Author Topic: SONG POSITION MARKER: how to inhibit a pre-count on PSR S Series?  (Read 4119 times)

Offline bernamato

I am a PSR S975 owner. How to inhibit a pre-count (no sound, I know how to do it) but I don't know how to exclude a pre-count.
Someone could help me?

SONG POSITION MARKER
PSR 975
through Mixmaster I set the song with the marker SPJ-01 at the fourth and eighth bars. However, when I load the song the marker is not recognized even if the manual states that:
"For Songs containing Phrase Marks
You can change the unit for rewinding / fastforwarding by pressing the [D] (BAR) or the
[E] (PHRASE MARK) button.
In song setting  I see a greyed out box  "phrase mark repeat"  I have no idea how to activate it.
Can someone help me?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:22:26 PM by bernamato »

Offline bernamato

Re: SONG POSITION MARKER: how to set up?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 07:30:52 PM »
Is there a sys ex to activate the function "Phrase Mark Repeat"?
The manual explain that it is activate when a midi song has a "song position mark" (ie SPJ-01, SPJ-02 etc).
Well also in this case it doesn't run.
Why Yamaha wrote one thing in a manual and it doesn't go?
It is possible make a legal act on this, or update the O.S.

Best regards,

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 07:47:49 PM »
The Song Position marker does not send sysex data. If you enter the Marker correctly in the song, it should work properly. See how it is done on Genos, but the procedure is identical on PSR S.

https://youtu.be/vTOIEncOAIE
Watch my video channel

Offline bernamato

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 08:26:39 PM »
Hi.
I was referring to the possibility of sending a sys ex to activate the function. I know well that the mark is not a sys ex.
On the PSR S975 there are no buttons that allow you to enter markers as you do on the Genos.
You need to use a program like MixMaster.
I found in the manual describing the data, these sys ex like:
YAMAHA XF META EVENT
FF 7F 05 43 7B 03 20 08 Phrase Mark Used as a marker for each phrase when executing Phrase Mark repeat playback. Used when performing the Phrase Mark repeat playback.
FF 7F 04 43 7B 04 dd Phrase Max Maximum Phrase Number Used when performing the Phrase Mark repetition.
The song (very beautiful) with markers SPJ-01, SPJ-02 etc. does not activate the PHRASE MARK REPEAT function. It remains grayed out and not selectable.
Following these indications, would you be able to help me?

Thank you
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 11:00:29 AM by bernamato »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 08:32:29 PM »
Set up that song to see what it’s all about.
Watch my video channel

Offline bernamato

Re: SONG POSITION MARKER: hot to inhibit a pre-count?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 08:15:50 AM »
I am an owner of PSR S975. How to inhibit a pre-count (no sound, I know how to do it) but I don't know how to exclude a pre-count.
Someone could help me?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:17:52 AM by bernamato »

Offline overover

Re: SONG POSITION MARKER: hot to inhibit a pre-count?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 12:21:33 PM »
I am an owner of PSR S975. How to inhibit a pre-count (no sound, I know how to do it) but I don't know how to exclude a pre-count.
Someone could help me?

Hi bernamato,

are you talking about Styles (e.g. Intro 1) or MIDI files (or both) here?

To my knowledge, there is no such function on Yamaha keyboards to inhibit a pre-count "on the fly". Options, which you probably already know, are to set the velocity of the pre-count notes to 1 or to delete these notes completely.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline bernamato

Re: SONG POSITION MARKER: how to inhibit a pre-count on PSR S Series?
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 08:16:07 PM »
Hi overover.
I'm talking about song midi.
I didn't understand your suggest: how to decrease the velocity to 1 if the pre-count is not a midi note?
And if you would sync the song midi file player (slave) with external daw (master), the midi song player on keyboard would follow the loop set in the daw or not, if you know?
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:28:29 PM by bernamato »

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 10:02:24 PM »
Hi bernamato,

Hi overover.
I'm talking about song midi.
I didn't understand your suggest: how to decrease the velocity to 1 if the pre-count is not a midi note?

unfortunately, I don't understand what exactly you want to do. Earlier I spoke of (recorded) MIDI files (or Style-Intros) that contain a pre-count as MIDI notes.

Are you talking about recording MIDI files (and here using the internal METRONOME)? But why would the pre-count bother you here (the Metronome is not recorded with a MIDI recording)?

Please describe your working method or the problem with the "pre-count" in more detail.

And if you would sync the song midi file player (slave) with external daw (master), the midi song player on keyboard would follow the loop set in the daw or not, if you know? ...

I haven't tried this myself yet, but I don't think that the internal MIDI Song Player reacts to Loops that you have set in the DAW, since Loop Markers are not SysEx, but Meta Events. The latter, however, are not transmitted via a MIDI connection, but can only be used within the MIDI device on which the MIDI file containing the Markers is played back.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline bernamato

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 05:58:43 AM »
Hello.
I try to clarify what I found after inserting the position markers (YAMAHA XF META EVENT) in the song midi file.
The idea is to overcome the limit found in the PSR 975: there is no a way to loop a section of the midi file to be played in the keyboard player, such as SPJ-01, SPJ-02 ... as in the higher category keyboards.
I tried to insert a song position marker to overcome the problem and in part I succeeded. However, when the keyboard player plays the loop, it does a pre-count before starting the second loop. I want to eliminate this pre-count so that the loop is played cyclically without interruption. Is there a meta data instruction to insert in the midi file in order to inhibit the pre-count when the player encounters the position marker to start the second loop cycle without a 4-beat pre-count?
Thank you for the support.

Offline bernamato

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 10:19:19 AM »
Please, someone can help me? Tks
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 10:22:01 AM by bernamato »