Author Topic: Recent Genos WiFi issues  (Read 2357 times)

Offline svpworld

Recent Genos WiFi issues
« on: July 03, 2021, 01:11:24 PM »
Just wondered if anyone else has had problems with their Genos failing to connect to WiFi?  Mine is showing all of the networks (so I presume the WLAN device is working) but when I try to connect to my WiFi network I get an error message (10114300) - Failed to connect to the network.  I've tried connecting to our powerline WiFi spot nearby and my router downstairs. I've also removed all my USB devices just in case that was affecting it?  Passwords are fine, WiFi itself is fine (computers connecting without any trouble).  It's only recently started to happen. I've tried initialising the WiFi but that didn't help :-( 

keynote

Re: Recent Genos WiFi issues
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 05:23:22 PM »
Hmm. Make sure your Genos Wireless LAN is in "Infrastructure Mode". Under 'Detail' make sure DHCP is "On" then scroll to page 2 and see if the Host Name shows Genos-****** (with numbers and a letter in place of asterisks). Does the MAC Address show up? Did you recently move your Router to a different location possibly putting it out of range of the Genos? You might also consider installing/reinstalling the latest Geno OS update i.e. version 2.02 if you're unable to resolve the issue by other means. Cheers.

All the best,
Mike

Offline RONBO

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 05:35:10 PM »
Hello,

To answer your question if anyone had trouble connecting to wi-fi; I myself had no issues.

Check the reference manual on page 152. It's quite easy to follow.

Reference manual has to be downloaded as it does not come with the Genos, if you haven't already done so
The last poster, Mike has brought up some great questions for you to ponder as well.

Regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 07:22:08 AM »
Hi svpworld,

The Genos only supports the WiFi standards IEEE802.11 b/g/n, and only on 2.4 GHz (IEEE802.11 n 5 GHz: not compatible!).

Your router may be set up so that it only supports IEEE802.11 n 5 GHz and/or IEEE802.11 ac (which only works with 5 GHz). Then you would have to change the router setting so that at least IEEE802.11 n 2.4 GHz is also supported (Security setting should normally be "WPA2-PSK").

The DHCP server should be activated on the router. As already mentioned, you use the "Infrastructure Mode" on the Genos, and DHCP must of course also be activated here.

Hope this helps,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 07:27:07 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: tyrosrick

Offline svpworld

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 09:31:52 PM »
Thank you Chris for reminding me about Genos being incompatible with 5 Ghz. Although my router is set up to transmit both on 2.4GHz AND 5GHz with the same SSID and password (devices just connect usually to the quickest), it seems this might have been the culprit confusing Genos.  I briefly turned off the 5GHz access point and retried the Genos connection, this time it connected!  Yay!  Then I reactivated the 5GHz access point on the router.  I guess maybe Genos tried connecting to the 5Ghz point and not even attempting to fall back to the 2.4 connection.  Anyway thanks for the tips and reminding me to try this.  All resolved!

Kind regards
Simon
(SVPworld fame)

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 10:20:01 PM »
Thank you Chris for reminding me about Genos being incompatible with 5 Ghz. Although my router is set up to transmit both on 2.4GHz AND 5GHz with the same SSID and password (devices just connect usually to the quickest), it seems this might have been the culprit confusing Genos.  I briefly turned off the 5GHz access point and retried the Genos connection, this time it connected!  Yay!  Then I reactivated the 5GHz access point on the router.  I guess maybe Genos tried connecting to the 5Ghz point and not even attempting to fall back to the 2.4 connection.  Anyway thanks for the tips and reminding me to try this.  All resolved!

Kind regards
Simon
(SVPworld fame)

Thanks for your kind and detailed feedback, Simon!

I am pleased that the problem has been resolved.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 06:38:23 PM »
It never fails to totally amaze me how Chris, alias Overover, always provides complete and accurate info/answers no matter which forum he works from.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 07:36:49 PM »
It never fails to totally amaze me how Chris, alias Overover, always provides complete and accurate info/answers no matter which forum he works from.