Author Topic: Transform the Psr-sx900 into a midi Keyboard  (Read 4578 times)

pablitz

Transform the Psr-sx900 into a midi Keyboard
« on: March 19, 2021, 06:41:03 PM »
Hello
Sometimes I wish I could play through the sounds of music software.
I am having difficulty setting the keyboard to mute.
How can I do to turn it into a midi keyboard?

Argento

Re: Transform the Psr-sx900 into a midi Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 07:40:55 PM »
I presume that is similar to mine...
Set Speaker Mute=on and Keyboar Out=On

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 09:14:55 PM »
Hello
Sometimes I wish I could play through the sounds of music software.
I am having difficulty setting the keyboard to mute.
How can I do to turn it into a midi keyboard?

Hi pablitz,

• the easiest way is to turn the Master Volume of the SX900 down to zero. (Or set the "Speaker" parameter at "Menu > Utility > Speaker/Connectivity" to "Headphone Switch" and connect a Headphones plug to the PHONES socket. ;) )

• The "correct" way is to switch off "Local control" for the desired Parts. To do this go to "Menu > MIDI > System tab > Local Control". Here remove the checkmarks of the Parts that should not be controlled internally. If needed, touch "Save" to save the changed settings as a User MIDI template in the User drive.

• Another way is to simply set the Part Volume(s) of the Keyboard Part(s) used to zero (in the Mixer or in the Voice Part Setup display).

By the way: If the standard Preset MIDI template "All Parts" is selected, external MIDI data are only output (via DIN MIDI OUT and USB-MIDI) when playing on the keyboard if the relevant Keyboard Part (Left, Right 1 - 3) is switched on (via the Part On/Off switch).

• But there is another option: If the Preset MIDI template "KBD & Style" is selected, the virtual Parts "Upper" and "Lower" are used. The right-hand Parts are handled as “Upper”, transmitted on "Port1 Ch1", and the left-hand Part is handled as “Lower”, transmitted on "Port1 Ch2".

And the best thing: The MIDI data is also output with this MIDI template (on channel 1 or 2, as mentioned) when all Keyboard Parts are switched OFF. So you could also "mute" the SX900 in this way if you don't want to generate internal sounds while playing on the keyboard.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:31:54 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

pablitz

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 11:06:40 PM »
Hi pablitz,

• the easiest way is to turn the Master Volume of the SX900 down to zero. (Or set the "Speaker" parameter at "Menu > Utility > Speaker/Connectivity" to "Headphone Switch" and connect a Headphones plug to the PHONES socket. ;) )

• The "correct" way is to switch off "Local control" for the desired Parts. To do this go to "Menu > MIDI > System tab > Local Control". Here remove the checkmarks of the Parts that should not be controlled internally. If needed, touch "Save" to save the changed settings as a User MIDI template in the User drive.

• Another way is to simply set the Part Volume(s) of the Keyboard Part(s) used to zero (in the Mixer or in the Voice Part Setup display).

By the way: If the standard Preset MIDI template "All Parts" is selected, external MIDI data are only output (via DIN MIDI OUT and USB-MIDI) when playing on the keyboard if the relevant Keyboard Part (Left, Right 1 - 3) is switched on (via the Part On/Off switch).

• But there is another option: If the Preset MIDI template "KBD & Style" is selected, the virtual Parts "Upper" and "Lower" are used. The right-hand Parts are handled as “Upper”, transmitted on "Port1 Ch1", and the left-hand Part is handled as “Lower”, transmitted on "Port1 Ch2".

And the best thing: The MIDI data is also output with this MIDI template (on channel 1 or 2, as mentioned) when all Keyboard Parts are switched OFF. So you could also "mute" the SX900 in this way if you don't want to generate internal sounds while playing on the keyboard.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you so much.
You were perfect and thorough. I finally managed to mute my keyboard sounds and completely mute it.

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 12:12:32 AM »
A midi keyboard costs almost nothing, the SX costs a lot because of the sounds, features etc. Just seems a little odd to buy it then deactivate all the features and sounds.

Offline alka

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 09:13:57 PM »
Use "Local OFF" and MIDI transfer  part>>Channel

pablitz

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 12:24:52 AM »
A midi keyboard costs almost nothing, the SX costs a lot because of the sounds, features etc. Just seems a little odd to buy it then deactivate all the features and sounds.

Hello,
In fact I always use the left with its sounds but I wanted to try to make it become a synthesizer through the Native Instruments kontakt program.

Offline Linson

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 06:38:58 PM »
Hi Pablitz,
It sounds very interesting set up. Please share if it works for you.
What is your thoughts on Native Instrument kontakt program? Is it worth to spend?
Thank you,

pablitz

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 11:14:57 AM »
Hi Pablitz,
It sounds very interesting set up. Please share if it works for you.
What is your thoughts on Native Instrument kontakt program? Is it worth to spend?
Thank you,

Hello,
For the use of a program that allows my sx-900 to be used as a sinth I am still in the evaluation phase.
On youtube and other sites I have seen that there are many programs that allow you to do this. Some are paid or trial while others are free,
However, I have heard good things about kontakt and its libraries that allow you to transform the keyboard into a sinth like kronos from korg or Motif from Yamaha or finally the specific libraries of Native.
However, programs such as Cubase, Halion, etc. are also valid.
However, all this can also be done simply with a midi keyboard.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 11:02:08 AM »
I use the DAW Studio One 5.2 software, its latest version, I have the NI KONTAKT integrated and within it, the complement VST SAMPLEISM CL Projects JD-850 which is like having a Roland JD-800, I get its sounds through the PSR-SX900 as a MIDI controller, they sound authentic. I have installed as a VST in the DAW Roland Cloud Manager with all the synths from the 80s of Roland, for example, the possibilities here are already endless and the Yamaha PSR-SX900 is convert into any synth you want as long as you work in DAW. The Yamaha PSR-SX900 is a monster as an arranger but to do real wonders at a professional level you need to use a DAW, VST plugins and a good audio interface at the home studio level, so the possibilities are endless.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:07:40 PM by Luis_Van_Gogh »

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 11:08:01 AM »
Kontakt is a sampler to modify sounds, record them and load them into a DAW, you will also need a DAW, for example, like Studio One that in its Artist version is very well priced and easy to use, you have everything at hand and from this you integrate the KONTAKT in the DAW and you enjoy wonderfully.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 11:30:46 AM by Luis_Van_Gogh »

The following users thanked this post: overover

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 11:16:40 AM »
I enjoy both ways with the PSR-SX900, when I want to play famous and well-known songs in direct I use only the PSR, when I want to compose music and create my own songs I use the PSR in the DAW with other instruments VST. And to finish, in a nutshell, the DAW is another world.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:09:32 PM by Luis_Van_Gogh »