to continue to sell individual sounds with this "2010 years" quality.
They prefer their Genos/Tyros customers to be satisfied to get these packs free, instead of letting them buying samples from other companies.
Regards
Soundphase
Agreed! In a lot of cases, several of the Genos styles are the same as the Tyros series but with the newer voices applied. It's time to retire these Tyros styles to a legacy bank somewhere in the Genos and build some new ones from scratch. I know that costs money but we are paying top dollar for this keyboard.

I'm still a proponent of having far better piano voices. It's the mainstay voice of any keyboard. The Genos pianos have improved but are still below par. Nord added a dedicated 1GB of RAM to accommodate their updated piano voices. Then, they gave us additional piano voices that we could download for free. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here but there are enough commonalities in the two keyboards to justify better piano sounds for the Genos.

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2021, 03:37:40 PM »
I would like Registration change at end of beat option the same as styles, plus the best Pianos.

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2021, 04:54:55 PM »
I would like Registration change at end of beat option the same as styles, plus the best Pianos.
Agreed!!!

Offline danand

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2021, 06:19:31 PM »
Thats old thinking, The 3 years between keyboard updates is long gone..  Genos 2, late 2023 at earliest, but could as well be 2025..

What ever you say... I'm sure that you know everything about everything and the rest of us are nothing but "old thinkers".

Bachus

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2021, 06:42:11 PM »
What ever you say... I'm sure that you know everything about everything and the rest of us are nothing but "old thinkers".

Thats an odd opinion?

I told you its not an opinion, it was said by Peter Baartmans at several demonstrations here in Holland. genos will have a production cycle of atleast 5 years..

But then who is Peter Baartmans to make such bold statements?

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2021, 02:29:42 PM »
Hi
It is all about supply and demand and also what the opposition are doing.
Business does not love the people , it loves making money ;D

Bachus

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2021, 09:24:21 PM »
Hi
It is all about supply and demand and also what the opposition are doing.
Business does not love the people , it loves making money ;D

Its not just supply and demand...

But you are right its all about making as much money as possible.

In ths buiseness where demand is not extremely high..
They need every trick in the book to make it worthwhile..

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2021, 12:53:06 PM »
It seems to me that you would make more money changing the name completely than calling it Genos 2. Would you want both Genos 1, and Genos 2? Or would you want Genos 1, and Xenos?

To me I could only have two keyboards named differently even though its psychological.

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2021, 01:57:23 PM »
The Tyros series ran successfully with five identical names. To your point Pincho, I think the next arranger will be more of a crossover between the conventional arranger and the Montage. It seems we older users who like to take our keyboards out for an afternoon of entertainment at a retirement home, or simply playing the Genos in our den or living room, are becoming fewer. If I'm right, such a jump would not have us seeing the next keyboard until at least 2024.

By "crossover" I mean an arranger with far more editing and recording tools. Hopefully, it will provide a less convoluted process for recording to a DAW. It's not bad now, after you figure it out, but there are still too many hoops to jump through.

From a voice and style editing point of view, it would be nice to have full integration with a desktop computer and easy to use software versus having to do everything on a tiny touchscreen.

These are just my speculations and dreams ;D.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 01:59:45 PM by Lee Batchelor »

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2021, 06:34:16 PM »
Dear Eileen,

nice to hear that your Genos buttons are still in a good shape.

May I ask you how old is your Genos?

Thank you,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Bachus

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2021, 08:21:31 PM »
Dear Eileen,

nice to hear that your Genos buttons are still in a good shape.

May I ask you how old is your Genos?

Thank you,

Angelo

She got hers at release day..

Mine is just as old, and still looks like on day 1

Offline Toril S

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2021, 08:57:06 PM »
My buttons are still OK, but I have some shiny spots around often used buttons. The matt black surface of the Genos is prone to this! It has been discussed here several times.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2021, 11:01:10 PM »
Yes Bachus is right. I have had mine since release. I do quite a bit of editing on it so it gets well used and still looks as good as it did when new.

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2021, 11:12:25 PM »
Yes Bachus is right. I have had mine since release. I do quite a bit of editing on it so it gets well used and still looks as good as it did when new.
You're lucky, Eileen. A lot of us have those shiny spots Toril mentioned AND fading buttons. You must have perfect body chemistry :). Does it come from clean living or all that tea you folks drink ;D?

Side note - I love reading Eileen's posts. No matter how dark the room gets, she always finds a way to raise the blinds!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2021, 11:28:05 PM »
Agreed! We love Eileen. Always willing to help and encourage us❤️
Toril S

and PSR-47.