Author Topic: Recording to memory stick.  (Read 2814 times)

rattler

Recording to memory stick.
« on: March 26, 2021, 10:30:05 AM »
Just wondering.. again !.

When I playback on my laptop audio files  recorded on my 900sx
and saved to USB , these are always at an intolerable low volume..
( Nothing to do with the output levels on the laptop ).
I have a feeling that as usual I am missing something when recording and saving my work.
When monitoring through my headphones the music seems to be just right ,but the playback ?.
Again, I  would welcome and value  any advice on the matter .
Stay safe everyone !.

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Recording to memory stick.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 11:59:56 AM »
Just to verify if I understood your problem.

You recorded on your SX 900 (Audio). But when you play it on your laptop it gives a low noise.

When you say monitoring via headphones you mean while playing on the keyboard?

Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 02:43:31 PM »
Dose it sound quite when you play it back through keyboard. You can use Audacity to raise volume if required.

Offline vanzee

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 02:51:27 PM »
Maybe increase the "Record" -volume before recording.
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

rattler

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 02:57:52 PM »
Hi Eileen.. hope you are safe and well !,
Thanks for your reply .
Some clarity as to how to increase the volume level of a file opened from USB into Audacity would be welcome.
I use my Snowball mike to record in this software, but as I pointed out I do use the recording functions on the 900 as preference.
( A.A, Milne would have described  me as ' a bear of little brain ' I fear !)

Hope you can help  !

rattler

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 03:01:16 PM »
Maybe increase the "Record" -volume before recording.

Dare I ask ' how ? '.. The reference manual appears to say nothing about this !.

Thanks for your help.

Offline meyrick

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 04:28:48 PM »
Hi rattler. I think Eileen has the right idea on your problem.  Any audio program similar to Audacity will do what you want. I use NCH WavePad Sound Editor to increase the volume of my recordings. Very simple to use and will load almost any sound file.

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 04:50:10 PM »
My bad!
When I saw ( Intolerable low volume).

I thought he ment low Frequency issue.
I was also working on some frequency issue when I posted.  ;D

Just use Audacity.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 08:26:56 PM »
rattler,

If your recordings are playing back with low volume, I'd suggest that you check your Master Compressor settings.
I've found that the "Output" setting controls the recording level on my SX-900.

I use Reaper as my DAW, but any DAW has the ability to show you your record levels. In my case, with my Output set to 90, I get average RMS readings of -18db, with Peak levels that are just under 0db.  No distortion, and they are obviously recorded at the proper level.

If I set my Output to 45, for example, it is now recorded very obviously too low. Both MIDI and Audio recordings act this way.  Your "Compression" setting will also affect the apparent loudness, and you'll just have to experiment with the settings to your taste, but I suspect this is why your recordings sound quiet. Hope it helps!   Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 04:57:22 PM »
I usually have my main volume at 12 oclock. Style at 100 and right voices between 100-127. I have compressor set to Rich and get a good volume from this on my Audio recordings.

Offline andyg

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 11:48:27 AM »
I'm confused. You're using a mike to record the keyboard?

Why not simply record direct to the USB stick? Then take the USB stick to the computer and open the audio file in Audacity for editing. For most people that will simply mean trimming the start and end points to avoid unnecessary silences, then perhaps using the Normalise function in Audacity to increase the level if required. Ctrl-A to select the entire piece, then Effects>Normalise. You can use the default Normalise settings as they'll be fine most times. Then save, of course!

Playing back on laptop speakers. Most laptop speakers are tiny and there isn't a lot of power. My Dell is louder than my HP Elitebook and both are way louder than my old,old old HP 'junk heap'! Plug in some headphones or external amp/speakers and it's a different matter, they all perform just the same.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com