Author Topic: Can I Connect a USB MIDI Controller To My PSR-A2000  (Read 2867 times)

nasr_bajbair

Can I Connect a USB MIDI Controller To My PSR-A2000
« on: March 14, 2021, 05:41:08 AM »
Firstly, I apologize for posting in the general board (couldn't find a board for the PSR-A2000).

I own a PSR-A2000, and I found this 88-key semi-weighted USB MIDI controller on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Muslady-Portable-Controller-Keyboard-Semi-weighted/dp/B0878PSPXZ?th=1). Can I by any chance connect it to my arranger and use it as a controller to play different sounds, chords, etc...?

Argento

Re: Can I Connect a USB MIDI Controller To My PSR-A2000
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 04:49:53 PM »
Hello my friend!

There's a lot of capable musicians here, a lot more qualified than me about this, but:
I don't know if you can connect the midi keyboard direct;y to the Yamaha, BUT im 100% sure you can connect both to a laptop or desktop computer , and use the computer as the interface between them, using the Yamaha as midi output, (using the Yamaha included voices) or, using a software like Kontakt , on the computer, and using any instrument you dream on the computer as output.
For example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdsV0dOnbfw

Offline overover

Re: Can I Connect a USB MIDI Controller To My PSR-A2000
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 07:14:14 PM »
... I own a PSR-A2000, and I found this 88-key semi-weighted USB MIDI controller on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Muslady-Portable-Controller-Keyboard-Semi-weighted/dp/B0878PSPXZ?th=1). Can I by any chance connect it to my arranger and use it as a controller to play different sounds, chords, etc...?

Hi nasr_bajbair,

welcome to the PSR Tutorial forum!

If an external MIDI controller keyboard offers only a USB-MIDI OUT, it cannot be connected directly to the A2000 (neither using the USB-to-Device socket nor using the USB-to-Host socket). In this case, you have to use an additional, external "USB MIDI Host" device, e.g. the "Miditech USB MIDI Host". (See the "P.P.S." below.)

But in the present case this is NOT needed, because the "Muslady WORLDE Blue whale 88 Portable USB MIDI Controller Keyboard" (that you have linked in your first post) also has a DIN MIDI OUT socket. So you can just use a standard DIN MIDI cable to connect this keyboard to the A2000. (Use the MIDI IN socket on the A2000.)

- Set the external MIDI controller keyboard to Transmit Channel 1, then use the MIDI Setup on the A2000 to make the desired settings:

- Press [Function] > MIDI.

- Select the Preset MIDI template "All Parts".

- Press "EDIT" and go to "RECEIVE" tab.

- In the first line of the list ("MIDI / USB 1 CH1") select "KEYBOARD" in the column "PART" (instead of the default setting "SONG").

- To avoid unintentional changes on the A2000 when certain buttons on the external keyboard are pressed, in this first line remove the checkmarks in the columns "CC" (= Control Change) and "PC" (= Program Change). Leave the other boxes ("NOTE", "PB" and "AT" checked!

- Press [EXIT] button once to leave the EDIT display.

- Use [TAB] buttons to select the USER drive and press "SAVE".

- Enter a meaningful file name for your User MIDI template and press "OK" to save it in the User drive.

- Make sure that your new MIDI template is SELECTED now.

- Finished! :)

With this setting (Receive on Channel 1 / Part "KEYBOARD" @ MIDI Port 1) you can use the external keyboard exactly the same as the internal A2000 keyboard (including the Accompaniment and the current Split Points).

If you want to control only a single Keyboard Part of the A2000 from the external keyboard, just make another User MIDI template and set the channel "MIDI / USB 1 CH1" to e.g. "RIGHT3" instead of "KEYBOARD".

Note: If your external keyboard can be SPLIT to two independent keyboard sections that use two different MIDI channels, you can use one keyboard section for "CHORD DETECT", and the second keyboard section can control a certain Part of the A2000 (e.g. "RIGHT3"). If the external keyboard does NOT have this SPLIT function, you can control the Accompaniment only when using the FIRST method.

P.S.
Please note that the controller keyboard you mentioned does NOT have weighted "hammer action" keys (but only "semi-weighted" keys).

P.P.S.
To use an external MIDI controller keyboard that offers only a USB-MIDI OUT (no DIN MIDI OUT) you have to use an additional, external "USB MIDI Host" device, e.g. the "Miditech USB MIDI Host":

Please see also this thread:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,57053.msg443365.html#msg443365

From the USB-MIDI Host's DIN MIDI OUT you go to the DIN MIDI IN of the A2000.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 07:56:38 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)