Tyros Keyboards (5 Boards) > Tyros 3 (SFF2)

AUTHENTIC HAMMOND SOUND

<< < (4/4)

MadrasGiaguari:

--- Quote from: paslooping on March 13, 2021, 12:00:54 PM ---frozzers ,You have to unzip the RAR file and then import Hammond L122.ppf into YEM .... I just did it and everything is fine

--- End quote ---

Dear Danand,

I would partially disagree with your issue.

As a former Hammond L122R+Leslie 142 player (for many years), I can say that there is an Hammond "sound". And you recognize it even if you put only one finger on a key of an Hammond organ. And this unique taste is strictly due to both the sound generation and to the magic atmosphere given by the Leslie addition.

Other matter is to talk about Hammond setups or registrations, that is the result of multiple factors, as drawbars combinations, possible addition of Percussione, Chorus, Vibrato, Leslie (fast or slow, changes the sound significantly), reverb, and others. On the web there is an ocean of Hammond setups suggestions and axamples.
You can change hundreds of setups, but the Hammond sound stays, unmistakable.

Many of us search for getting an Hammond sound (in this sense) that could be as close as possible to the original (unreachable....) one.
And IMHO is not a maniac exercise, since a decent Hammond sound emulation helps inspiration whenever the music you want to play requires/suggests the Hammond.

Of course this is just a point of view  :)

Angelo

Oldden:
I agree that a lot of Hammond sounds do not really sound like a proper Hammond. I think the best answer is to do the equivalent of a Turing test which is done to test for  artificial intelligence. Put a Hammond and whatever is to be tested behind a curtain or get the tester, who has played a Hammond to close their eyes, play both instruments and if you can’t tell which is which, then that’s as good as it gets.
Oldden

LaHawk:
Yamaha arranger keyboards have gotten pretty darn good at simulating the sound of a Hammond organ, and customizing organ sounds helps. However the Leslie effect side of the equation is lacking.  The Rotary instant on/off, and the choices of fast or slow is ok, but certainly far from the real thing. Leslie speakers were never "instant" and depending on the Leslie wind up/down speeds were slower, sometimes much slower. And lets not forget how the Leslie  wood cabinet added to the unique over all sound of a Leslie, hard to replace that.

However if the rotary effect could be adjusted to a more richer, and a more realistic slower wind up Leslie effect, that would go a long way of getting that better sounding true Hammond / Leslie on an arranger keyboard.

Barnes:
If you want the real thing get the real thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version