Author Topic: Transposing in midi  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Pauljun

Transposing in midi
« on: March 16, 2021, 01:37:34 PM »
I'm facing the following problem.
It had the idea to record a song as a midifile with the Quick Recording option.
Before I started the recording I had made a full registration for this song. Including start and ending AND with twice a transpose.
This was all saved under the registration buttons. When I played the song using the registration buttons it worked fine.
However when I played the song again and recorded it as a midi file with the quick recording the transpose was not in the midifile.
What did I wrong? Who can give me a help?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Offline EileenL

Re: Transposing in midi
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 01:51:22 PM »
Before recording a midi with transpose in it make sure your transpose button is set to Keyboard and not master or Song.

The following users thanked this post: Pauljun

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »
There is a setting in Utility called Transpose Assign. For the recording, make sure it’s set to Keyboard.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 02:23:15 PM »
There is a setting in Utility called Transpose Assign. For the recording, make sure it’s set to Keyboard. ...

Hi Fred,

the setting you mentioned is only present on PSR-S and Tyros models. On Genos and PSR-SX models there is a difference how to assign the desired function to the Panel Transpose buttons:

You just open the Transpose pop-up window (e.g. by pressing [Menu] > Transpose) and select (highlight) one of the three lines Master, Keyboard or Song. (The most common setting is "Keyboard" here while "Master" and "Song" usually should be set to zero.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 02:35:52 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Online overover

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 02:28:54 PM »
Hi Paul,

a transposition is not "in the MIDI file" after recording, because the MIDI data are recorded directly in the actual sounding key.

Please make sure that the Transpose values for "Master" and "Song" are set to zero. Then you will hear your MIDI Song in the same key as recorded.

I also recommend assigning the parameter "Keyboard" to the Panel Transpose buttons. To do this, open the Transpose pop-up window (e.g. by pressing [Menu] > Transpose) and make sure the middle line "Keyboard" is highlighted.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 02:37:40 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Pauljun, mhack

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 04:23:34 PM »
the setting you mentioned is only present on PSR-S and Tyros models. On Genos and PSR-SX models there is a difference how to assign the desired function to the Panel Transpose buttons:

You just open the Transpose pop-up window (e.g. by pressing [Menu] > Transpose) and select (highlight) one of the three lines Master, Keyboard or Song. (The most common setting is "Keyboard" here while "Master" and "Song" usually should be set to zero.)

Thanks, Chris. Useful information.

One of the downsides of not being able to bring my keyboard with me to the US. I'm going a lot by memory.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons