Author Topic: Using the FC7 Fortissimo  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Bluesguy

Using the FC7 Fortissimo
« on: March 08, 2021, 05:26:14 AM »
Using the FC7 for volume but can't figure out how to use, if possible the Fortissimo function where you press down past the normal position and the spring return it back.

OPERATION OF THE FC7
Fortissimo functionThis allows you to selectively emphasise parts of your performance. As shown in the diagram, the pedal angle is 30° when fully raised. The pedal will rest at any point you take your foot off from fully raised to standard position. If you depress the pedal further from standard position, it will return to standard position when you take your foot off.Also, by adjusting the screw on the bottom, youmay adjust the spring return range from 0°–10°.

Would like to us for like a momentary volume boost.  If I hit direct access with the pedal in the normal position and then press down the SX900 does not recognize that range. Only when I move back does it get recognized. I have it set for the seated position.

Help!

Offline overover

Re: Using the FC7 Fortissimo
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 07:03:10 AM »
Hi Bluesguy,

this "Fortissimo" option of the FC7 Pedal is a purely MECHANICAL setting. In other words, in this setting the "standard" volume (when the Pedal is turned up to the mechanical resistance) is just a little QUIETER, and if you then depress the Pedal beyond the mechanical resistance to the end position, you have the same final volume as without the Fortissimo option.

In the "Assignable" display there are no separate settings for this "Fortissimo" option: After pressing [Direct Access] and slightly pressing the Pedal, make sure that the "Volume" function is set for the Pedal socket you are using. I also recommend that you only select the RIGHT parts at this point, so that the volume Pedal only controls these parts.

By the way: You should either save the Pedal settings in some so called "Setup Registrations" (so that you can quickly restore them if necessary), or you can save the Pedal settings in EVERY Registration. (In this case, however, it is relatively time-consuming later, e.g. if you want to change all pedal settings globally.)

P.S.
When the FC7 Pedal is FULLY depressed (regardless of whether the mechanical Fortissimo option is used or not) you will always have the same Volume level as if the Pedal were NOT connected.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:14:16 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Bluesguy

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 09:34:20 PM »
I fooled around with the 0-10 screw and got it going, guess it was set to 0 from the factory or something.

thanks

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 11:19:15 PM »
Dear Chris,

I got a new Genos a few months ago, and also an FC7 pedal.

I still have my Clavinova, using a Korg pedal (that I used to have in my "Korg period"), very smooth, as you can get to maximum volume with a short ride (I don't know if that word is correct....). This feature is similar to the pedal I had on my Hammond organ, able to offer a real expression control.

I found that on FC7 (that I like since does not "walk" on the floor) the range is very long, and it takes a much longer action to get from minimum to maximum volume, which doesn't help for a good expression control.

Do you have any idea if is possible to change/adjust this behavior of FC7?

Thank you,

Angelo

Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 02:26:21 AM »
Yes, it’s pretty much fully adjustable. Download the manual.
However, no matter how you adjust it, you might still find it a bit awkward to use, I know I do. It’s because, unlike the portable keyboards, the CVP has a hard board facing you under the keyboard. This makes it hard to set the kind of pedal/knee/ankle position that lets you easily operate this swell type pedal.
Mike

Offline casiokid

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 09:04:02 AM »
Its the electrical impedance.   The FC7 has an impedance of 50,000 ohm giving it a 'long throw' of incremental volume adjustment.  Whereas Korg and the majority of other keyboard volume pedals have impedances in the range of 10,000 to 12,000 ohm which gives them a ''short throw and almost behave like WAH-WAH pedals from which the alternative name of Expression pedals evolved for quicker changes in dynamics

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 04:50:34 PM »
Dear Mike, about waht you said:
It’s because, unlike the portable keyboards, the CVP has a hard board facing you under the keyboard.

...I was not clear enough:
I use:
-Korg EXP-2 with Clavinova, without problems (smooth and fast action);
-Yamaha FC7 with Genos (harder and slower action).
So the problem is not in Clavinova or Genos structure, but in the pedal...

About the manual, it shows how to use the Fortissimo function, and how to adjust the lowest position if the player is standing or sitting. But it doesn't say something about adjusting the range (Korg manual does; there is a knob devoted to that).

Thank you for your kind contribution.

I guess that the explanation is in Casiokid post, very reasonable.

Angelo
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 09:36:43 PM »
Hi Angelo,

the control range can neither be set on the Genos nor on the FC7. When the keyboard is powered on, the polarity of the connected expression pedal (e.g. the FC7) is automatically recognized, and the control range is set based on the resistance of the built-in potentiometer (with the FC7: 50kOhm). The latter always goes from "zero" to "full". (When the FC7 is used to control the volume, the volume when the pedal is fully depressed is the same as when the pedal is not connected.)

By the way: Most users want a wide (long) control range for a volume pedal. I also work with the FC7 (on Genos and Tyros5), with which I only control the volume of the RIGHT parts. I think the control range of the FC7 is optimal. Normally, in live operation, the volume is not always adjusted from "zero to full", instead I usually play with the pedal 50% - 80% depressed. This means I always have some reserve for loud accents. I also use the aforementioned control range for organ voices. I rarely play with a pedal position below 50% of the control range, i.e. with less than half the possible volume.

P.S.
It makes no difference which absolute resistance value the potentiometer of the expression pedal used has (e.g. 10, 12, 25, 50 or 100 kOhm.) The potentiometer works here as a so-called "voltage divider" circuit, i.e. as already mentioned, the resistance value is determined when the keyboard is powered on and then the control range is internally adjusted so that the pedal can always be used to control from "zero" to "full".

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:52:46 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 11:52:17 PM »
Dear Chris,

very, very interesting your explanations.

There is always so much to learn... And we are lucky to may learn from people as you are, whose knowledge goes much over the simple experience.

Thank you for your exhaustive answer.

Angelo

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 12:00:59 AM »
Thank you very much for your kind reply, Angelo! :)

All the best from Germany,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari