Author Topic: Genos And Cubase Chord Track  (Read 1694 times)

johnnyb

Genos And Cubase Chord Track
« on: March 31, 2021, 01:25:27 PM »
Hello everyone ,
I hope someone may be able to help.......
I have a genos and I've got cubase pro 10.5.
I recorded myself playing a style with the midi quick record in genos and then loaded it into cubase.
On the midi file from the genos , when i loaded it into cubase there is a track called chord data.
Is it possible to turn that chord data into a chord track in cubase that way i can generate harmonies quickly using cubase's generate harmonies function.

I know this is quite a complicated question but it would be nice to be able to record myself live into genos and then make a finished recording using harmonies in cubase

Thanks

John

Offline ugawoga

Re: Genos And Cubase Chord Track
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 11:25:11 PM »
Hi M8

In Cubase you have the whole style on tracks 9-16
The chord data  is in a separate track, the same as Sys ex data as this is information, so the Genos can  communicate back and forward between Genos and Cubase.
You must have them two tracks for the rest to work perfectly.
I am not a computer expert, but that is just communication info tracks.
Your chords are split up into several tracks.

What i do with songs is to record quick record on the Genos and transfer to Cubase.
Set the tracks up to hear the midi firing the Genos and then go about editing the lead track with registration changes.
With Chord tracks i look at them and get rid of note particles left over by Genos trying to be perfect. After all it is a machine that likes perfect timing. Yeah! just a machine.. lol
This does add annoying little sounds sometimes.
To deal with that i go to  Midi / Functions and scroll down to delete notes.
There you can drag the blue line down in the first little box to a small amount so it does not interfere with the shortest note in your composition ( it just getting rid of tiny bits of rubbish left all over the track). Some tracks are fine and others can be annoying with bits of rubbish leftovers.
Once you have dedcided that, hit delete note notes and it gets rid of all that flack.
After that inspect the chord tracks too see if there are no gaps . If there are, you can adjust.
It does take a little time to get used too.
If you are not too fussy you could ignore that, but it is nice to get clarity.
Once all is looking good, I turn the tracks to waves.
Track one where there are registration changes, i cut the different sections of changes out and put them on separate tracks.
After that it is down to mixing  and getting the song sounding as good as my knowledge has taken me so far.
We never stop learning
A lot of it is depends how far you want to go and how deep.
I am annoyed with the way Yamaha have made us import packs in Yem and then making project folder  CPI
and installing that from usb and then putting one pack in after and making that a CQI and installing that. What a Palava!!! ;D.
Loading sounds into the Genos has become rocket science ::) :P :-[ :-X ;D
There should be a button for that!! simply Import and export.
My little rant over!!!!

Have fun

All the Best
John :) :) :) :)

All The Best
John :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:29:50 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 07:07:14 AM »
Hi John,

I don't now if it is  possible to turn that chord data into a chord track in cubase directly.
But you can use the Pad channel 15 to Create Chord Symbols from this track.

First you have to create a chord track.
By select channel 15 > Go to Project menu > chord track > Create Chord Symbols.

See youtube video of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_5kdPYSYLc
Timeline 15:45 question, 17:40 action : Create Chord Symbols
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:50:29 AM »
Hi Wim
I see what you are saying. It would be nice if you can do that.
i am not sure of that as all i know that the two tracks Chord data and Sys ex is just information for the Genos to playback generate the song in Cubase.
Without those tracks your song in Cubase would run into problems like strange anomalies and funny sounds
I will have to look at this.
Maybe to generate chord melodies which are midi from Genos Style which shows in cubase, drag the midi tracks that make up the chords onto an instrument track for VST to use.
I should think also it would be easy enough to use Cubase chord tracks  to make melodies as it helps you with progressions from the magic circle. :)
We need and expert here to put me right

You could make your chord progression on Genos transfer to Cubase.
Set up  and get the chord tracks in the style turned to wave and then you could slice them up and put them anywhere. Just a thought!! ::)
Or-- move the midi to an instrument track render and slice and move  and you then have vst sound.

Just had a look at Cubase chord tracks and it is amazing what you can do just in Cubase 11.
Make chords,inversions, tensions  and assign different players to each instrument track and come up with great progressions. Circle of 5ths and proximity , you cannot go wrong.
There is so much to learn and it never stops.

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:39:42 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox