Author Topic: Organising Genos  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Oldden

Organising Genos
« on: March 31, 2021, 09:16:18 AM »
Think this is a silly question but will try anyway.
It would be nice if we could organise everything externally from the Genos. By that I mean all the registrations, songs , voices , styles and so on in one go either on a windows or apple computer, then either load it back or do it plugged in. Windows and apple machines do simple drag and drop to move things around, copying or deleting files is a doddle. The operating system obviously can’t be done but the Genos on board organiser is not the best.
Oldden

Offline vanzee

Re: Organising Genos
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 10:34:28 AM »
I don't use the intern Genos Memory.
Everything is organized on a pendrive.
No pendrive at the bottom.
When starting Genos only this particular pendrive is inserted always  in the same socket,
because of driveletters when starting.
I do so from 2017 now, never encountered  any problem,
no difference in loading time vs. intern memory.
Of course always backup on other drive !

Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline acparker

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 11:55:31 AM »
You can start the Genos in USB mode by holding down the 'Playlist' button while turning it on.

Doing so will allow to see the Genos as a USB drive, and you can move things around on the computer.

A word of warning.  This may break things like Registrations, which store exact file locations for things like styles.  If you move the style, the registration will not work until you edit it and save the new location.

Hope this helps!

Adam

Offline Oldden

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 01:32:37 PM »
Yes, I agree that you can start up Genos to look a bit like a usb drive but as you say there are risks involved. I was just trying to point out that if Yamaha had made a better job of the operating system things could have been so much better.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 01:40:54 PM »
I think we are all used to it by now and accept that is the way it works. It has always been the case that if third party styles are moved from there original spot when linked to registrations the registrations will no longer pick them up. Still great keyboards.

Offline Oldden

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 01:50:37 PM »
Hi Eileen,
I agree with you that they are great keyboards. I have been buying them for years, I think D85 organ was the first I bought and loved every  minute.