Author Topic: How useful is the search function as implemented in the sx900? ...and not onl  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Aquilauno

Hi friends, I ask you how useful is the search function as implemented in the sx900 (and in Genos).
Let me explain, I tried to search for a style using the "search" function, a style that contained the Lambada keyword, the results left me perplexed. I enclose various screen shots, as you can see the results are beyond display capabilities (10 pages for 10 styles = 100). Nothing strange in this, only that I had removed the USB key, so the results I expected had to be only those present in the factory styles and those of the expansion packs installed that contained the keyword. In reality, all those present in the past on the USB sticks used are displayed, even those renamed with both the old name and the new one, and those deleted or moved from a folder. So the question is: am I wrong in something or is this exactly the case? If the second answer is correct, the "search" function is impossible to use, as the results are unreliable, many styles cannot be used (practically, without USB, all those on the stick) they are not present but they are displayed in the search results (Is it a bug?). In practice it seems that the "buffer" does not reset, and with each new search the files are added to the previous ones, making the "search" function unusable. In addition to this it is frustrating that the search is not limited only to the starting folder (or rather the starting directory), whether it is the: Preset, User, USB (if present) or Expansion Pack of the sx900, limiting the results to a well-rounded circle, narrow (as it happens in Windows O.S. for example). This "problem" should also apply to Genos. As long as I'm not making a mistake at the base. If things are as I have argued ... is it possible that Yamaha has not corrected a bug like this? But maybe (probably) I doing something wrong. I apologize in advance if I made a mistake.
Pietro

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:20:19 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline Toril S

Yes, it did that to me too. If you want it to search only on the unit, remove all sticks, turn of the keyboard and turn it on, then search.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

Offline Aquilauno

Hi Toril, thanks for replying, I did as you said, but the index keeps showing me all the styles that were on the USB, even if no USB is inserted. I cannot understand which criteria you use the "search" function and why the index does not reset with each new search. If I try to enter the word "canadian" in the search field, for example, and press ok, the results include the style that is in the preset folder: / Pop & Rock /. In fact, the fifth style on the left is correctly loaded as it is present on board, it is in the Pop & Rock folder (factory style), all the others are modified copies that are in the USB stick, which I removed (no USB is connected) from here the reading error (SX900 obviously does not find the style). But why without USB the styles are displayed the same in the search results? This confuses me. I cannot understand how the "search" function works. I also tried with the word "Can" and the results are even stranger, they also turn out to be styles that don't contain the word "can". I was hoping to get out of this dead end ... but I will be able to live with all of this Lol.
Too bad that the topic doesn't seem to arouse enough interest, yet unless to have an elephant memory being able to find a style in a 32 Gb USB becomes very difficult, but probably I'm doing something wrong.
Pietro

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Toril S

Hm. Maybe a bug after all?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Toril S

Have you tried clearing the search word one more time and typing it in again, if I remenber correctly that helped me one time.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline DerekA

It's because the keyboard holds an internal copy of the list of style filenames, to enable a quick search. It rebuilds this list from time to time, which is not always a quick process. You need to give it a while to "catch up" when you add / remove USB, especially if there are a lot of folders on the USB.

Offline Aquilauno

Hi Derek, in fact due to the pandemic much of my time I spend accompanying the children to school, picking them up, shopping, preparing lunch ... and tomorrow I have  the third dose of vaccine lol ... I spend little time at the keyboard, no more than an hour to day ... probably too little to allow the index to update ... thanks Derek for the explanation, thanks Toril for the time dedicated to me. :)
Pietro