Author Topic: How to set Chord voice for synth voices ?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline sunny

How to set Chord voice for synth voices ?
« on: March 29, 2021, 08:40:18 PM »
Friends,

I wan't Chord voice for Synth voices and voilins  as i can't find  chord voice( playing three notes) option on Genos. Please help.

Thanks,
Sunny
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 08:42:23 PM by sunny »

Offline DerekA

Re: How to set Chord voice for synth voices ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 10:30:15 PM »
Do you mean harmony? For synth voices this defaults to an arp often. Press direct then harmony to select a different type. You may also need to open voice edit and change from mono to poly.
Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 07:41:40 AM »
You can change the mono/poly status of voices directly from the Voice screen. Synth voices by default are often set to mono so that portamento can be used straight away.  (Touch mono on the appropriate voice part R1, 2, 3 or Left after pushing Voice. Mono will change to Poly and the voice will now sound chords when you play more than 1 note.)
If you choose to mix ensemble voices into "normal' playing, not all play well with chording. Some do, others won't.

John
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:25:31 PM by jwyvern »

Offline sunny

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 02:08:40 PM »
You can change the mono/poly status of voices directly from the Voice screen. Synth voices by default are often set to mono so that portamento can be used straight away.  (Touch mono on the appropriate voice part R1, 2, 3 or Left after pushing Voice. Mono will change to Poly and the voice will now sound chords when you play more than 1 note.)
If you choose to mix ensemble voices into "normal' playing, not all play well with chording. Some do, others won't.

John

Hi John,
I can't find Mono button on Genos, as Tyros 5  has Mono button. Please let me know how to play Synth voices mono to Poly.

Also please let me know how to play ensemble voices to normal playing to poly.

Thanks,
Sunny.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 02:22:27 PM by sunny »

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 02:20:45 PM »
... I can't find Mono button on Genos, as Tyros 5  has Mono button. Please let me know how to play Synth voices mono to Poly. ...

Hi Sunny,

you have to use the "Voice Edit" display:

- Select the desired Voice (other than an Organ Flutes Voice/Ensemble Voice).

- On the Voice Selection display, touch "Menu" icon and then "Voice Edit" to call up the Voice Edit display.

- Go to "Common" tab > "Mono".

Please refer also to Genos Reference Manual, from page 48, section "Editing Voices (Voice Edit)".

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 03:01:01 PM »
Or press the big white "Voice" button on the panel

On the display right under the voice name/part, you'll see "Mono". if it's on a white background, that means mono node is on. Touch it to change it to black background (off).
Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 03:55:57 PM »
Hi John,
I can't find Mono button on Genos, as Tyros 5  has Mono button. Please let me know how to play Synth voices mono to Poly.

Thanks,
Sunny.

Hi sunny,
Load a  synth voice into say R1.
On Genos you can go to Voice Edit if you wish, but since changing mono/poly is much quicker from the Voice screen I choose to do it from there. So push the white Voice button on Genos if you are not already in that screen (see the group of 6 illuminated buttons to the right of the screen) .
Look just below where it says Right1 and you will see a Touch area that says Mono. If the current voice is mono (as many synths are) the area is lit. Touch it and it changes to unlit. The voice is now in poly mode as you want.

Make mono lit or unlit in this way to change between mono and poly for most normal voices. There are some exceptions eg. SA2 voice mono/poly cannot be changed.
Note there are direct links to many other edits from that same screen.

If you want to play certain ensemble voices in normal setups it is probably best to try them and see how they behave when used with chords since there will be variations. You may find some types are changeable in a similar way to the above (or via voice edit.)
John