Author Topic: Playlist or other trick to make smooth transitions  (Read 7618 times)

Playlist or other trick to make smooth transitions
« on: March 17, 2021, 06:40:56 AM »
I have read the manual but haven't seen anything too special about playlists beyond the obvious.

What is the fastest/smoothest way to go from song to song with almost no break, or perhaps to have a filler going between songs to fill dead air? I came up with one idea, which is to have a song loaded and use the song A -  B slider to transition in and out of it. Or just noodle on the piano while I switch to the next song, or open the playlist and load the new one before I finish the current song, then press the first registration button and go. Any other ideas?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Playlist or other trick to make smooth transitions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 02:28:23 PM »
I have read the manual but haven't seen anything too special about playlists beyond the obvious.

What is the fastest/smoothest way to go from song to song with almost no break, or perhaps to have a filler going between songs to fill dead air? I came up with one idea, which is to have a song loaded and use the song A -  B slider to transition in and out of it. Or just noodle on the piano while I switch to the next song, or open the playlist and load the new one before I finish the current song, then press the first registration button and go. Any other ideas?

I do it the old-fashioned way.

I create a gig folder of registrations.  As all my registrations use the sequencer, moving from one song to the next is simply pressing the pedal. You can’t get any faster than that.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, JohnStarbuck

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 08:53:21 PM »
Thanks for replying! What does a "gig folder" mean -- you mean on the Genos?

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 09:45:37 PM »
OK, am reading up on folders now...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 11:33:18 PM »
Thanks for replying! What does a "gig folder" mean -- you mean on the Genos?

I create a folder (date/location), and copy in the registrations I'm going to use for the gig. I then rename the registrations, inserting a sequence number, so they appear in the order I want.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 11:54:56 PM »
If you look in the style section of the PSR Tutorial you will find style collections called gig disks. When the keyboards used floppy disks, people had to carry with them several of these "gig disks" for a long evening of performance, as each disk only took about 30 styles. Times have changed! :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 02:06:21 AM »
Yes, and I found Fred's helpful video on the Tyros. I still haven't connected my Genos to the computer but I think managing the registrations will be much easier that way. Another question, if I put a registration in a new folder, that doesn't mean I have 2 copies of the registration, does it? Because that could get confusing if I make a change to one & not the other.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 11:53:47 AM »
If you have existing registrations on your Genos then just create your fold and then copy and save these registrations into the folder in the order you want them in. If using third party styles then make sure they are never moved or save them in the same folder. Playlist works the same really.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 04:39:38 PM »
Yes, and I found Fred's helpful video on the Tyros. I still haven't connected my Genos to the computer but I think managing the registrations will be much easier that way. Another question, if I put a registration in a new folder, that doesn't mean I have 2 copies of the registration, does it? Because that could get confusing if I make a change to one & not the other.

Having a gig folder does mean you have two (or more) copies of registrations. When it comes to modifying registrations, this can be good and bad. For example, you can create a text files specifically for the gig without affecting the master registration.

But if you want to make a permanent change, you have to do it to the master registration. The way I do it is, after the gig, I copy over any registrations that have a more recent time stamp. If you have a keyboard that doesn't time stamp your files, you need to ensure you are modifying only the master registration.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 02:33:50 PM »
I use the "Playlist" feature which is no more than a pointer to where the registration is stored.    It's very simple to create many Playlists. By using Playlist I don't have to rename or modify registrations.  I have about 10 that I use including the ones for holiday shows.   While I'm playing one song and nearing the end of it I simply scroll down to the next tune(registration) in Playlist, then highlight it then hit Reg button #1.  It provides a seamless transition.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:35:28 PM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 02:37:12 PM »
Yes it is easy to use and much better than the Music Finder.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 02:49:09 PM »
I use the "Playlist" feature which is no more than a pointer to where the registration is stored.    It's very simple to create many Playlists. By using Playlist I don't have to rename or modify registrations.  I have about 10 that I use including the ones for holiday shows.   While I'm playing one song and nearing the end of it I simply scroll down to the next tune(registration) in Playlist, then highlight it then hit Reg button #1.  It provides a seamless transition.

True, but Playlists don’t provide the solution the OP was looking for. As you said, you have to scroll down to the next entry, tap on it (twice), then press the reg button before it's ready to go. That’s not the quick transition the OP wanted.

The other problem with playlists is you have to keep its window open, and you lose access to the main screen.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 02:51:55 PM »
I just place styles in the order I want to use them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:12:43 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 03:02:41 PM »
True, but Playlists don’t provide the solution the OP was looking for. As you said, you have to scroll down to the next entry, tap on it (twice), then press the reg button before it's ready to go. That’s not the quick transition the OP wanted.

The other problem with playlists is you have to keep its window open, and you lose access to the main screen.

Cheers,
Fred

You bring up a good point.  I guess that's what' great about arrangers we have plenty of tools to do the job for us.  What works for me and that I find simple may not work for another.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 03:19:20 PM »
You bring up a good point.  I guess that's what' great about arrangers we have plenty of tools to do the job for us.  What works for me and that I find simple may not work for another.

What I would like to see is a Sequence End option that moves, not to the next registration, but to the next Playlist entry. Then we could use Playlists to their true potential.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 05:04:22 PM »
True, but Playlists don’t provide the solution the OP was looking for. As you said, you have to scroll down to the next entry, tap on it (twice), then press the reg button before it's ready to go. That’s not the quick transition the OP wanted. ...

Please note: You can set that when you call up a Playlist record, a certain Registration Memory button is activated immediately (e.g. Reg button #1).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 05:17:02 PM »
Please note: You can set that when you call up a Playlist record, a certain Registration Memory button is activated immediately (e.g. Reg button #1).

True, but it's annoying to have to set it up this way. Why can't the playlist initiate the first registration in the sequence? Then if I change the sequence, I don't have to redo the playlist(s).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 05:32:39 PM »
True, but it's annoying to have to set it up this way. Why can't the playlist initiate the first registration in the sequence? Then if I change the sequence, I don't have to redo the playlist(s). ...

Yes, this would be another useful option. Every user has a slightly different approach here. Personally, for example, I never work with Registration Sequences, mainly because you can only activate this function globally. And then at least one Pedal is always blocked, i.e. it cannot be used for "normal" Pedal functions.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2021, 05:51:58 PM »
Yes, what Fred said about the registration sequence ending and moving to the next playlist entry is what I had thought was the point of playlists.

I also discovered you can use the selection wheel and the enter button next to it to select a playlist song.

Cool! How do I do this?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:53:38 PM by SingerSongwriter »

Offline Colin D

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 06:02:31 PM »
True, but it's annoying to have to set it up this way. Why can't the playlist initiate the first registration in the sequence? Then if I change the sequence, I don't have to redo the playlist(s).

Cheers,
Fred

Fred, you can increment or Decrement the play list with the wheel and press enter, if you edit the song to run on button 1 it will auto start.

Regards

Colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q