Author Topic: CVP STYLE SETTING QUESTION  (Read 4425 times)

Offline brian1uk

CVP STYLE SETTING QUESTION
« on: March 23, 2021, 05:22:02 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about the STYLE SETTING menu on the CVP pianos. If you look at the 809, 709 etc., all of them have this menu. My question refers to the options under Stop ACMP. On the CVP 809 for example, the options are Disabled, Off, Style, and Fixed. (I think these are the same options as for earlier models) I have read the reference manual which supposedly explains what each of these do. While it is clear to me what "Off " (no sound from the chord detection area) and "disabled" (chord detection area reverts to the same voice as right hand side of keyboard) I am NOT CLEAR as to the difference between "fixed" and "style". I set it to each of these and then struck a chord while SYNC START is OFF and I get very similar sounding - but noticeably different - sounds from the chord detection area. My understanding is that the idea is for the player to be able to hear (or sample, if you will) the style voicing without having the style tracks playing, but honestly I can't figure out what is different between "fixed " and style" settings.  So can someone in the know help answer this for me please?

Offline ckobu

Re: CVP STYLE SETTING QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 08:34:57 AM »
Watch the video from this part, here I explain how STOP Acomp works. It works the same way with CVP digital Piano.
(activate eng subtitle)

https://youtu.be/WUV5RlGRDdk?t=41

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 09:38:15 AM »
... I can't figure out what is different between "fixed " and style" settings.  So can someone in the know help answer this for me please?

Hi Brian,

the difference between the "Stop ACMP" settings "Fixed" and "Style" is as follows:

Fixed: Regardless of the currently loaded Style, always the same Voices (Bass & StringPad) are used. So you have the same "Stop ACMP" sound for all Styles.

Style: The Voices of the "Bass" and "Pad" Parts of the currently loaded Style are used. If desired, so you could change the "Stop ACMP" sound here by changing the Voices of these Style Parts.

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 11:50:08 AM »
STOP ACMP is used to provide a simple, block-chord accompaniment on the left hand. So to answer your question directly - these options are used to customize what you want that accompaniment to sound like, and that's all.

As Chris says FIXED is a default pleasant choice, STYLE gives you complete freedom to choose anything you want.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline brian1uk

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 05:50:49 PM »
Thanks very much to everyone for their respective replies.
I get it now.

But what would be the point of having an "OFF" setting?
Can someone point to the utility of this setting (No sound at all from the chord detection area)?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 05:53:19 PM »
But what would be the point of having an "OFF" setting?
Can someone point to the utility of this setting (No sound at all from the chord detection area)?

Very useful. You don’t want any sound when you stop the accompaniment.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ckobu

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 05:56:16 PM »
Watch the video more carefully.
When Stop Acomp is set to OFF, you can play with the Multipad or use VH2 without hearing the sound of your left hand.
Watch my video channel

Offline brian1uk

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 07:28:13 PM »
CKOBU . . thanks again, but excuse my naivete . . . 
(I am relatively new to these instruments) what is "VH2"?

I am not sure but I don't believe CVPs have the feature "multi-pad". (Do they?)
I thought that was unique to the PSR and Genos range of keyboards.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 07:54:48 PM »
Hi Brian,

you're right, there is no MultiPad on the CVP-809. VH2 is a Vocal Harmony and you can use it unaccompanied in the background as I showed in the video at 03:30 seconds.

regards, casper
Watch my video channel

Offline brian1uk

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 11:20:43 PM »
Yes Casper I really enjoy that as well as the Hawaiian guitar sound you produced.

But I don't think I can do that VH with the sound off on my CVP. I will try it out.
thanks for all of your help everyone.
I am having another issue with the 809 that I will describe in a new post.
Brian