Author Topic: Brilliant Genos player  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Duffy

Brilliant Genos player
« on: April 01, 2021, 04:55:27 PM »
I didn't know whether to post in here or in Demo's but this is not a demo as such.
This guy is Marco Mendez and I came across him by accident. He performs a Zoom concert on the Genos and sounds amazing.
He does some multi-tracking sometime but but his playing skills are incredible on their own.
He talks at length about each tune and how he decides to play it so, if you get bored, just wind it on.
I enjoyed listening to him talk as well as his playing and he absolutely loves music.
You tube link https://youtu.be/cSugCAI8IAw
enjoy.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Pincho Paxton

Re: Brilliant Genos player
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 05:55:35 PM »
He's very good! I can't believe that 10 registration banks aren't enough for him. I didn't even think of moving to the next bank up.

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 03:25:57 PM »
Here is a guy in the Netherherlands who plays live on Youtube.  He plays all kinds of music.  He was classically trained , but he plays by ear too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxYG8AcITV_8NBUK42qTWXw

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 06:44:43 PM »
He's very good! I can't believe that 10 registration banks aren't enough for him. I didn't even think of moving to the next bank up.

I have songs which require more than 10 registrations (American Pie being one). But moving to the next bank is easy.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Del B

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 10:07:39 PM »
We have a member here in the forum who plays many Genres of music he is classically trained at the Royal School of Music and is an occomlished Pianist, he also
played Trumpet and Trombone, He can play by ear also, he arranges most of his music and he composes, he has made many albums of music for ballroom dancing, it's none other than David Read (Dalekwars) is his forum name, Visit his You-Tube channel you won't be dissappointed.
Oh and he plays an SX900 not a genos but he gets alot out of this keyboard.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 10:14:08 PM by Del B »

The following users thanked this post: Duffy

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 04:43:01 AM »

David Read playing

If God Was One of Us Rumba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Rz-4FWxF0

And... Some Day Piano Solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tryxxoyDIZw

Joe H

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline Duffy

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 12:49:39 PM »
We have a member here in the forum who plays many Genres of music he is classically trained at the Royal School of Music and is an occomlished Pianist, he also
played Trumpet and Trombone, He can play by ear also, he arranges most of his music and he composes, he has made many albums of music for ballroom dancing, it's none other than David Read (Dalekwars) is his forum name, Visit his You-Tube channel you won't be dissappointed.
Oh and he plays an SX900 not a genos but he gets alot out of this keyboard.

Thanks for that. I really enjoyed listening to David.
Such a beautiful delicate touch and makes it all look so easy in a manner similar to Ronnie O'Sullivan at snooker.

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 02:51:16 PM »
There are many great players and talented musicians out there, and if they master the full capability of an amazing instrument like a Genos, they can produce startling stuff.
David Read performed at what is probably the most elite level of piano playing, -  the professional concert pianist. These are the virtuosos of the keyboard world, and to reach then maintain that level requires not only world class talent and training but an incredible level of dedication to hours and hours of daily practice. It’s like the top athletes, the real work is what we don’t see.
Mike

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 01:57:59 PM »
...and David is playing on a 61 key, electronic piano, and a nice one at that. Think what he would do with a Yamaha grand!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 08:46:21 PM »
just stumbled upon all the lovely posts here...thank you so much :-)

I absolutely adore my SX900 and would have a Genos as well if space was not a problem as miss having more polyphony but generally for going out and and performing I have always used the PSR range right from when it started and have always been happy with them

To the comment about what would I sound like on a Yamaha grand.....interesting question.  I have played Yamaha's at several concerts and truthfully they are not my piano of choice although every now and then you get a great one .....I would Rate Fazioli as my top brand... Steinway next ( but not a new one)  Kawai come next although a good Bluthner piano is hard to beat for a soft gentle sound and next but by no means least Yamaha...These are obviously personal choices and everyone has different tastes depending on the type of music they p[lay and I will agree that Yamaha for more popular, jazz music etc are better suited.

Again thank you for the lovely comments all.....one last thing I have had several messages asking what piano i use on the SX900 and it is their main concert grand sound...interestingly I do not know where this comes from but it is a lovely sample.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:01:48 PM by dalekwars »

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 12:28:10 AM »
David - the Fazioli has a great reputation but all the pics I have seen it seems a bit over the top in ornate design. Never seen one in real life.
But for OTT have you ever seen, or even heard of the Borgato piano from Italy. They are hand built by only Borgato himself and one other craftsman, make only max 2 per year and cost about half million dollars upwards, which makes even the Fazioli seem like a bargain. They are also sometimes supersized, with huge long keyboards with about 100 notes, and some with two keyboards and 14 pedals!!
I read some reviews by concert pianists which said the sound and feel is amazing. At half a million it better be.
Like you though I like Kawaii. Did you know that he started with Yamaha, helped develop their pianos, then broke away. The two factories are close together.
Mike